LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Report on BT-S2 Bluetooth Headset

OK guys, (and gals)

I've been wanting to try a Bluetooth headset for a long time now, but the bewildering choices and reported issues with most all of these headsets made me a bit gun shy to drop $500-$750 dollars on the 3 headsets I would need...

Enter the BT-S2 https://www.gearbest.com/motorcycle-...ml?wid=1433363

At 35 bucks, it was a cheap way to find out if a Bluetooth headset would work for me, so I bought 3 of them for a total of right around 100 bucks..

Initial tests were positive with the device pairing well with my phone, and the other headset...

I then purchased this dongle - https://www.prohavit.com/products/hv...xoCNS4QAvD_BwE

and this cable

These 2 devices now enable me to listen to ANYTHING coming out of the bike 's audio system... This includes AM/FM/XM radio, GPS instructions, MP3 player on my 665 Zumo, weather radio on the bike, CB Radio - the whole enchilada!!!

Audio quality is good, but headset volume was lacking for my almost deaf ears (I do wear hearing aids but not when on the bike as they amplify wind noise as well) so I purchased a good pair of JVC Ear Buds https://www.hsn.com/products/jvc-gum...xoCWPQQAvD_BwE(others will work just as well) and then cut off the existing BT-S2 headphones and substituted a female 3.5MM socket to connect to the ear buds... That did the trick and now I can hear my music, GPS, and phone quite well...

The wife says the BT-S2 audio when listening to me on a phone call is quite good, so that's a plus as well...

The wife and I have not ridden together yet to try the intercom function as it's been too cold for her to ride, but we'll give that a go as soon as the weather warms up here a bit...

I have a riding buddy coming down in a month or so to do some wrenching on his bike and I expect we'll be riding a bit, so I plan to install one of my spare BT-S2 headsets in his helmet and see how it works bike to bike... They claim 1000 meters but that's probably a stretch, but if we can get good communication with our normal separation, that will pretty much complete the testing and pronounce it a success...

I've only used it for a few hours at a time, but both the dongle and the headset were still going strong after a few hours... You can keep the dongle plugged in while using it but I was getting interference on the audio when I tried this so I elected to just run it on it's internal battery... It is 4.1 BT so the battery life should be pretty good on it...

OK, now the bad news - - - I have not come up with a wireless way to use the CB microphone with this setup... One could hook up a separate dynamic mic and affix it to the helmet and splice it into the bike's CB mic circuit but that rather defeats the purpose of the wireless setup... I'll keep working on that, but I don't have much hope for a successful solution...

Here;s a few pics of the setup on my bike... If your looking for a cheap BT solution, this may well be your answer... While it's functionality is minimal with 2 channels, it does work, and works pretty well...

IMG_E1231.jpg IMG_E1232.jpg IMG_E1233.jpg IMG_E1236.jpg IMG_E1237.jpg

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Year: 1991
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
They DO a decent job considering the cheap price, , , AND they pair up easily with the Sena headsets, (my brother from WA came down and we rode the wheels off the bikes having perfectly clear com's), as long as the Sena uses the "NON-SENA" bluetooth pairing procedure. The "pair to two other devices" limit is a problem for large groups, , , but is fine for me because I'm usually solo and the BT-S2 is for the cellphone, navi, and tunes if I need. I've seen complaints about "returns"/"defective" units being a PITA from China, ,but so far I'm really pleased with it. My unit has been rock-solid for quite a while now.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:58 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I was looking at one of those dongles. "Those that know" said that cord wouldn't work, I had posted a question about it. Glad you posted this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 PM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
I have the Sena 20S and like it. I'm happy to hear someone makes a unit that is so much more affordable and works well. At that price nobody has an excuse not to buy one
IMHO having communications with a fellow rider not only makes a trip far more enjoyable, but increases safety too!

Dan & Jo Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The journey IS the destination .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUTHUNDR31 View Post
They DO a decent job considering the cheap price, , , AND they pair up easily with the Sena headsets, (my brother from WA came down and we rode the wheels off the bikes having perfectly clear com's), as long as the Sena uses the "NON-SENA" bluetooth pairing procedure. The "pair to two other devices" limit is a problem for large groups, , , but is fine for me because I'm usually solo and the BT-S2 is for the cellphone, navi, and tunes if I need. I've seen complaints about "returns"/"defective" units being a PITA from China, ,but so far I'm really pleased with it. My unit has been rock-solid for quite a while now.
Thanks for that info on the Sena pairing up with the BT-S2 - that's good to know...

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

GL1800 HPNAM9
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I was looking at one of those dongles. "Those that know" said that cord wouldn't work, I had posted a question about it. Glad you posted this.

It works just fine Dave - cable is decent quality too... For my function, the dongle is set to transmitter function and talks to the headset without issue... Pairs easily too!!
DaveO430 likes this.

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

GL1800 HPNAM9
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
They have the new version BT-S3 out now. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been quite pleased with it. I got it off Amazon for a little more (a little under $50) so that I could get it quick and wouldn't have any problems with returns. Streaming music, radio, and phone calls work well. I wear ear foam plugs, so it is just loud enough for me. One of these days I will get another to try the intercom.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry View Post
They have the new version BT-S3 out now. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been quite pleased with it. I got it off Amazon for a little more (a little under $50) so that I could get it quick and wouldn't have any problems with returns. Streaming music, radio, and phone calls work well. I wear ear foam plugs, so it is just loud enough for me. One of these days I will get another to try the intercom.
I saw that just yesterday... Looks a bit more stylish and ergonomic than the S2 and appears to have a longer standby time, otherwise the same functionality...

Glad your happy with it...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

GL1800 HPNAM9
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 PM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
I been wanting to get a set, but was afraid of the reviews glad to see some real folks buying them. Im at least now worried about buying a set. My Harley friends always give me a hard time because my music is always cranked up, Im hard of hearing anyway. They always tell me they cant hear the bike when it running but know it is because of the music. LOL!
Yes, I think they would greatly increase safety in riding with groups. In groups your only as safe as the least experienced rider if he goes down whos going with him. That would take a whole thread by itself.

GL1100
GL1200
KZ1000
Grizzly 600
CR250

Its always been Mind over Matter. I dont Mind You dont matter.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More riders seem to be buying them now and doing better with them... The Sena 20S and 20 Evo seem to be pretty popular and work pretty well... I had considered them but just didn't want to spend that amount of money as I needed 3 headsets, so I went with the cheaper Chinese BT-S2 based upon all the reviews I read... So far it is working well for me but still need to do some more testing to see if it fits all my needs...

If you want a cheap way to test, consider the BT-S2 or the newer BT-S3 - both still in the $35-$40 dollar price range from Gearbest (https://www.gearbest.com/motorcycle-...ml?wid=1433363)

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

GL1800 HPNAM9
Double Darkside - BT-45

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page