Almost dumped..... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1994
Model: GL1500 SE
Almost dumped.....

94SE..... hit that pesky unintentional neutral yesterday ...... ( downshifting while coming to a stop ). Started turning right from dead stop and..... oh **** not again ! Sure makes you pucker.😰
CrystalPistol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:09 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Almost doesn't count.
Moved because it is not a technical issue.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Well, I was actually hoping to trigger someone who may know of a remedy for this. I have heard in the past that some 1500 trannys are prone to the neutral issue.
Point taken though.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:50 PM

Model: 2006 Level 2 Gold Wing
Just have to be more careful when you downshift. Hope that is all there is to it. Has clutch fluid been changed and bled recently? Reservoir full? You do not have a heel toe shifter, do you?
gumbyred
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I just never, ever, try to downshift into 1st while coming up to a stop, I leave it in 2nd gear.
the flat six has more power than needed to move around at slow speeds....

if you are trying to do so, apply a small amount of power, preload the shifter a bit, and then tickle the clutch.... it will downshift solid every time.

and never be downshifting in a turn. bad news at slow speed.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

No heel toe shifter. Just need to get in habbit of looking at dash when stopped to be sure green neutral light isnt on.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie G View Post
No heel toe shifter. Just need to get in habbit of looking at dash when stopped to be sure green neutral light isnt on.

No, you just need to keep power on, and the foot brake dragging a slight bit.
you cannot divert your eyes from "where you are going", if you do, you go down.

I ALWAYS keep a bit power power on, and the foot brake dragging ever slow slightly.

The Foot Brake is your Speed Control, the throttle is to be held in one position, and the clutch held in the Slippery Zone...

You must practice this for every stop, and I do it over and over and over....
Muscle Memory is what keeps the bike right side up.
Not your eyes looking at the dash for a greenlight

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:32 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
99% of the time I stop Im in the neutral. Actually way before that. Getting underpowered
could result in a broken leg especially climbing a steep mountain.

My friend Ray dropped his Triumph last week in a slow turn in the wrong gear.(3)

I see no problem with heel toe shifter and I guess the manufacturer or mechanics blame it for a faulty transmission. To me either you lift on one side or press down on another is the same. But again nobody blames me for being a mechanic genius.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Toolcraft4100

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: '91 Aspencade
I try to remember to stop far enough back so I am pointed straight when I take off so I can be rolling just a little before I lean into the turn. If I kill the engine on take-off (it happens) I want to be as upright as possible. Sometimes it's possible to kinda begin the turn before I stop and then I'm already heading into the turn when I take off. They didn't teach that kinda stuff in the MSF classes I took and it's not quite as important on those 300 lb. bikes they give you for the course.

toolcraft4100
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 01:34 PM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I have a neighbor that ride's a newer Harley Trike, he never gets into first gear when coming by my house in a turn and speed bump. Then he lets out the clutch and off he goes with very little control of the bike. I have mentioned this to him but he still does the same thing. This guy is very inexperienced rider, and second gear is to fast for all the things he has to worry about. I told him that I go out to a parking lot and practice slow riding and turns on my bike but he thinks he knows it all. Well some day he will meet a car in that turn and it will not be pretty . I leave my bike in gear at stop signs and stop lights unless I need to get something out of my pocket and need two hands. I want to be ready to move if I need to.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page