LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Oil Changes

most of us bikers are pretty good about changing the oil on a regular basis.

our Pontiac Vibe has been on a synthetic oil since the 1st or 2nd oil change....
Mardonna would not take care of her car, so our son, made it a point to put synthetic in it and he changed it every time he happened to be home.....

this was during a period of life in which Mardonna and I weren't team mates.... sigh...

anyway, this car now has over 80,000 miles on it now, and is now 12 months since the last change with Mobile-1

I just happened across a blurb on Facebook where the guy was showing what the oil looked like in a car with over 100k on the engine, and the last oil change record was 50,000 miles back. that jogged my mind about having been wanting to do an oil sample last year, and forgot to tell the shop to save it for me.

pretty sorry mess the TV video is.

Anyway, a year or so ago, just before Mardonna got really sick, I noticed that the radiator fluid level was low. don't know why, so I topped it off with a silica free antifreeze...

the oil blurb made want to get an oil sample sent off, so I am saving some tomorrow when the oil gets changed again... in a clean glass jar...

Ordered a Blackstone Labs oil sample kit tonight, 7-14 day delivery they say.

just a curious note, I want to know how this engine is doing?
runs fine, no problems ever, except that one time when I noticed the engine temp gauge was "reading different" and that led to the low level discovery in the radiator.

The car is a 2007 and the antifreeze has never been changed, so I am thinking that might be a good thing to do.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
I'd have to agree on the antifreeze. I know GM touted 5 years/150k on Dexcool. I saw more than a few long before that mileage have a radiator neck full of gelatinous goo. Goo does not flow well...

Curious what you find with the oil test.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 08:30 AM

Garage
I get the oil changed in my vehicle often. I get coupons from the dealer for $8.88 and $19.99. You can't beat that price, my 2015 Titan takes 6 qts of oil so that's a great deal. After I retired the car I drove to work was used very little, I had the oil changed in it every 6 months, sometimes I would have under 500 miles on it. The way I figure, it's cheap insurance.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page