5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
New Helmet For Christmas

The wife and I tried something new this year. She went and bought her Christmas present and I bought mine.
I went up to Cycle Gear and bought a new helmet. It's a Bilt 3/4 with built in head set. They had a clearance sale on them so I got a good deal. I wanted a Black helmet in a 2xl so they got it from another store, 2 days and it was here. The helmet has a full face shield and the built in Sena wiFi unit. The unit Blue Tooth's to my phone real easy. I think I'm going to buy one for the wife so we can talk back and forth and she can have music. The speakers sound a little better than my J&M set up in my old helmet. My old helmet was getting worn out starting to hurt so the padding was wearing. I did about 100 miles on the freeway to try it out, It feels real good a little lighter than the old one but it is not any quieter than my old one. I don't think for the style and the price I payed it's going to be quiet. The list on the helmet was $339.00 and I payed $169.00 . I bought a dark shield and a clear one, I guess I will have to take both with me or start wearing sun glasses. It was cold so I didn't try the vents but when it warms up I'll see if they are better than my old helmet . I just had my radio set up for my I phone at Sierra but the wireless deal is much better. The unit that Bilt get from Sena do not have FM built in, it only hooks up to a phone. But I can talk on the phone or receive calls. The only thing I will miss from my old helmet is the built in sun shade on the inside so I didn't need sun glasses. I should know more in August after some long trips this next year. I think this is a good helmet and good quality for the money spent. I tried on some much more expensive helmets and they did not feel any better. So like everything else this is a good helmet for me. Not the best but pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:37 AM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
It,s nice when Santa knows exactly what we would like .

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Goldwing
Model: 2008 90,000 Miles
Does the Blutooth unit detach from the helmet for charging? Seems a bit much to have to plug into the helmet to charge if that is the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:11 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkoi View Post
Does the Blutooth unit detach from the helmet for charging? Seems a bit much to have to plug into the helmet to charge if that is the case.
I have a helmet with a built in bluetooth headset. It is a bit of a pain to plug it in but no more trouble than having to detach it to charge it, I had one of those you could detach also but I always charged it on the helmet.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I haven't tried to detach the unit from the helmet. I just take helmet into the house to charge. I think the unit will stay charged for 8 hrs. but I don't know yet only used it for 2 hour's. I think the main complaint I have is not having the inside sun shade, I really liked that on the last one. Listening to music is good but answering the phone or making call while riding, I don't really need or want. The main reason I wanted this helmet is because my old helmet was white and people thought I was a cop. This helmet is black and matches my bike. LOL The Bluetooth is cool and easy to use but I haven't figured it all out yet.
Oh yea the Christmas trade was not that great, the wife bought me some other stuff and I didn't get her anything small. Felt kinda Small Christmas Eve.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burns View Post
The main reason I wanted this helmet is because my old helmet was white and people thought I was a cop. :
But a white helmet makes you way more visible. People often think I'm a cop by the way they act when I come up behind them, it has it's good and bad points. The good is they sometimes pull over and let me by, the bad is they slow down to the speed limit or less. HID or LED headlights also contribute to this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Personally,
I don't like the Bluetooth idea for my helmet, the darn thing will end up running out of charge, or I will forget to recharge it when done riding.

my corded helmet headset works perfect for me.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:03 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Have used SENA communicators for the past 4 years starting with SMH10R low profile. Can be detached but the battery is on the rear of the helmet so charging was done while installed on the helmet. Have the Shoei Neotec II helmets with the integrated SENA communicator. Have to charge on the helmet, but not an issue. Have USB ports front and rear on the bike(s) just in case power is needed. Started with the SENA units before I started riding GWs and have stayed with them since. Allows us to talk to other riders that do not have GWs or CB units.

I did a trip across Canada from northern Ontario to Victoria BC by myself and had the cell phone connected to the communicator. Enjoyed receiving calls because it broke the monotony of highway driving, not a lot of scenery change on the prairies. It allowed Sonya to contact me to discuss progress, chat and whatever - gave her peace of mind. My brother called me as well and thought it was a good idea. Nice feature.

As to the colour, white is also cooler than a dark helmet during the summer months.

Just my thoughts.

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burns View Post
The wife and I tried something new this year. She went and bought her Christmas present and I bought mine.

just restricting my answer to this topic:

My daughter lives with me, and I thank the Lord she does....
Her mom has been gone 2 years this month now, and I was totally lost for six months even with our daughter here in our home...

So, this Christmas, we started talking about what to do for presents?

well, as we both just get what we want, when we want it, it makes it extremely difficult to make an intelligent purchase.

Cyndi popped up and said, " I just made an appointment to get my hair redone, with a perm and shampoo, thank you dad, it was put on your debit card. "

She still got me some little gadget treats, but you get the point.
Jerry Burns and BLUTHUNDR31 like this.

~ John

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800
I always get a pair of socks .....but this year I got Greenbay Packer Socks ....Yeah !!!
I typically buy myself something.

This Year was a new Walther, 2 bluetooth head sets by trexzair (over ear works on cheek bone)
and new phone.

Good Job Jerry Enjoy Your Helmet

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page