Looking for a GPS - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for a GPS

I have been in search looking for info on GPSs but all I find so far is several years old. I am wondering what you would recommend?

Thanks Dannie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
First, decide on what dimensions you want.

one of the mini 3.5" screens, or a bit larger at 5", or like me the 7" screens.
The larger screesn typically have a bit better speaker for better sounding audio output.

If you are new to the market, drop in at a retailer where they have a few of them on display and get your fingers wet fiddling with the different ones.

I'm fond of the Garmin brands myself. I have used a Tom Tom almost 20 years ago, and had a Magellan at one point, also many years ago. I left them because Garmin, IMO, had a better menu system and "seemed to" have a better database.... but that again, is a 20 year old experience.

What features are you looking for?

• Audio output jacks are nearly a requirement.
  • Bluetooth is quite popular, but I don't use it, found it to be conflicting with other devices, like my cellphone..... I found that having the GPS trying to answer the phone was big PITA.
  • Menu structure is important
  • how easy is the search function for you
  • Look ahead is a Garmin feature that I can't do without, this shows you the next gas, $$ ATM, Food, Rest Areas that are upcoming and how far away.
  • Look at the mounting methods
  • How long will it work without a power source?
  • Do you intend to carry it with you when on a hike?
  • Is the screen legible to you?
  • How much do you want to pay?
those are things that I consider.

for sources, hit the internet... I like to use www.SearchTemptest.com to find things in the used and new markets all at once.

http://www.gpscity.com/ is a major dealer and have great adverts explaining what each model can do.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Garage
I have an old Garmin 755 T I think it is. It works fine and I like the fact that it has an FM transmitter so I can run it thru an unused FM radio and hear it in my headset. It plays MP 3's with a memory card. But I know there are better units that have bluetooth but I'm not at that stage yet. Lots of people use their cell phones to play music.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
As always, the price is a big factor. The Garmin Zumo's were designed for motorcycle use, being waterproof and shock resistant. They also integrate into the Goldwing audio system. Depending on the model, you can get mapping, music and traffic. Free lifetime maps and a mapping program (Basecamp) to transfer maps from your computer to the device. I still use Mapsource on my 660 and it is much easier to use than Basecamp.
I use my Zumo 660 in my truck also. There is a setting for car/motorcycle and truck routing.
You're looking at $500 to $900 for a Zumo.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 04:58 PM

Model: 1982 GL1100 Interstate
I sometimes drive for a local Chevy dealership and the guys I ride around with all have their Garmins. They work fine. I have a rather inexpensive Android phone that I mount in a nice Ram mount. The Google maps app, and the weather app tell me exactly where I am, where I need to go (turn by turn) and if it's raining. It will go through my radio receiver via bluetooth and it is free.

I'm not trying to be cheap, but the phone does everything I need.

I couldn't fix my brakes so I made the horn louder
Motor started to knock. Turned up the radio.

Jack
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:48 PM

Year: 2012
Model: GL1800 Level 1 Candy Red
Garage
Gotta Garmin

The Garmin Zumo 390LM was on sale for $340 on Amazon last year so I went for it. It is constructed to be pretty weatherproof and I can attest that it is a solid unit. The base wires into the bike electrical system so you just snap the head unit in and off you go. The head unit pops out and can be stored or reviewed while at the local diner or rest stop.

At 4.3" screen, it's adequate. At 60+ years old, bigger would be better but hey! It's better than nothing. The inputs are designed to be operated by a gloved hand, a major plus.

I have had good experiences with Garmin products over the years.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:31 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/m...534945183.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...535629403.html

$300 never installed
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/e...536072035.html

I use SearchTemptest to look for stuff,

the above are from CL,

if you follow this link, there are a lot of them on eBay at lower prices

https://www.searchtempest.com/search...%22for+sale%22

~ John

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:40 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
If price isnt a concern , then just order the newest GPS from HONDA , - then you get their newest GoldWing for free !

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:44 PM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
GPS units are quickly becoming a thing of the past. The price of the motorcycle units are cost prohibitive and cumbersome. The best = cheapest = most versatile solution I have found so far is an iPhone running the InRoute app and a Scala Rider bluetooth helmet setup. I have tried several other phone navigation solutions, lead group rides around in circles because of not being able to pass directly through waypoints and not being able to redirect past the point because it required a user prompt. I don't want to be fat fingering a device riding down the road. It gives me distraction free turn by turn directions to the helmet, the ability to talk to my passenger and listen to music. Fortunately it hasn't happened but I could prompt Siri to navigate to the nearest Hospital if needed. Sure you can make and receive phone calls if you like also, I don't, it goes against why I am riding a motorcycle anyway. InRoute's latest version allows import and export of .gpx files, drive through non-announced waypoints. Routes can be created using Basecamp, Google Maps, Route Converter or on the phone itself, sent to iCloud and recieved in the program. I place the phone in the trunk on a charger because the GPS drains the iPhone battery.

Troop
LarryC likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 PM

Model: 1999 GL1500A 84 GL1200A/82 GL1100I/79 GL1000
Garage
I use my phone as a gps on my bike. I get the turn directions through my Scala G9.

Larry
99 Aspencade Totaled 6/14/18(Deer)
84 Aspencade
79 GL1000 with VW carb

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page