News on '18 wing ?? - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
One thing I noted that was said in the video. The final drive ratio remains the same. So the 6th gear is not a higher gear than what it has now, just added more ratios. That sucks as I always felt a sixth gear above the current 5th would be a good thing.

The DCT is certainly intriguing, I would love an auto transmission especially since I ride a trike.

Other things need to be seen and experienced.

Price does seem reasonable but I need it to be triked and I don't have that kind of money sitting around so I will have to watch and wish.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by briese View Post
I did not hear the exhaust note of the new 1800 so I'm not convinced that it is any louder than the current 1800.

Yes, I did see that there is a starter/alternator but can't really comment on that. I've never seen a starter/alternator. What kind of singing do you think it will not be there? Electrical or mechanical? How will a combination starter/alternator eliminate it?
Some people didn't like the whining (singing) sound made by the current alternators. Hopefully by combining the 2 into one it will go away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #43 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:03 PM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...11-fast-facts/

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:35 PM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
Overall, riding the "2001" Honda Gold Wing tells me it is a significant upgrade at every level. The old 1500 now seems like a dated, bloated, couch on wobbly wheels. That’s not fair because it is a great motorcycle, and deserves its many accolades and iconic status. However, the new 2001 Honda Gold Wing is simply a quantum leap of an improvement, and there’s no easy way to break that to you if you own a previous iteration.

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #45 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:02 PM

Year: 2003
Make: Goldwing ABS
Some good points below but a few I disagree with. If you come into a corner too fast, then by the time you "downshift like crazy", it's too late. Brakes are what stops a bike, pure and simple. And learning to brake while leaned over is a must have skill. You need to know how to brake while avoiding an obstacle, car, whatever. And if you insist on downshifting before hitting the brakes in an emergency, then you will be able to do so far quicker with DCT than manually. I'm not saying I'm totally sold on DCT, but that's a different issue.

As an aside, I know that the Rider and Safety schools teach to stand the bike up and brake in a straight line. (They don't teach to downshift first.) I subscribed to this philosophy until I started to seriously ride a motorcycle at the racetrack. The opinion of the instructors there, and we're not just talking about racing, is that that method of teaching is killing people. You have to learn to brake while you are turning and avoiding an object by quickly changing and setting a new line.

As far as storage being no big deal, for me it is. The reduction of 40 liters of storage equates to a lot more than a shirt. My wife and I take multi-week trips and as good as we are at paring down, it's still a struggle on my '03. This is not some minor capacity reduction, it's unacceptably huge. As far as pulling trailer, I did it on several very long trips and personally don't like it. Even with a modern Bushtec. Total PIA IMHO.

I didn't see anything about powerlet/BMW plug-ins for a vest. Anyone know anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot View Post
Here is my .02 c... I have not ridden a Goldwing. I recently sold my 2011 Harley RGU. I have been considering either a K1600GTL, Gold Wing, or going back to the current year RGU. Having said that here is my opinion..

I wasn't 'blown away' as I hoped I would be. As a person within the demographics this redesign is meant to reach, I think they did a good job aesthetically. My Wife likes the appearance of the '17 but she didn't like the 'sporty' look of the ST1300 I had either.

The factory add on of a CB Radio is what keeps me from going to the BMW right off the bat.

The backrest option is a wonderful change. The aftermarket options of the older models are less than appetizing to me...

From what I have been told about fully adjustable air shocks... I am surprised Honda has moved away from that to a pre-load suspension. Perhaps aftermarket will permit a fully adjustable air shock??? This is a major point of consideration for me. I *need* the couch of a bike due to the fact I had surgery and even if not for that, no one likes bottoming the shocks out.

Regarding the DCT. I am skeptical. Not because it's new... or because it's a change. But because when I learned to ride, it was drilled into me that when you come in too hot into a corner (not if as everyone eventually does it...) you should come off the throttle, stand the bike up, straighten up, and downshift like a mad man then brake ... braking in a corner is the absolute worst thing you can do type of teaching... so how does the DCT behave when in an evasive maneuver where downshifting may be a great way to adjust the handle to the bike and power to the wheels?

Regarding the adjustable windshield. ... about friggin time... holy hell. if you've never experienced the adjustable windshield, you are in for a treat.

The slightly smaller storage is a null point. You might have to leave an extra shirt at home... big deal. it's inconsequential for most people. Either you pack less, ship things ahead, or get a trailer.

Remaining questions are do they still come with heated seats? Or is it now an upgrade? What about heated grips? Can you plug a wire in for the passenger comms and CB? if not... what about half helmets? How does one utilize a half helmet with the CB?
What about highway pegs? From photos I do not see where they would integrate and even the GTL comes with them. If Honda got rid of the ability to have Highway Pegs that can be a deal breaker... Long distance riders will understand this.

Regarding controls for the electronics - It is awesome that there is a dial on BOTH the handlebar AND the tank. I hope to see that the compass style arrows are still on the handlebars and can control selections. Anyone who has fiddled with the Harley dial for the control center can attest that it can be a pain to be precise without taking your attention away from the road for an uncomfortable moment.

Vents... some reports are that the new design has good vents integrated... WHERE?? the additional add-on for outer deflectors leaves me little comfort that there is still the slick air directing vents that the older models have. this could be a bit of an issue for those blistering hot days.

I'll definitely wait to see what deals are being made on remaining older generation Gold Wings once the '18s are available on showrooms... I've heard will be around Feb. ... I'll test ride both the new and the old and make some decisions from there.

Last edited by WingVetteGsxr; 10-25-2017 at 07:07 PM.
post #46 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Year: 2005
Make: Honda VTX1300S
Model: None...have owned GL1200s in the past
Garage
Here`s an article from a Calgary paper.

http://driving.ca/honda/auto-news/ne...onda-gold-wing

RCAF-Retired
05 Honda VTX 1300S.Had GL1200`s in the past.
post #47 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:46 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
One thing I noted that was said in the video. The final drive ratio remains the same. So the 6th gear is not a higher gear than what it has now, just added more ratios. That sucks as I always felt a sixth gear above the current 5th would be a good thing..
People whined for years wanting a 6 speed but mostly didn't specify what for. They got what they asked for but not the desired result. I was always an advocate of higher final drive ratios and leave the 5 speed as is, 1st is too low to be useful anyway. You don't need a lot of gears when you have that much torque.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #48 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:49 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingVetteGsxr View Post
If you come into a corner too fast, then by the time you "downshift like crazy", it's too late.
I think that's a Harley thing, I hear them shifting constantly. On the 1800 I can ride almost any road in the state without coming out of 5th.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #49 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Model: 96 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
One thing I noted that was said in the video. The final drive ratio remains the same. So the 6th gear is not a higher gear than what it has now, just added more ratios. That sucks as I always felt a sixth gear above the current 5th would be a good thing.

The DCT is certainly intriguing, I would love an auto transmission especially since I ride a trike.

Other things need to be seen and experienced.

Price does seem reasonable but I need it to be triked and I don't have that kind of money sitting around so I will have to watch and wish.
I heard that part too, and wondered if they meant the same as the current 1800? Or is it different from current but the same between the two offered transmissions? I am kinda leaning towards the latter of the two since the purpose of the video was to showcase the new bike. To me, he said the DCT and manual have the same final drive ratio.
post #50 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 02:42 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccaz View Post
I heard that part too, and wondered if they meant the same as the current 1800? Or is it different from current but the same between the two offered transmissions? I am kinda leaning towards the latter of the two since the purpose of the video was to showcase the new bike. To me, he said the DCT and manual have the same final drive ratio.

That could be, I guess we will know for sure when someone gets one on the road at 65 MPH and checks the RPM's.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page