Group riding style ? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1986 1982 2000
Make: Honda
Model: "86 gl1200SEI, !982 gl1100, 2000 750 Shadow A.C.E.
Group riding style ?

Might not be the right place, so please move if not. I've been on rides and meet ups in the past that were not enjoyable at all. Rigid itinerary, certain order on the road, and my biggest gripe, eat, eat, eat. Seems like they were riding from Denny's to Denny's with an occasional stop at a tourist trap. To each his own so if that's what trips your trigger, fine no skin off my nose. But I prefer to cruise along about 5 below the speed limit, on a 2 lane, bathroom stop once in a while, grab a burger and tea somewhere and eat a sit down meal for supper if I feel like it. Probably just made myself a pariah here. Anyway, just wondering out loud for my first post.
midwing and siouxindian like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:48 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I think, with group riding, a certain rigidity makes things safer. Keeping the bikes a safe distance from one another and not spending half the day on bathroom breaks because someone's wife forgot to go, at the last stop.

I have stopped riding with what's left of my local club because their lack of order when in a larger group seems unsafe. In fact, we have had two accidents where one rider has rear ended another.

Two or three bikes? Wig, wag, whoosh, zoom is fine.

As for 5 below the limit. Around here that will get you run over.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:18 PM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
Denny's?? Don't you mean Dairy Queens?

My wife and I don't do group rides anymore, mainly because of our need in flexible bathroom stops.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:44 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Around here we mostly ride hard and fast, fastest in front usually and when the leader comes to an intersection, stops and waits on the rest. We stop for gas and lunch, which is usually a predetermined place.
Ghost Rider 2 and Dodge like this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I am usually tail end charlie, as I like to have more trailing space and the freedom to gawk...

on our RTEs as mentioned by Dave, we kind of select a place to go meet each other...

in between, 2 or 3 of us will get together and just look at the colors, yes, summer has a color, it is brown

Flylow and his wife Connie and I like to just take off and drift around at -5 or slower sometimes.

If I am going point 'a' to 'b', I usually hit the 4 lanes and +3 or +4

Join up with us in Eureka Springs for the Labor Day weekend, we congregate at Motel 62.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...rd-2018-a.html

lots of roads to go look at the scenery there, usually 3 to 5 will just start talking about riding, and off they go.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Banned

Year: 1986
Make: honda
Model: gl1200A
when i do group rides, its on a different road, at a different pace, on a different mission. i have been in a few, and dont like em. reminds me of the military, which motorcycling.......aint.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:49 PM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800A
Garage
By the look of the membership maps I've participated in, I'm the only one for a couple hours in any direction, so group rides aren't even an option! LOL. Even though I see about a thousand motorcycles ride by my house every day in the summer time because the "loop" around my lake is a must-see route for the Adirondack Park.

50% are HD's with really loud pipes. 40% are sport bikes with really loud engines. 10% are Goldwings, 10% of whom are hi-viz, 10% of whom have the stereo blasting, and 80% of whom just sort of sneak by both visibly and audibly.

It all makes for good people-watching from the upper front porch.
AZgl1800 likes this.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
When you go on a large ride, expect to be riding at the lowest common denominator. Go with it or don't go. For our Oregon trip, Mike and I carefully planned and agreed on the itinerary. Terry wanted to join and he agreed to the itinerary. We got out on the road and found a great piece of road. Terry wanted to ride it again and asked us to change. Mike and I wanted to stay with the plan so we offered to Terry to go his separate way and meet up at the hotel that night. He did, we did and everything was fine. I ride the Seattle VME Pre-1975 ride on my '72 CB450. There are around 100 bikes. We plan to get split up, going slow and stopping for what seems like no reason. Great fun.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:28 PM

Year: 2010
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1800-Made in USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fronkunshteen View Post
Might not be the right place, so please move if not. I've been on rides and meet ups in the past that were not enjoyable at all. Rigid itinerary, certain order on the road, and my biggest gripe, eat, eat, eat. Seems like they were riding from Denny's to Denny's with an occasional stop at a tourist trap. To each his own so if that's what trips your trigger, fine no skin off my nose. But I prefer to cruise along about 5 below the speed limit, on a 2 lane, bathroom stop once in a while, grab a burger and tea somewhere and eat a sit down meal for supper if I feel like it. Probably just made myself a pariah here. Anyway, just wondering out loud for my first post.
Sounds like a typical GWRRA ride....

You're never too old....
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 PM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
Formations are mainly for safety criss-crossed pattern, Experience is learned not taught really. You learn it by doing it. If its a curvy road we put experienced up front with a few bringing up the rear so no-one is left behind. Scheduled stops, planned route. You can choose to brake away if you so chose. For the smaller group I ride with were usually 10 over riders at least we pattern at times but only if we need too. Passing is up to the leader, the small group we pass, and catch up. However in large groups passing other traffic can be problematic. My advice is get you a good bluetooth system and com for riding in groups and pay attention to whats going on. Some groups(clubs) practice close quarters riding we do as it makes us more secure as a group. I ride with several local clubs but ride as an independent, because I hate rules. Those rules protect the organization in case of accidents though. Some orgs dont allow firearms but I do and they know it but Im not a member. 99% are told not to break any laws mainly traffic, this is fine with me when riding with groups it makes it safer. So to each there own, ride a Harley, Honda, or whatever large group small group or alone its the ride its what we do have fun doing it if its not fun dont do it.
siouxindian likes this.

GL1100
GL1200
KZ1000
Grizzly 600
CR250

Its always been Mind over Matter. I dont Mind You dont matter.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page