What should I be looking for? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
What should I be looking for?

I'm between bikes now, That's why I have no bike listed on my profile.
But I am looking at a '84 Goldwing. I am supposed to go look at it this weekend. 17,000 original miles on it, I asked why so few and the answer I was given was "We bought it from a friends dad who really didnít ride it much. My husband hasnít had any time to ride it the last 2 years".

So my question is when I go look at it what should I be looking for besides the basics of making sure it starts and shifts? I told you everything I know about Goldwing when I said Hello. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Hello and Welcome . These Wings love to travel, sit unloved ...they dont so much care for that Did they tell you if the bike cranks and runs? It may need many things. Carburetors and fuel tank may be janky from ethanol sitting in them. Tires have date codes and may be much older than 5yrs. This engine has timing belts. 17K is no problem but if original they are 34 years old. You dont want one of them to break and bend a valve or 4.
How do the brakes feel? front and rear hydraulics along the clutch may all need flush and bleed or more.
Aside from all the above maintenance items . Take of the side covers ( below the seat) and look to the left of the battery. There should be a wire connector with 3 yellow wires. Look at this connector to see if it is discolored or burnt. Its a common failure point of the charging system. It can be repaired by cutting out the connector and solder the wires together. You can read about that here in the Technical section.
I dont mean to scare you away from this bike . just an awareness of things to check fix and replace/repair.
Hopefully it cranks up upon your inspection and rides well.
Bike and Dennis may offer much more as he is one of the resident 1200 GURU.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:48 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800, GL1200, GL1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaWingAndaPrayer View Post
... Aside from all the above maintenance items . Take of the side covers ( below the seat) and look to the left of the battery. There should be a wire connector with 3 yellow wires. Look at this connector to see if it is discolored or burnt. Its a common failure point of the charging system. It can be repaired by cutting out the connector and solder the wires together.
What OnaWingAnda Prayer is referencing is the issue with the stators burning out in the alternator on 1984 GL1200s. That is a known issue and Honda actually recalled those bikes to have their stators replaced under warranty.

So, you really need to find out if THIS '84 has already had the stator recall done and the stator replaced. If not, that would be a deal breaker for me since the engine has to come out of the frame to replace the stator.

To find out if THIS bike had been fixed under recall, call Honda America Customer Service in Torrance CA. (866) 784-1870. Give them the VIN of this bike and they can look up and see if the stator has been replaced under recall or not.

Yes, I've been there and done this. I bought a new 1984 GL1200I in 1984 and it had to have the stator replaced by the dealer under the recall back then.

Bob
2006 Arctic White GL1800
1987 Black/Grey GL1200 Aspencade
1976 Special Candy Maroon GL1000 LTD
U.S. Navy SWO (1967-1976)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:38 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
There was no stator recall.

Some new purchasers were given a lifetime warranty. Some who paid for a stator replacement were given that warranty as well. Honda never gave me a good answer what the difference was, or why, but I was one who paid.

That warranty is void now no matter which category you're in as the part is no longer available. It was only for the original purchaser anyway.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
All Good advice above.

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
There was no stator recall.

Some new purchasers were given a lifetime warranty. Some who paid for a stator replacement were given that warranty as well. Honda never gave me a good answer what the difference was, or why, but I was one who paid.

That warranty is void now no matter which category you're in as the part is no longer available. It was only for the original purchaser anyway.

Gonna have to respectfully disagree that there was no recall. My 1984 GL1200I was in fact recalled to replace the defective stator. My stator/charging system had not failed at the time I got the recall notice from Honda in the mail. The bike was running just fine at the time, but when I got the recall notice I took the bike in promptly to get the stator replaced.

My memory of it is quite good even at this late date because of the headache the entire process caused. The dealer screwed up putting the engine back in my bike so badly that I had to take it back two more times to get the things they messed up corrected, including an oil leak.

Yes, the warranty replacement was only good for the original owner. But, that said, I would not buy any 1984 GL1200 that I did not check first with American Honda customer service and determine if that particular bike had it's stator recalled and if so that the stator was actually replaced. If I couldn't verify that information, I would pass that particular bike over as not an option.

Bob
2006 Arctic White GL1800
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 PM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9730

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the extra information about the GL1200 stators.

So Honda called it a "Stator Warranty Extension", not a "Recall". Same difference... the darn things were defective and Honda replaced them under warranty.

Bottom line, don't buy one you haven't verified first.

Bob
2006 Arctic White GL1800
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 PM

GL1200 is a great bike and can last a great long time.

All rubber including tire, belts and hoses are suspect. Same for all fluids.

Agree with concern over the three wire connector. If it runs, you can check the charging system for function (14 volts or better at RPM above 2000). There are ways to prevent stator failure associated with the dreaded three yellow wires even if the connector shows signs of overheating. In lieu of a stator replacement, you can also read about a poor boy alternator conversion using a common GM alternator available anywhere. Use forum index and search tools and brew a full pot before you start reading.

While you have the sidecovers off, check the mounting studs as they are prone to breakage and the covers can fly off. If the battery side cover is missing, you will struggle to find another.

Also the main fuse off the battery is often called the dogbone fuse. This is no longer available and should be replaced with a new fuse holder and fuse. Again, search for dogbone.

Driveline (u-joint, shaft, final drive) is not usually an issue on these.

Common, not bike specific, stuff. Brakes, bearings, fork seals, compression check, coolant leaks.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Thanks for information guys, but I decided to pass on it. After I made arrangements to go check it out the wife told me the husband went out to make sure it would have no problems couldn't get it started. It's been 4 days and he still hasn't bothered to fix it so it'll start. I figured if he can't be bothered to get it started to sell it he probably didn't mean to paint it that well so I don't need somebody else's headache.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page