Replacement body part (human) - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 SE
Oh I know all about therapy. Two ACL's, One knee replacement, three back surgeries and several severely broken limbs at different times. Yep, I know the value of PT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 09:18 PM

Year: '98 Valkyrie Tourer, '84 Std. restoration in process
Model: GL1200
Have the surgeon do what's known as the anterior method. I had it done to my right hip two years ago November, have a 4" scar on the front of the right hip. They don't cut muscles or tendons, things do get stretched a bit in there but recovery is fast. Once home, I used a cane once in a while for better stability....mostly toward the end of the day when the old leg(s) were tiring out a bit. I went in on a Wed. morning, in the OR around 12:30pm, back in my room by 2:30. Had a dose of pain meds that night only, never used any since. Since I have to care for my wife, I asked to stay in the hospital until Sat. so I could be as strong and stable as possible when I got home....went home noon Saturday but did a lot of walking and exercising while in there. I was fully mobile when I got home and the next few days I slowly became more active. If I went for a walk I always took a cane but seldom used it, never did use a walker or crutches. By the second week they got put away and the third week I was back in the gym. Prior to the operation I was doing 350lb. leg presses so obviously I didn't start there with the new ball joint suspension. I kept the max at 200lb. for about 6 months per drs. orders. As for riding, I was back on the bike by the end of three weeks and have never looked back. Only problem I can see in the not too distant future.....the other hip is starting to feel like the new one did before the operation so I'm assuming maybe another year at the most.

PS: In a couple days, I'll be closer to my 81st b'day than my 80th and I still ride my Valkyrie when possible. Summer in Florida makes riding a bit of a challenge but cooler weather is just around the corner. Can't wait, we have a good group of Valkyrie riders around here and it's not unusual to ride 80-100 miles one way to meet for lunch so come on cool weather.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:23 AM

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: gl1500A #29
I've had both hips replaced and the only thing I regret is not getting the first one done sooner (1998). I waited until I was having trouble just walking around, getting in or out of a car, driving a stick shift was undo-able and riding a bike out of the question. And I let this go on for years. The Dr. I was seeing at the time kept telling me I was to young (mid 40's) and that the new hip wouldn't last and a revision was bound to leave me crippled and disabled, kind of like I already was. Finley I pushed and got it done, and have never regretted it. I got the second hip replaced in 2010, it was a much easier surgery do to better methods and I was on my feet the same day. I was pretty well recovered in about 3-4 months (back to normal). It does take awhile to heal up so my advice is do all the pre-hab you can, the better shape you are in when you get your replacement the faster the recovery. If you have trouble exercising due to pain get in the pool and swim or join a water aerobics class at a rec center. I do pretty much what I want now, I used to run alot and did a bunch of 5 and 10k runs and a couple of duathlons (biking and running) after the hip replacements. The Doc was wrong, I'm not crippled or disabled. I've had new parts put in the 1998 hip and have had no other problems. Now I don't have any issues with riding any of my bikes, it takes awhile to come back from major surgery, but the time will pass and you'll be riding.

My new hips are a blessing and so much better than stock.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page