LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Large Member

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: SE
Garage
Got the girls out for the year

Ahh Spring! Pulled the bikes out today. Not knowing if the air filter or other two filters have ever been changed, I set out to do that on the wing. 2.5 hours first time to get to the sub and cruise filters. The main air filter was changed and very recently so I did not change that, I'll just hang onto the new one until I need it. Pleasantly surprised that the sub and cruise filters were also recently changed. The flat one fell apart when I touched it, expected that. The other one was in really good shape, can be re used in a pinch. Makes me feel good that this one has been well taken care of before I took possession last year. If you haven't, replace your cruise and sub filters. You'll learn something along the way. Like my reverse lever was missing the e clip that holds the pin in place. I don't know how that even worked without it. And someone before me reversed the bolts on the sides that hold the side panels in place...why would anyone do that? Anyway, nice first ride of the season on both bikes. Gotta get my sealegs back.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
101421 miles as of 091418
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Garage
good for you, getting to know your bike. If this was the first time you changed the filters on a wing your time isn't bad. After you take it apart a couple you can get it down to about an hour.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:41 PM

Year: 1998
Model: GL 1500 SE
Garage
[QUOTE=wilmo;5690066] snip-n-clip... the sub and cruise filters..[/QUOTE]

I bought my first wing this past fall, it's a 98 GL1500 SE.. been going over it all winter- I don't know what sub and cruse filters are... please explain.

I drive way to fast to worry about my cholesterol

Last Saturday I planned on doing nothing all day, and by noon, I was half way done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
Two other small filters that are buried deep in the machine. One each on right and left. There is a video on here, I think, but definitely at goldwingdocs.com. The filters themeslves are small little foam things that cost about $3 each at cyclemax. These are factory filters. The cruise filter is for the air going into the vacuum part of the cruise control. Not exactly sure about the sub filter, but it is for carburetion. Usually they fall apart, if even there, when you touch them. As said, that was how I found I needed a missing part for the reverse lever. Watch the video and then plan to go after them at next air filter replacement. Changing the air filter gets you half way to the others, so that is a good time to do it.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 AM

Garage
[quote=WingRider101+;5691010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmo View Post
snip-n-clip... the sub and cruise filters..[/QUOTE]

I bought my first wing this past fall, it's a 98 GL1500 SE.. been going over it all winter- I don't know what sub and cruse filters are... please explain.
This a good post on how to change them. Usually the sub filter will fall apart in your hands, the cruise filter normally isn't very bad

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewto...p?f=14&t=11036

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:30 PM

Model: 1999 GL1500A 84 GL1200A/82 GL1100I/79 GL1000
Garage
I just ordered the sub filters for mine. I tried to contact the PO, but he never returned my call. I was trying to find out what service had been done before I bought it. So far, all has been real good except the reverse. I had to adjust it. I bought all 3 filters so I could change all at once.

Larry
99 Aspencade Totaled 6/14/18(Deer)
84 Aspencade
79 GL1000 with VW carb
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
Safe to assume that they haven't been changed, it's a lot of work for a $3 filter that most people will just blow off. But it makes the bike happy, so why not?

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:52 AM

Model: 1999 GL1500A 84 GL1200A/82 GL1100I/79 GL1000
Garage
Turns out they had been changed. The sub filter felt like it was new. The cruise filter was the same. The air filter was somewhat dirty, but not too bad. I went ahead and changed all 3.

Larry
99 Aspencade Totaled 6/14/18(Deer)
84 Aspencade
79 GL1000 with VW carb
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Year: 1998
Model: GL 1500 SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
clip.. I went ahead and changed all 3.
How long did it take? - just so I have an idea ahead of time

I drive way to fast to worry about my cholesterol

Last Saturday I planned on doing nothing all day, and by noon, I was half way done!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:22 PM
big PIA

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800
That's probably something I should look at doing as well, no clue when mine may have been done last

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page