Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Almost worn out

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Bike...and Dennis 
#1 ·

Jack Geddes on Facebook posted today
291,000 and still going strong :grin3:

See less See more
#8 ·
At that many miles they will still run great, but you about have to give it away to get rid of it. Little repair jobs can get to be expensive. Just have to decide how much time and money you want to keep putting into it. I gave my 1500 away at 235K because it wasn`t cost effective to fix anymore. Wanted a 1800 anyway.
gumbyred

#9 ·
Something like a car, get past a certain mileage/Kms and nobody wants to buy it, or you get pittance for it. Motorcycle the same. I've asked many who make this type of comment if they wanted me to buy the vehicle and not drive it.

Labour if you do your own is not counted, in a shop will probably be expensive. Parts obsolescence is an issue, but the classic cars in Cuba are a good example of keeping something going, even if the internals that you cannot see are from something else.

Most of us use the bike for pleasure, or to supplement our transportation during good weather, hence you see a lot of older bikes with low mileage/Kms.

My last point is that if your bike is mechanically sound, and working well, would an upgrade to a newer bike be cost effective, especially if you have to finance it.

Besides it's fun doing the wrenching. Could have an older vintage car that comes out for Sunday drives. Lots of money spent by that crowd.

#12 ·
yes,
they will just keep on purring down the road.....

the only downside is, we almost have to give them away at "end of life" for our use...
but the bike? it don't know its' age, it just keeps purring along.

#14 ·
My old 1500 still purred like a kitten, BUT once the drive shaft splines stripped out, the fairing was cracked by the 2 screws that hold front of fairing on, the bike would quit running at the slightest rain fall, turn signal switch needing replacing, 4 way flasher switch likewise, and it needed a rear cubby hole door. Still looked good enough some people that didn`t know better asked if it was a new bike. But it had 235K miles.
gumbyred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.