Indian announces rear cylinder deactivation on its Thunder Stroke touring bikes - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:53 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
all air cooled bikes are hotter than any of the Goldwings I have owned... period.

I agree completely. claydbal would argue that the world is flat & the sun comes up in the west.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
The world is flat. Anybody with eyes can see that!

A teacher once told me the world was spinning. I proved her wrong by jumping as high as I could and coming back down in the same spot I jumped from.

So, there!

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I think as long as you're talking about roasting on a V-twin or a Wing, may I suggest a real heat generator a Boss Hoss. I'm 5'3" and when they had demo rides of the trikes at Bike Week I had to give it a try, I wish I had Nomex pants on as I did not find it a fun trike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Banned

Year: 1986
Make: honda
Model: gl1200A
i think yall misseed the part about properly built and tuned.

now, some one tell me a water colled bike doesnt blow hot air at you when the fan kicks on in city traffic.

please

someone.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
all air cooled bikes are hotter than any of the Goldwings I have owned... period.

I have some scars to prove it.

scars from air cooled motorcycle? really? get real dude
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:11 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
The world is flat. Anybody with eyes can see that!

A teacher once told me the world was spinning. I proved her wrong by jumping as high as I could and coming back down in the same spot I jumped from.

So, there!
You have to jump into the spin!

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:19 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
i think yall misseed the part about properly built and tuned.

now, some one tell me a water colled bike doesnt blow hot air at you when the fan kicks on in city traffic.

please

someone.
OK, it don't.
fenry likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Banned

ok, i see. yall would rather lie than admit wrong. everyone who has ever ridin a liquid cooled motorcycle has felt the excess heat after stopping in traffic.a cbr1000rr or gxr or r1 will make you want to abandon ship. ther e is a whole cottage industry to provide accessories because of this problem.

for the record, i came here to decide if i wanted to invest time and money to ride a goldwing. the low center of gravity and low seat height combined with storage space had me really considering it.

but there is always that camaraderie thing.............................................
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 09:04 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Okay, I'll step in. We know hot here. The cold water that comes out of our faucets is hotter than your average summer temps. That is a fact. So...

...the truth is, when riding my '87 GL1200, in summer, in traffic, I can't tell if the fan comes on. There may be a difference with the sixes, with their dual radiators, but I don't have any real knowledge of them. But, when it's 105 + and you're sitting in traffic, the asphalt under you tires is supplying plenty of heat and the sun bakes you from the other side.

Having a motor that's running over 200 between your legs surely makes things worse, no matter what brand you're riding. But, I really don't think the fan makes it that much hotter.

Now, if you feel my lack of comradery (that's Webster's spelling) is offensive, well...

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Banned

yeah, i went to public school in louisiana, and spell check must have missed that one.

i guess in 115 degree weather , you dont feel the differential i do at 100. i have had to monitor head temps on bikes on the dyno to keep the engine safe. i have recorded so many both air and liquid cooled and both will , at times, need to be shut down because of overheating. so, theres that.

i knew a guy in prescott arizona, he did tuning in an air conditioned dyno cell.

my whole point of this is that when you tune an air cooled engine towards best performance, you eliminate the built in fail points that have to be there to satisfy epa.

water cooled is designed to maintain a constant temperature to insure the tune stays the same, usually around 220F. a well tuned air cooled will stay around that temp if operated outside the city...........

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page