20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:34 AM

Year: 2003
Make: Goldwing ABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
It's got a sixth gear so it will sell.
I'm sure Mother Honda knows better than me, but after years of anticipation and a pre-deposit at two dealers, I feel clinical depression settling in. Just to set the record straight, I've spent countless hours of excitement perusing the possibilities over more than a few years now, and I've owned a new 1100, 1500, and 1800. Been riding for 46 years, to include regular track days on a GSXR. I've been hair triggered to place my order first thing tomorrow morning.

In order of concerns---

First- No appreciable increase in power, other than apparently some midrange improvement. See link: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...11-fast-facts/

Second- Huge cargo reduction

Third- Smaller passenger seat

Fourth- Obnoxious sound

Fifth- Ya I know, 22% increase in mpg which is very impressive, no doubt, but did they really have to reduce weight and profile by knocking off a gallon of gas?

Where are the real crash guards, not the "engine bender assists" I notice, aftermarket be damned. My 1800 is a snap to pickup after an inadvertent parking lot tipover, will this one also do that?

All the other advances are surely expected and I'm sure the handling is awesome, just sayin.............

I've just graduated from years of 1. When can I finally put in an order? I can't stand the anticipation!!! 2. Now I'm not so sure. 3. Time to pull my deposit. 4. Guess old trusty 1800 will be around for quite awhile.

The only thing that could change my mind now would be proof of significantly improved acceleration, and some kind of solution for the absurd storage reduction, but I already have a luggage rack so that's a zero-sum fix. Oh, and maybe some plastic freezer bags rubber banned around the exhaust tips. This is a touring bike for Chr___st sakes. Not an open muffler gentleman V Twin. Does Honda really think that sport bike noise coming out of the rear end is going to convince a 25 year old digging in his pocket for enough change for his next Latte to pony up?

Price not an issue, I think they did a good job with that.

Last edited by WingVetteGsxr; 10-25-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:55 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Apparently this is it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Wow lots of changes. Some i did not see coming, like the reduction is gas tank size. I know they say you will get the same mileage but an extra 40+ would have been ok with me. Actually overall nice changes. I agree with some previous statements about the engine guards and smaller passenger seating but overall, looks pretty nice (the 6 speed was really needed). the price is not bad at all, was expecting to see 35k

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:08 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
They got rid of anywhere to mount highway pegs, someone will figure something out. They could probably easily get at least 150 hp from that engine with just computer remapping.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:33 AM

Crying in my soup about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
They got rid of anywhere to mount highway pegs, someone will figure something out. They could probably easily get at least 150 hp from that engine with just computer remapping.
If 150HP is possible through remapping in some shade tree mechanics backyard with a laptop plugged into the ECU, then Honda would have done it at the factory. Plus, and remapping could have unintended effects re: interacting with such a highly technologically wired bike. Not to mention screwing with emission controls. If BMW can put out a 160HP engine, what the hell is Honda thinking?

1/3 reduction in storage
Less comfortable passenger seat
Uninspiring increase in acceleration
Copycat loud Harley exhaust note sans the potato.

Other than the front suspension, which truly looks revolutionary, and the weight reduction, everything else that I can see is off the shelf stuff. This roll out is 8 years too late.

I'm not happy Mother Honda.
Not including assorted other bikes...1964 305 Superhawk, 1973 CL350, 1977 Honda 550-4, 1983 Goldwing, 1995 Goldwing, 1998 Valkyrie, 2003 Wing. Is this when my association with Honda ends after 46 years? How sad.
post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingVetteGsxr View Post
I'm not happy Mother Honda.
Not including assorted other bikes...1964 305 Superhawk, 1973 CL350, 1977 Honda 550-4, 1983 Goldwing, 1995 Goldwing, 1998 Valkyrie, 2003 Wing. Is this when my association with Honda ends after 46 years? How sad.
Honda is not the only manufacturer of motorcycles if you are not happy with them.

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Maybe the after market will make quieter mufflers. Did you also hear in the unveiling video that the bike has a starter/generator? No more 'Singing' alternator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briese View Post
Honda is not the only manufacturer of motorcycles if you are not happy with them.
Agreed, no argument. But after owning Hondas since 1971, and anticipating this roll out for years now, I'm at a loss to see how such a bike with many huge improvements could drop the ball in such critical areas.
The video actually advertised "enough storage for that three day weekend trip". Seriously? Really? Three days! 110 liters?? Our average trip is two weeks or more.
A brand new ground up 4 valve engine with a 5HP bump?
Noisy pipes and degraded seating.

It's either GTL here I come, and I'm NO fan of Beemers, or suck it up and buy the G/W Tour and live with some great positives, but also some major deficiencies.
post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Large Member

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: SE
Garage
Not sure this video gives the whole picture. I would be interested in seeing it up close and personal before making any decisions. That being said, I don't see anything here that makes me 'want' to give up my 1500. Of course, I just got it this year and starting to really like the 1500. Reducing storage, fuel tank capacity, and the loud pipes simply deter me away from it. Really, the only things that I see as improvements are the 6 or 7 gears and the front suspension. The rest is ho-hum.
WingVetteGsxr likes this.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
101421 miles as of 091418

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmo View Post
Not sure this video gives the whole picture. I would be interested in seeing it up close and personal before making any decisions. That being said, I don't see anything here that makes me 'want' to give up my 1500. Of course, I just got it this year and starting to really like the 1500. Reducing storage, fuel tank capacity, and the loud pipes simply deter me away from it. Really, the only things that I see as improvements are the 6 or 7 gears and the front suspension. The rest is ho-hum.
I'd add the pathetic increase in engine power to the negatives. But to be fair, there are a lot of other positives. Wind protection, weight, riding modes and traction control.

The key fob, electric windscreen, heated seats, gear indicator, and TPMS are old hat upgrades that have been around for years but Honda is trying to pass them off as "revolutionary". Oh please.

I do think price is very reasonable though.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page