For those not happy about the new 2018 Wing's direction... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 12Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

For those not happy about the new 2018 Wing's direction...

...and wanting to replace their current ride, for a 2018 model from any other manufacturer's tour lineup , might want to read some postings from the following site, regarding problems with Harley Davidson. I couldn't believe what I was reading...wow. As with any purchase, from any manufacturer, as always, Buyer Beware...

Perhaps sometimes, most times, if your present ride 'ain't broken'....well, you know the drill (smile).

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto..._davidson.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Not one to defend Harley but most of those I read were dealer service problems or id10t owners.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 PM
NGM

Year: 2003
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1800 ABS
Garage
Send a message via MSN to NGM Send a message via Yahoo to NGM
My wife has a 10 Fatboy low. She loves that bike. I like to ride it from time to time, but since it is pink with purple butterflies on it I do not ride it much.. lol
gulfrider likes this.

No matter where you go there you are.... Buckaroo Bonzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Not one to defend Harley but most of those I read were dealer service problems or id10t owners.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right...that very well could be, but I have been drinking my way through about 5 coffee's this afternoon...and I 'think'....that I might see why Honda took the road it did with the new 2018 Gold Wing. Basically the following link should let the reader glean, (it's about Harley's declining sales...a serious decline in large Tour bikes...) but if you allow yourself, past Harley...this can be probably threatening ALL motorcycle manufacturers..., that Millennials (probably Gen X's as well!) are NOT too interested in taking up the slack of falling large tour motorcycles sales, and that Honda could have downsized their own 2018 offering, to appeal to 'boomers that are finding (age and health), to keep holding up their loaded 2-up with luggage Gold Wing...now a challenge. There is obviously more to meet the eye, than merely that overall reduction in size of the new Gold Wing...as well as its lower gross weight....due to design cuts.

Things to certainly ponder. No matter, although it is not my cup of tea...it certainly can be a cup of tea for another 'boomer. Car manufacturers are even feeling the heat, as regards Millennial's uptake of their offerings. Millennials are truly a new breed...and kudos to them...that they do not want to be saddled with thousands of dollars of debt. They are (lots of them) ALREADY saddled with multi-thousand dollars of educational debt, that comes with that freshly printed velum......so....

perhaps Honda Marketing is crunching all the signs...and tried to put out a Wing that the older 'boomer could handle physically, and that **might** tag a Gen X or Millennial to slip a leg over the saddle.... Who knows? One thing is for sure, I got an education this afternoon, in that the Motorcycling genre, is in a downward trend, sadly, universally right now, as 'boomers hand over the ignition 'keys', to the following generations.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...hog/487161001/

I recommend to all the following google search link. If you read the articles of Harley's market share and financial woes right now...it might be rather actually 'universal' and shared, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, all or them...

Post Edit: I think I also realize why my next ride...from Yamaha, is having them closing in for the 'kill'....on large-bore American'esq...two-cylinder V-twins with high torque ratings.....they also followed, and logged the trend at MoCo,... and made their blitzkrieg move, in 2018.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Are+Harley+sales+declining%3F&rls=com.mic rosoft:en-US:{referrer:source?}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=t1b6WYuXFoeR8QfB kIDQCA

Last edited by Goldwing Dude2; 11-01-2017 at 07:10 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:07 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Interesting writing and comments. It goes along great with coffee. Keep going and TY

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:27 AM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Still have to give the new 1800 GW a chance.

This is reminiscent of the Honda Civic and other Asian models when introduced into North America. These cars were small boxes that gave fantastic fuel economy for the day, and the big 4 over here were told this specifically. Fast forward to the '90s and 2000s, and the size of these cars have blossomed into what we North Americans want - big vehicles so we can take whatever, wherever. Same has occurred in the housing market, the size of houses have blossomed as well for the same number of people living in them.

There are so many times I have traveled, packed what I thought I would need and not used everything. Technology has advanced so much that new textiles make travel gear quite small, and camping gear smaller as well.

I submit that the bottom line is if you are happy with what you have, ride and enjoy. If you are in the mood, market for something new, make a list and treat it like a house - go shopping.

Wouldn't mind riding one to see what it is like. My 1800 has the Traxxion suspension and seat modified to suit. Would be a good comparison I think.

As for the distance that the fuel tank will give you, I submit that there are few of us that will ride for the distance of the tank. I can go some 250 to 300 miles on my 2008. I have done this but had a sore butt when I stopped. The reality is that a stop every 100 to 150 miles is more the norm.

The luggage capacity would also dictate that I be more frugal in how I pack and what I would take. Spent two weeks on the road to LA and back with my '85 1200 LTD and did not have to do laundry, nor was I fully loaded even riding two-up. The 1200 has more storage capacity than the new 1800.

I'm also curious as to whether the new 1800 will keep rain off me when moving like my '08. The '08 is extremely good in the wet when it comes to protecting the rider and passenger.

The new dash is extremely nice, and so are the bells and whistles. More than I need but long overdue.

The new 1800 is a fresh look and probably quite nice to ride from what I have read. Never owned an HD, or a BMW, but I have issues with these bikes as well. As for the new 1800, a test ride for a day would be nice. If it meets with the need/requirement and I was in the market, possibly.

The new Yamaha is a very stylish, eye catching bike - not my cup of tea either, but I do look forward to seeing one and talking to those who ride them - did the same with the new Indian as well. Looked at the specs for the new Yamaha and it can weigh in at some 960 pounds wet. Will it get to be known as an older persons heavy bike, much like the stigma with the GW.

Change is never easy, and the old saying "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind here. Not easy being on the production end of anything.

I'm willing to give it a chance and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. Never know, could be in the market for a different bike in a few years when I might get tired of working on them, maintenance or otherwise. Want one of those Honda concept bikes that can follow you around like a faithful canine - let it park itself.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, always going to be something new come to the fore that could supplant whatever you have.

Cheers
gulfrider likes this.

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 03:00 PM

Model: 2006 ST 1300
Garage
This was posted on the ST forum I frequent. You have to back up to the first post for pictures.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...-Display-Today

For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.... Shooter (2Late45)

1986 Interstate, 2006 ST 1300
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
Still have to give the new 1800 GW a chance.

This is reminiscent of the Honda Civic and other Asian models when introduced into North America. These cars were small boxes that gave fantastic fuel economy for the day, and the big 4 over here were told this specifically. Fast forward to the '90s and 2000s, and the size of these cars have blossomed into what we North Americans want - big vehicles so we can take whatever, wherever. Same has occurred in the housing market, the size of houses have blossomed as well for the same number of people living in them.

There are so many times I have traveled, packed what I thought I would need and not used everything. Technology has advanced so much that new textiles make travel gear quite small, and camping gear smaller as well.

I submit that the bottom line is if you are happy with what you have, ride and enjoy. If you are in the mood, market for something new, make a list and treat it like a house - go shopping.

Wouldn't mind riding one to see what it is like. My 1800 has the Traxxion suspension and seat modified to suit. Would be a good comparison I think.

As for the distance that the fuel tank will give you, I submit that there are few of us that will ride for the distance of the tank. I can go some 250 to 300 miles on my 2008. I have done this but had a sore butt when I stopped. The reality is that a stop every 100 to 150 miles is more the norm.

The luggage capacity would also dictate that I be more frugal in how I pack and what I would take. Spent two weeks on the road to LA and back with my '85 1200 LTD and did not have to do laundry, nor was I fully loaded even riding two-up. The 1200 has more storage capacity than the new 1800.

I'm also curious as to whether the new 1800 will keep rain off me when moving like my '08. The '08 is extremely good in the wet when it comes to protecting the rider and passenger.

The new dash is extremely nice, and so are the bells and whistles. More than I need but long overdue.

The new 1800 is a fresh look and probably quite nice to ride from what I have read. Never owned an HD, or a BMW, but I have issues with these bikes as well. As for the new 1800, a test ride for a day would be nice. If it meets with the need/requirement and I was in the market, possibly.

The new Yamaha is a very stylish, eye catching bike - not my cup of tea either, but I do look forward to seeing one and talking to those who ride them - did the same with the new Indian as well. Looked at the specs for the new Yamaha and it can weigh in at some 960 pounds wet. Will it get to be known as an older persons heavy bike, much like the stigma with the GW.

Change is never easy, and the old saying "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind here. Not easy being on the production end of anything.

I'm willing to give it a chance and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. Never know, could be in the market for a different bike in a few years when I might get tired of working on them, maintenance or otherwise. Want one of those Honda concept bikes that can follow you around like a faithful canine - let it park itself.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, always going to be something new come to the fore that could supplant whatever you have.

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------

Great post, enjoyed the reading of it!

Being that I have ordered the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental, and it should be at my dealership the first week of January, (Ontario will be locked in Winter, sad to say...), but hope to ride it home on a salt dust-free, sunny clear day to wait it out until late March, April...etc.... I will certainly post pictures when I get it...and create a sort of rider blog about my likes and possibly (fairly) less-than-likes. I certainly don't hold any preconceived 'concerns' in that regard. I did a magnifying glass, due diligence 'all-nighters' after the Wing launch...so am quite excited for that delivery day to finally arrive, my wife included.

I agree with you, about not running to every last drop in the gas tank, and we also like to stop about every 150 miles or so (yep...butt break, kidney break, coffee/Pepsi break) but we still do Maxwell House, to the last drop runs when we wish to haunt Myrtle Beach, S.C, over and through the Blue Ridge Mountains. With a 6.6 gallon (U.S. gallon) capacity on our new ride....no worries of getting caught between (we roll up the sidewalks at 20:00 hours) towns. Did once...in Nova Scotia...(scared the you-know-what out of us...and won't happen again! That was on even the '08 GL1800!) We never thought that gas stations would close by 22:00 hours...and folks...in rural Nova Scotia---THEY DO! FYI.

Could we have stayed with our '08 GL1800? Of course, and in the condition it was, certainly. Frankly, I was fed up to the nine's with----> and RESENTED the fact that Honda would bury a need's-replaceable air filter element, in the dead center 'bowels' of the motorcycle, requiring one to strip half the bike down, literally, actually take totally un-associated parts of the bike apart, TO EVEN GET TO IT (...don't even let me get started.....blood pressure is rising...), and that it cost me always around $450.00 'out the door element/labour/taxes. Frankly...if I didn't see this corrected by new Goldwing design, in the total 'new' make-over next generation Wing....well...frankly I was done with the franchise.

They didn't address this...and any 2018 Gold Wing adopter, will STILL have to pay through the nose, for what should be a 10-15 minute RELAXING effort to swap out the old air cleaner, for the new. I will have that now with the Star Venture T.C.

So, not only was that we saw the new saddle ergonomics, and the new cut-back for luggage capacity...there were other personal, better-change-or-else design requirements, that did not get those changes. So? We traded the Wing in. All my concerns now, have been met. Things are good.

I think that the new Wing is a hot looking bike. It looks great, probably handles like a dream, all of that. Just though....their new design subset, made it a no-purchase for this couple.

All your points are well taken. I totally agree with all of them. The new 2018 Wing is certainly going to find a home in many garages. In many other garages, it won't. Life!

BTW folks, for those (like us...) that have never toured on two wheels to Newfoundland....I have heard from SO MANY tour and single riders, that it is a **MUST DO** tour. We did the Cabot Trail (Nova Scotia) two years ago in early September (after everybody's rug-rats were back in school and off the road, lol) and it was there basically in pubs, etc...eating lobster by the roadside...that we heard other folks rave on and on about Newfoundland's rugged beauty, sleepy towns, a great people, and of course...my passion: LOBSTER! Even McDonald's there, has a lobster 'burger' on the menu. Yep...no lie....

I'm now rambling...so have to stop typing, lol. The sound of a big Tour, V-twin heading towards lobster shacks, pub fiddle music, is dancing around my head...and not, season coming; with candy canes, LOLOLOLOL! Oh..I dropped a printed catalog of Star Venture 'goodies' and accessories, near the entrance of the front door...my clumsy...my mistake...**dang that my wife has to pick it up** and clean up after me...yeah...dang....HO-HO-and HO.... Merry Christmas.....))))

Cheers,
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Such long, long posts just to say you don't like a bike you've never seen, let alone ridden, makes me wonder...why?

This is a Gold Wing forum and such a barrage of negative about the new model is getting a bit old for this GL fan. Bet I'm not alone with that.
JamesPal and Trailboss like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Where I come from we call it verbal diarrhea.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page