2Likes
  • 1 Post By xpc316e
  • 1 Post By xpc316e

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE
Who else is disabled and riding a Goldwing?

My left shoulder joint has been partially replaced; the socket is OEM, but the ball part is a titanium hemisphere glued to the top of my humerus. My right shoulder has been fully rebuilt; both ball & socket have been replaced. This was due to osteo-arthritis. I am 61 years of age.

I now have fairly stable joints; they do dislocate at times, but pop right back in. I have very little strength in my right arm though and if I remove my hand from the throttle, the wind pressure is enough to prevent me from putting my hand back on the grip.

As you can imagine, this has resulted in a new style of riding and I simply cannot take any weight on my arms. It means that an upright riding position is an absolute necessity. I cannot throw bikes from side to side very quickly, as I used to, so rapid cornering no longer features in my repertoire, but you know what - I am still riding, and that is what matters to me.

Who else out there is disabled and what changes have you made to your bike and the way you ride?

1991 GL1500 SE, 127,000+ miles, fitted with a 1999 engine & gearbox.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
There are a lot of guys on this site who are senior to me, but I will speak for myself. I have a knee replacement and I'm 64. When I discovered the only way to relieve the pain was a knee replacement my doctor recommended I get physical therapy with the hope of making my natural knee last longer. I did it and it delayed the surgery. I took the PT seriously after the surgery. That was about 5 years ago. I still go the gym twice a week. My normal work out includes 20-25 minutes of cardio, weight lifting (30 bench press lifts with 100#) for upper and lower body strength and I do about 60 sit ups. Most people are surprised when they find out my age. I could not imagine going into the golden years without doing something about keeping my strength. I can feel the decline if a slack for a couple of weeks and I can tell if I stop working out will be my last year riding large bikes. If you have health care insurance go to your doctor and get on the PT. It will make a difference.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 PM
life is good

Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpc316e View Post
My left shoulder joint has been partially replaced; the socket is OEM, but the ball part is a titanium hemisphere glued to the top of my humerus. My right shoulder has been fully rebuilt; both ball & socket have been replaced. This was due to osteo-arthritis. I am 61 years of age.

I now have fairly stable joints; they do dislocate at times, but pop right back in. I have very little strength in my right arm though and if I remove my hand from the throttle, the wind pressure is enough to prevent me from putting my hand back on the grip.

As you can imagine, this has resulted in a new style of riding and I simply cannot take any weight on my arms. It means that an upright riding position is an absolute necessity. I cannot throw bikes from side to side very quickly, as I used to, so rapid cornering no longer features in my repertoire, but you know what - I am still riding, and that is what matters to me.

Who else out there is disabled and what changes have you made to your bike and the way you ride?
you should not be on a motorcycle.

life is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Have you thought about a trike?

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Should I be on a motorcycle?

I have ridden a motorcycle with my disability for a number of years without any control issues. I do suffer increased pain, but I think that is a fair price to pay for the actual enjoyment I get from riding. As long as I can ride without compromising my own safety, and that of others, I will continue to do so.

As for a trike, it is something I considered but when riding a bike the actual steering inputs are very small indeed once above 10-15mph, and I cope well with what is required. A trike needs much more in the way of actual steering inputs, as opposed to countersteering inputs, so I seriously wonder whether I'd cope with it. For other reasons, I wouldn't want to go down the trike route - expense being one of the main ones.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

siouxindian, so this guy shouldn't be on a bike?

JamesPal likes this.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
A trike requires more arm strength than a bike. A trike would not be the best choice in this case.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 AM

Year: 97
Model: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
There are a lot of guys on this site who are senior to me, but I will speak for myself. I have a knee replacement and I'm 64. When I discovered the only way to relieve the pain was a knee replacement my doctor recommended I get physical therapy with the hope of making my natural knee last longer. I did it and it delayed the surgery. I took the PT seriously after the surgery. That was about 5 years ago. I still go the gym twice a week. My normal work out includes 20-25 minutes of cardio, weight lifting (30 bench press lifts with 100#) for upper and lower body strength and I do about 60 sit ups. Most people are surprised when they find out my age. I could not imagine going into the golden years without doing something about keeping my strength. I can feel the decline if a slack for a couple of weeks and I can tell if I stop working out will be my last year riding large bikes. If you have health care insurance go to your doctor and get on the PT. It will make a difference.
You sir are my hero. i do more than that in the gym at age 54, 2-3 hours of cardio and 3 days of lifting weights per week but the only way I'm doing 60 sit ups is over 10 minutes or so

I have tendentious in my elbow that has been getting worse and kept me off the weights for almost 2 months now. No loss of strength but when its unsupported it aches and gives me sharp pain doing certain motions. The 20 minute ride to work is enough to create wincing pain. Starting PT on Monday to get rid of this crap. I need to be riding and going to the gym at 64 and 74 so gotta nip this crap in the bud.

to the OP. i have to assume you have been prescribed PT and maybe you are at your limit for strength. Replacement joints are also tough but moderate physical activity is always a good thing. Stay safe and keep on riding just don't use the cruise so if your hand comes off the throttle your are guaranteed to slow down

97 GL1500 SE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
A trike requires more arm strength than a bike. A trike would not be the best choice in this case.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Doug.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.peters View Post

to the OP. i have to assume you have been prescribed PT and maybe you are at your limit for strength. Replacement joints are also tough but moderate physical activity is always a good thing. Stay safe and keep on riding just don't use the cruise so if your hand comes off the throttle your are guaranteed to slow down
Yes, had lots of PT, and I am at the 'as good as it gets' stage. The left shoulder is really good: that was replaced in 2002 and I was told it would last 5-10 years, but it's still doing well. I have good range of movement and strength in it, but the right one is not so good. I have really good grip strength, so actually holding on to the 'bars is fine, and I have learned to predominantly use my left arm for steering inputs.

My hip joints are also a little wrecked, but after the lessons learned with my right shoulder I shall delay replacement for as long as possible. I am grateful that I can still ride, and that makes me a lot more fortunate than some people.
JamesPal likes this.

Last edited by xpc316e; 03-19-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page