Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Got a new project (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/662907-got-new-project.html)

DaveO430 05-15-2018 10:00 AM

I didn't mean I don't have most of the parts, just that the moron took it apart and left it. I need a (left side of course) battery cover and the rear fender is cracked. Also need turn signals, it had a fairing and bags on it so they were removed.

Dodge 05-16-2018 09:27 PM

Hey Dave I have some left over stuff from that 82. Of course valve covers say 1100 instead of 1000. Timing belt covers etc. Holler if you need something I have.

DaveO430 05-16-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodge (Post 5749165)
Hey Dave I have some left over stuff from that 82. Of course valve covers say 1100 instead of 1000. Timing belt covers etc. Holler if you need something I have.

thanks, I have all that.

maplewingnut 05-16-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe in calif (Post 5748673)
But you have to ask yourself, will it be worth the time and money to get it back on the road.

The answer is YES!
I resurrected a barn find. I stopped counting the money I put into it and the hours that I put in to it. I will never get either back.
The smile on my face when we went for our first ride around the block said it was all worthwhile.
It's not about resale value.
It's something else.

Bike...and Dennis 05-16-2018 10:56 PM

When it comes to losing money on a bike, you should consider that; if you buy a 2018 today, then decide to sell it tomorrow, you'll find the ride home was an expensive one.

DaveO430 05-17-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe in calif (Post 5748673)
But you have to ask yourself, will it be worth the time and money to get it back on the road.

That would depend on whether I planned to keep it or sell it. I know already the cost wouldn't allow any profit or possibly a loss should I sell it but if I kept it and rode it a while it wouldn't matter as much.

Peter Goldwing 05-17-2018 07:39 AM

It will run fine again. Its a matter of time and money. Lots of time and lots of money.

Power Guy 05-17-2018 07:45 AM

How many of us have ever built (or re build) something just for the joy of getting in and making it work again, with no regards to the cost? I know I have many times. (my wife reminds me all the time)

WingMan71 05-17-2018 07:57 AM

Yup, that's a parts bike.

Sell it piece-by-piece and get your money back and more.

joe in calif 05-17-2018 09:01 AM

Several years back a neighbor bought an 199 Gold Wing from a lady who's husband had passed away several years and the bike was just sitting in the garage. The paint & chrome and all added accessories were in new condition but of course there was a lot of work to be done to get it back on the road. He rebuilt almost everything on the bike, carbs, forks, brake system flushed out the tank, changed to stator (early Gold Wings were known for bad stators), got it running like new. He rode it a couple of times and couldn't get comfortable on it. So he sold it, but someone got a beautiful bike that was completely rebuilt.
I know a lot of people have the room and time and more important, the knowledge to do that. My hat is off to them. Good luck with what ever you decide to do with the bike..