Would you buy a 1991 GL1500 Interstate? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownfoxx1 View Post
whats the mileage on both bikes? i have several, like '93 I 1500 with roadsmith trike kit. parts are getting hard to find.
if the BMW is well cared for that would be my pick
What parts are you in need of? I can provide you with sources if necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 06:35 AM

Year: 1989
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
I'm on my 4th Wing and the cruise has never worked on the 85 LTD or my current 89 and I use a throttle lock all the time without any problems. Yeah, you've got to play with it a little to maintain speed but it's not a deal breaker for me. We live in NE Indiana where the land can be flat or extremely hilly.

As for not having reverse, now that I've been spoiled by it, that may be a deal-breaker on future purchases LOL. As others have said before, I would learn to park it to where I can drive out or roll down backwards or ask my better half to give me a push.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 AM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyred View Post
If all your riding is done on land flat as a pancake, I suppose a throttle lock would do.
gumbyred
Just writing here, no argument on my part.

I live in western part of Virginia at south end of the Shenandoah Valley, west of Blue Ridge Parkway and east of West Virginia (the state). Most of my riding is hilly.

I have both hands on the grips usually anyway, the throttle lock (VC or Vista Cruise) is adjusted just snug enough to hold throttle in place against return spring. It is with very subtle / minor pressure with right hand that I adjust throttle to load with no constant pressure required to hold a position. I like the Vista Cruise as it can be released with just a flip of my thumb in town, etc if desired. Vista Cruise allows me to point out hazards to anyone behind me in view, such as if I were leading a ride, with either hand while maintaining speed / power setting.

It's like a "Quick Release Grubbing Screw".

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Thank you everyone for all your replies.

My situation is rather complex. I was living in Western Wa and I have moved to Easter Wa. I now live near Yakima. Part of the move was for my wife's health, but it involved her no longer working. I also stayed with the same company I work for, but have a new position and make slightly less money. During this time we have paid off any debt and the only thing we owe on is our house and my 2015 CB500X. The CB500X is for sale now. I have very little cash and need to find a bike I can pay cash for. I am a Mechanic and have been for many years.

The last thing I want to do is to go buy another bike and put it on credit. I would rather buy a bike that needs work, and fix it up to meet my needs and spend a little at time, even if it costs me more in the long run, as long as I can pay cash for it as I go.

I am going to go look at 2 bikes tonight and will see how that goes. Both need work and come as a set. My plan is (if I get them) to fix and sell one, fix and ride the other.

I have no fear of working on bikes. I have an Associates in Auto and Diesel Tech from UTI(30 years ago) and have worked on everything from cars and trucks to Military Aircraft(14 years Air Force), heavy equipment and industrial machines. Goldwings are simple compared to what I normally do.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:17 PM

Year: 1991
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
Best of luck and Good Health to you and your wife during this hectic time of "transition".

Come on back if you need any tips on fixing them rides.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Well, I decided not to get the Interstate, instead I bought an 84 1200 Aspencade and an 89 1500. I got them as a package deal. The 1200 is real nice, had a poorboy alternator on it, but the bracket broke and now it has no alternator. The 1500 needs a battery and a lot of love on the plastics. It has Cruise and Reverse, no CB. I will clean them up a little and post pictures of them. I will have many questions I am sure. BTW I got both bikes for $500 + $100 in fuel to get them home from Spokane.
Maybe you all can help me decide what bike to keep.
dwade likes this.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:45 PM

Year: 1991
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
I'm glad to see you settle on something that you wanted. I think it was a wise decision. Looking forward to hear more from you and them pics will be great too.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Year: 1992
Model: Aspencade 1500
Both?
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Keep them both.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:18 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Well, I decided not to get the Interstate, instead I bought an 84 1200 Aspencade and an 89 1500. I got them as a package deal. The 1200 is real nice, had a poorboy alternator on it, but the bracket broke and now it has no alternator. The 1500 needs a battery and a lot of love on the plastics. It has Cruise and Reverse, no CB. I will clean them up a little and post pictures of them. I will have many questions I am sure. BTW I got both bikes for $500 + $100 in fuel to get them home from Spokane.
Maybe you all can help me decide what bike to keep.
Like your handle - have a soft spot for mopars. Regarding the poorboy install on the 84 1200, have an upper and lower bracket that I will not be using, made myself. Reason I'm not using these is I am onto rev 2 of the upper and lower bracket. Should work, can always modify. If you PM me your address, I will send.

Good luck on the projects.

Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page