News on '18 wing ?? - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Maybe the after market will make quieter mufflers. Did you also hear in the unveiling video that the bike has a starter/generator? No more 'Singing' alternator.
I did not hear the exhaust note of the new 1800 so I'm not convinced that it is any louder than the current 1800.

Yes, I did see that there is a starter/alternator but can't really comment on that. I've never seen a starter/alternator. What kind of singing do you think it will not be there? Electrical or mechanical? How will a combination starter/alternator eliminate it?

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingVetteGsxr View Post
I'd add the pathetic increase in engine power to the negatives. But to be fair, there are a lot of other positives. Wind protection, weight, riding modes and traction control.

The key fob, electric windscreen, heated seats, gear indicator, and TPMS are old hat upgrades that have been around for years but Honda is trying to pass them off as "revolutionary". Oh please.

I do think price is very reasonable though.
From the roll out video, it is easy to make comments pro and con but I think final judgement should be held until it is physically available to touch, hear and test ride.

So far I think it is a great new machine but I will wait until February for final judgement.

post #33 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Everyone seems to have that they decreased the engine (using 73 mm bore). Would like to see the mechanical specs to see if the final drive ratio was changed, also what the transmission gear ratios are. From what I've seen pretty sure I'll stay with my original response - I'll keep my '02

Andy
2002 GL1800

"Always have a smile on your face, makes everyone else think you're getting away with something"

If you woke up this morning, don't complain - You woke up!

"It's amazing how much good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Looks like my '02 is going to stay with me.
WingVetteGsxr likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Pissed that when you stop the video to be able to look at a certain feature, they put up overlays that prevent you from seeing all of the lower half of the screen.

~ John

post #36 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:38 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingVetteGsxr View Post
If 150HP is possible through remapping in some shade tree mechanics backyard with a laptop plugged into the ECU, then Honda would have done it at the factory. Plus, and remapping could have unintended effects re: interacting with such a highly technologically wired bike. Not to mention screwing with emission controls. If BMW can put out a 160HP engine, what the hell is Honda thinking?

I see nowhere I said a shadetree would do it, I used "they" as in Honda. Yes BMW gets 160 hp from a 1600cc engine, no reason why Honda can't do it with an 1800.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #37 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:40 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopeha View Post
Everyone seems to have that they decreased the engine (using 73 mm bore). Would like to see the mechanical specs to see if the final drive ratio was changed, also what the transmission gear ratios are. From what I've seen pretty sure I'll stay with my original response - I'll keep my '02
It's still 1833cc. I'll keep mine to, I think the new one is ugly comparatively, even to the 2nd gen.
lopeha likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #38 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Make: 2015 FLHTK Harley
Model: Interested in the 2018
Wait til you see it in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmo View Post
Not sure this video gives the whole picture. I would be interested in seeing it up close and personal before making any decisions. That being said, I don't see anything here that makes me 'want' to give up my 1500. Of course, I just got it this year and starting to really like the 1500. Reducing storage, fuel tank capacity, and the loud pipes simply deter me away from it. Really, the only things that I see as improvements are the 6 or 7 gears and the front suspension. The rest is ho-hum.
I agree with you. I want to see one up close and test ride it, then decide. I want the important one (wife) to sit on the passenger seat. If the bike will carry two-up at speeds above 70MPH over the posted limit [see **shole Houston drivers], I don't care about the size of the fuel tank. I stop every hour anyway. I don't care about storage. I'm going to buy a trailer. I think it's a damn good looking bike. If the new front suspension is the real deal and dual clutch transmission works as advertised, I'm sold. The first year anything/any model is going to have bugs that need ironing out. It looks like after-market stuff is needed and those things might be awhile coming out. Give it a chance.
post #39 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Model: N/A
Here is my .02 c... I have not ridden a Goldwing. I recently sold my 2011 Harley RGU. I have been considering either a K1600GTL, Gold Wing, or going back to the current year RGU. Having said that here is my opinion..

I wasn't 'blown away' as I hoped I would be. As a person within the demographics this redesign is meant to reach, I think they did a good job aesthetically. My Wife likes the appearance of the '17 but she didn't like the 'sporty' look of the ST1300 I had either.

The factory add on of a CB Radio is what keeps me from going to the BMW right off the bat.

The backrest option is a wonderful change. The aftermarket options of the older models are less than appetizing to me...

From what I have been told about fully adjustable air shocks... I am surprised Honda has moved away from that to a pre-load suspension. Perhaps aftermarket will permit a fully adjustable air shock??? This is a major point of consideration for me. I *need* the couch of a bike due to the fact I had surgery and even if not for that, no one likes bottoming the shocks out.

Regarding the DCT. I am skeptical. Not because it's new... or because it's a change. But because when I learned to ride, it was drilled into me that when you come in too hot into a corner (not if as everyone eventually does it...) you should come off the throttle, stand the bike up, straighten up, and downshift like a mad man then brake ... braking in a corner is the absolute worst thing you can do type of teaching... so how does the DCT behave when in an evasive maneuver where downshifting may be a great way to adjust the handle to the bike and power to the wheels?

Regarding the adjustable windshield. ... about friggin time... holy hell. if you've never experienced the adjustable windshield, you are in for a treat.

The slightly smaller storage is a null point. You might have to leave an extra shirt at home... big deal. it's inconsequential for most people. Either you pack less, ship things ahead, or get a trailer.

Remaining questions are do they still come with heated seats? Or is it now an upgrade? What about heated grips? Can you plug a wire in for the passenger comms and CB? if not... what about half helmets? How does one utilize a half helmet with the CB?
What about highway pegs? From photos I do not see where they would integrate and even the GTL comes with them. If Honda got rid of the ability to have Highway Pegs that can be a deal breaker... Long distance riders will understand this.

Regarding controls for the electronics - It is awesome that there is a dial on BOTH the handlebar AND the tank. I hope to see that the compass style arrows are still on the handlebars and can control selections. Anyone who has fiddled with the Harley dial for the control center can attest that it can be a pain to be precise without taking your attention away from the road for an uncomfortable moment.

Vents... some reports are that the new design has good vents integrated... WHERE?? the additional add-on for outer deflectors leaves me little comfort that there is still the slick air directing vents that the older models have. this could be a bit of an issue for those blistering hot days.

I'll definitely wait to see what deals are being made on remaining older generation Gold Wings once the '18s are available on showrooms... I've heard will be around Feb. ... I'll test ride both the new and the old and make some decisions from there.

Options trading is the thing that finally lets me do what I want...
post #40 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot View Post
Here is my .02 c... I have not ridden a Goldwing. I recently sold my 2011 Harley RGU. I have been considering either a K1600GTL, Gold Wing, or going back to the current year RGU. Having said that here is my opinion..
First, ride a Gold Wing.
Then test ride one of Honda's DCT bikes.
Then test ride the new 1800 when available in January.
Then come back and review it for us.

You will have a different opinion, I promise.

If you do nothing else, test ride or at least talk to someone that owns one of the DCT bikes like the Africa Twin, CT700X, NC700 or the NM4. You will be amazed what the DCT can do. The DCT has been around for a few years.
http://en.honda-dct.com/

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page