Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Riding for 50 years. (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/665339-riding-50-years.html)

rayjoe 10-16-2018 02:47 PM

Riding for 50 years.

Yeah, I'm bragging. Had a birthday that makes it 50 years of continuously owning and riding motorcycles.

Who'd a thunk it!

Rayjoe

CrystalPistol 10-16-2018 02:56 PM

Congrats !

I'm up over 40, hope to see that 50th in the saddle yet!

Power Guy 10-16-2018 03:05 PM

Wow that is great!

DBohrer 10-16-2018 03:28 PM

Just a few questions:

What is the "oldest year" motorcycle you have ridden....??

Ever ridden any British bikes with switched "shifter and brakes" compared to most other brands....??

Ever ridden a bike with !st gear "UP" and the higher gears DOWN....??

Congrats on your 50 years, I have 51 years of seat time......!

rayjoe 10-16-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5798725)
Just a few questions:

What is the "oldest year" motorcycle you have ridden....?? Can't remember exactly, something in the late 60s I guess. It belonged to a friend.

My first bike was a 305 engine mounted in a cb250 frame. I later found a scrambler frame and transplanted the engine into it. I think it was a cl77?

Ever ridden any British bikes with switched "shifter and brakes" compared to most other brands....??

Owned several, three or four Bonnievilles, a TR6 and 1973 Hurricane, serial number 254. Owned the Hurricane for one year. Sold it and made $1000.00. Thought I was hot @#@^!

I sold my 1973 T140V, right hand shift, about four years ago.

Ever ridden a bike with !st gear "UP" and the higher gears DOWN....??

Owned a couple of Nortons.

Congrats on your 50 years, I have 51 years of seat time......!

I remember when people were sniveling about manufacturers doing away with kick starters.

Question for you. What does the V in T140V mean? No cheating!!

Rayjoe

Bike...and Dennis 10-16-2018 04:06 PM

I've been riding since 1963.

gipsy42 10-16-2018 04:21 PM

Congrats!!
I started in 1960, but I've been away too many years, will never get that many.

DBohrer 10-16-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjoe (Post 5798727)
I remember when people were sniveling about manufacturers doing away with kick starters.

Question for you. What does the V in T140V mean? No cheating!!

Rayjoe

Ah.....So you want to know if I know anything about Triumph's.....!! You know both pistons go straight UP/Down.....!!

I was riding them in the early 1950's. I still have a BSA and a full set of Whitworth tools....!! My brother also has a BSA with 6-volt system...!!

BTW.....The first years of Gold Wing's had kick starters but they were not permanently mounted....!

rayjoe 10-16-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5798755)
Ah.....So you want to know if I know anything about Triumph's.....!! You know both pistons go straight UP/Down.....!!

I was riding them in the early 1950's. I still have a BSA and a full set of Whitworth tools....!! My brother also has a BSA with 6-volt system...!!

BTW.....The first years of Gold Wing's had kick starters but they were not permanently mounted....!

Yep! They were mounted under the right hand side of the false tank. Had several of those including a 76 Limited with the gold trim. That one had a leather case for the chromed tools.

So, what does the V stand for. You can look it up if you want.:smile2:

Rayjoe

CrystalPistol 10-16-2018 05:22 PM

A T140V is a 750 twin with 5 speed trans, V designation = factory 5 speed.

My first bike was a '70 Norton Comando, kick start, rt shift, 1 up 3 down.

Not sure what oldest bike I ever rode was, it was a Royal Enfield Interceptor (I think was interceptor, was a RE and loud and fast though) . vibrated bad but it would scoot!

Once rode a buddiy's Honda 350 and it had backwards shift on left. :D Rode my Sgt's old FLH once, he on my Trident. I hated that .. had to almost steal my T150V back at hot dog stop. ;)