Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Indian announces rear cylinder deactivation on its Thunder Stroke touring bikes (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/664857-indian-announces-rear-cylinder-deactivation-its-thunder-stroke-touring-bikes.html)

AZgl1800 09-04-2018 12:41 PM

Indian announces rear cylinder deactivation on its Thunder Stroke touring bikes
 
https://newatlas.com/indian-2019-roa...ngfield/56160/


Indian Motorcycles has announced sweeping upgrades to its touring bike lineup for 2019. Chief and Springfield models will now get three ride modes and rear cylinder deactivation

WorldSBK 09-05-2018 10:42 AM

I have a 950cc air-cooled and it's already hot.

So I wonder what it's like with the Indian 1800+ cc and air-cooled ...

And the Yamaha Venture is copying that ...

dadztoy 09-05-2018 12:03 PM

I love and have always loved Indian Motorcycles for their awesome styling and oh those valenced fenders but Indian should just bite the bullet and liquid cool the engine... Any decent touring machine has to be liquid cooled to meet the varied demands of the serious tour rider...

I would love to own one some day in the future (Indian Chief Vintage) but for serious touring, I'll stick with the liquid cooled flat 6 Honda motor which IMO is the most bullet proof motor on the market today...

claydbal 09-05-2018 01:13 PM

like harley, and probably others, they cannot tune the engine correctly or they violate epa. harley has had the same trick for years.
lower engine rpm for the drive by test. this is done without considering the engine luggs hard in high gear at highway speed.



retard timing at cruise to build heat in exhaust to supplement the cat converters.


lean tuning to less than stoich


add funny plastic wing thingy under the boys to keep from scorching


shut down rear cylinder and call it "parade mode" no joke!



tell customer "they all do that"



tell customer warranty will be voided if customer corrects problem.



finally, they are getting liquid cooling effective.

rayjoe 09-05-2018 03:39 PM

Rear cly shutdown.
 
I'll never own a "modern" motorcycle that has to use Rube Goldberg engineering to make it comfortable to ride.


Rayjoe

DBohrer 09-05-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5787347)
https://newatlas.com/indian-2019-roa...ngfield/56160/


Indian Motorcycles has announced sweeping upgrades to its touring bike lineup for 2019. Chief and Springfield models will now get three ride modes and rear cylinder deactivation

Just a "tad' different than the '49 Indian I rode in the 1950's.................!!

The 2019 Indian was featured in Rider magazine this month.

claydbal 09-05-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5787711)
Just a "tad' different than the '49 Indian I rode in the 1950's.................!!

The 2019 Indian was featured in Rider magazine this month.


yeah, they finally put the throttle on the right side. and made em ugly. look at that polaris influence. do they break often?

Jerry Burns 09-06-2018 01:59 PM

But you get a kool radio, the whole add is about the large screen. You can complain all you want about the 2018 Goldwing but if I was buying a new bike it would be a HONDA! The size of the bags on the new Goldwing is not a big deal, just take less stuff. It is a lot better than burning up the end side of your leg from all the heat a V twin makes and to think someone thinks having the bike run on one cylinder at stop signs will make a difference they have never lived in California. I'm begin to think my Old Lady is right, I'm a Crabby old Man now, but this stuff pisses me off. LOL

AZgl1800 09-06-2018 04:58 PM

I have seen several Indian motorcycles over the years, but never rode one.

claydbal 09-06-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Burns (Post 5788119)
But you get a kool radio, the whole add is about the large screen. You can complain all you want about the 2018 Goldwing but if I was buying a new bike it would be a HONDA! The size of the bags on the new Goldwing is not a big deal, just take less stuff. It is a lot better than burning up the end side of your leg from all the heat a V twin makes and to think someone thinks having the bike run on one cylinder at stop signs will make a difference they have never lived in California. I'm begin to think my Old Lady is right, I'm a Crabby old Man now, but this stuff pisses me off. LOL


see, that is the deal. v-twins actually run cooler than liquid cooled , once fixed. make a ton of power, last a long time and get over 50 mpg. but H-D cant sell H-D accessories if they acknowledge the facts. and accessories is the real business they are in. well, that and fake bikers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome