i have buyers remorse - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:58 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
goldwing

That doesn't look that bad. Wash some of the grime off it and you may be more apt to like it! You might find a good looking bike under there.

Are you mechanically inclined? If it were mine, I'd be willing to put some more money in it. If it were in good shape and running well it would be worth around $1500 or so. You will most likely need to clean the carbs. A fiddly task that can be frustrating if you've never done it before. Those old wings are tough and 59,000 miles is pretty low. I would at least see if you can make it run!

Bearings and brushes are fairly cheap.

Again, WASH IT, and it will look 100% better.

However, that seat is butt ugly.

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.

Last edited by rayjoe; 12-31-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: the usual, typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:39 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Unless you a type that has a lot of time on your hands and love working on a project to see your accomplishments and plan on keeping for a long time I would get rid of it now before you put any more money into it. Since it is an 82 some parts might not be available. If the plastic and other parts are good you can probably sell the parts. Even if you get it running it is stuill an 82 and not worth much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman11! View Post
clear title. put in gear and it turns over.

thinking it has sat longer than led to believe.
guess 5-6 years??????? tooked starter appart

brushes bad, and berring on end grinds and turns very
hard. 59000miles.

The bike looks good but it is going to be something that takes time and patience. I can understand the buyer's remorse. I had some of that myself which is why I call my bike the 1985 Mistake.

If you want to ride, not repair and ride, then you are probably better off selling the bike and buying something that is already running. Give it a good wash and wax, put a $350 price tag on it and sell it to someone looking for a project.

Spending more time on my wife's hobby than the wing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:56 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Yeah, doesn't look that bad. Most difficult thing will be getting good parts and advice.

The side covers themselves might net you the 250 bucks you have in it... just sayin'

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I can offer advice at $1 per word

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:52 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
What your new friends will say...

There is no such thing a good running cheap Goldwing. They can be had for a few hundred dollars for a bike that has been off the road for years, but if you want a safe reliable bike it will need tires, wheel bearings, brakes, carburetors rebuilt, tank cleaned and coated, electrical repaired, cables lubricated or replaced, new fluids in the shocks and maybe seals and this doesn't include the stuff that was broken that took the bike off the road in the first place. There are some really good mechanics on this site and they are not shy about help with good advice.
Back in Oct 16 I bought a '85 interstate with 62K on it and it was last licensed in 2006. I did all of the stuff listed above, got it running, but poorly. I rode it that way through what was left of the riding season in 2017. Early this year I went through the carburetors again and got it running very sweetly and took it for a week long tour of eastern Oregon. The week after I got back the alternator stator went out and I pulled the engine out My wife asked me to keep a ledger of the cost of the bike and I can post it if you want. Before the Oregon trip I was into it for 38 weekends in the garage and $3400. The stator was another four weeks and $300. I could have done it cheaper, but I like to use high quality parts.
Even after all of this I'm very glad I did this. I took the bike out today for a couple of hours and it put a huge smile on my face. I think it is just about dialed in, I want to get the radiator rebuilt still. Otherwise it has 65K on it now and I really trust it to go anywhere. If you care to read what I went through to get the bike to where is is today, these are the threads I have created JamesPal's the Diva. You can see the issues and the great help my friends on this site have provided. You can expect the same.
Here are a few pictures of the bike, first is how far the bike was taken down, next is with the engine out to fix the alternator and last is what my bike look like today along with my '72 CB450K5. The last picture is of the 450 the day I brought it home, it was rusted solid. Anybody who goes through this is going to learn a lot. I hope you choose to go ahead with the rebuild. It takes a commitment.

EDIT: The link to my Diva posts doesn't work. If you want to see them, go to Advanced Search. It can be found under the Tools drop Down, Advanced Search, in the Search for type Diva and pick the Search Titles only option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage work (19) Web Size.jpg (146.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Out 2 Web Size.jpg (114.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg garage work (89) Web Size.jpg (142.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2016.jpg (133.0 KB, 51 views)
AZgl1800, detdrbuzzard and dwade like this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Garage
Very nice and you have pride in knowing that it is something you accomplished. I had a buddy that bought a 81 wing from a lady whoi's husband had passed away. It sat for about 4 or 5 years because she cfouldn't part with it. The bike was beautiful, black & chrome and not a scratch on it. The buyer worked a full time job so he would work on the bike on week-ends, after about a ;little over a year he had it running, Did everything including the stator just in case. He rode it a couple times and discovered he never could get comfortable on it, he was tall,over 6 ft. He sold it and the buyer knew he had a like new bike, So it ended up being a great experience for my friend and a great bike for the buyer. He never did that again.
AZgl1800 and dwade like this.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:41 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
There is no such thing a good running cheap Goldwing.
I can attest to this, even with a bike that is on the road. Even if you don't do some work/maintenance up front, you will do it sooner than later. I have kept a spreadsheet of what I have spent on my '85 LTD since I bought it in the fall of 2015 including "shop" supplies and it adds up quickly - not for the faint of heart. Cost for tires, battery, oil changes, fluid changes that should be just regular maintenance adds up quickly. I have not kept track of my time to do the work, but would not pay a shop to do what I have done.

It's not hard to rack up the dollars on an older bike.

The saving grace is that a well maintained and mechanically sound bike, old or new will go where ever you want it to. The Goldwing engines are very robust and go for a lot of miles. Nothing you can do regarding the electrics/electronics - problems with new or old and if on a trip, still need to get to a shop or trailer the bike home.

Judicious work and maintenance, with lots of perusal of the Goldwing sites can help keep your costs down. Don't skimp on safety issues.

Good luck.

Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:09 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Restoring something with less plastic, like Jim's 450, or better yet, an old in-line 4 makes more sense. And they can be found any where, any time.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Year: 1987
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Making a bike safe, reliable and pretty is going to cost. It's going to cost you money for parts, lots of free time, plenty of patience and sometimes it will seem like your sanity too. If you can afford all that, then start spinning the wrenches. If not, part it out now. You should make enough on the plastic pieces to be good.

I've restored to very good condition three (3) inline fours. It was what I wanted to do but I'll not do it again...because of the costs. I've also parted out half a dozen bikes from the 1980s. I used to make nice side money on eBay by selling parts but not so much any more. It seems like everyone and their brother is selling parts on eBay.

Nobody can tell you what to do with your bike and your money. But most of the bikes that I bought were from people who started rebuild projects and never finished...life changes.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Year: 1987
Model: GL1200 Interstate
My 87i had been sitting for 9 years when I bought it. Cleaned and overhauled it only spending around $300 in parts - mostly rubber boots and seals. I’m glad I chose a wing for my project. They really are built to last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4A4961EE-A074-4065-AEB8-8231023D4405_1546617172331.jpg (106.8 KB, 27 views)
JamesPal and dwade like this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page