Chance to buy 1999 Goldwing - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Year: N/A
Make: N/A
Model: N/A
Chance to buy 1999 Goldwing

A co-worker of mine said he would sell me his 1999 Goldwing for $1500. It has 38K miles. Bike has never been dropped. The only issue is that it has not been started for the past 4 years. However, it has been stored inside his garage the entire time it was sitting. He figures it would cost around $1000 to have enough work done to it, to make it road-worthy. (Tires,brakes,carb work, etc..)

Does this seem like a reasonable deal? I have read that the 1500 is an amazing engine, so with the proper tune-up, could this bike still give me lots of miles? Does his estimate on cost to get it running seam reasonable? I am not even going to pretend that I have the mechanical knowledge to do the work myself, so it would have to be done by a dealer or someone that knew what they were doing.

Thanks

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 PM
big PIA

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Hard to pass up at tbat price, just tires alone can cost 250 up for the pair depending on what you buy. What shape are the plastics in? That engine hasn't been broken in yet, if it had been taken care off you should get many many miles out of it. I couldn't tell you what dealers charge but a lot can be done by you if you are mechanically inclined, lots of help here. Any chance of pictures of the bike? Not sure what you ride now but I loved my 1500 before I got hit and bike totalled
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I'd chance it, price is good. Can you do basic maintenance on a car/truck? If you can do that, get a good service manual and handle the basics, Seafoam in the fuel helps free up gunk in the carbs, change the oil and all the fluids and the fuel filter. These things come to mind so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Hello Tim and Welcome . The 1500 is a wonderful machine. I can say what shop fees would be as they differ all over the country . The bigger problem is that stealerships dont generally seem to work on bike over 10 years old . You might be needing to find an independent shop.
Do you have any mechanical skills ? tires and brakes are not so complicated as carburetors. Was there a problem when/why the bike was parked? Was it parked filled with ethanol laced fuel?
Its possible it may run albeit poorly. Sometimes additives will slowly clean up the carbs in place with continued use and application of additives to the fuel. Sea Foam and Marvel Mystery Oil both come to mind. I have used Sea Foam with some satisfaction .
Oh yea my 93 GL 1500SE had 209K miles when I upgraded to an 1800.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Year: N/A
Make: N/A
Model: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaWingAndaPrayer View Post
Hello Tim and Welcome . The 1500 is a wonderful machine. I can say what shop fees would be as they differ all over the country . The bigger problem is that stealerships dont generally seem to work on bike over 10 years old . You might be needing to find an independent shop.
Do you have any mechanical skills ? tires and brakes are not so complicated as carburetors. Was there a problem when/why the bike was parked? Was it parked filled with ethanol laced fuel?
Its possible it may run albeit poorly. Sometimes additives will slowly clean up the carbs in place with continued use and application of additives to the fuel. Sea Foam and Marvel Mystery Oil both come to mind. I have used Sea Foam with some satisfaction .
Oh yea my 93 GL 1500SE had 209K miles when I upgraded to an 1800.

No problems with the bike when it was parked. He had a pretty nasty leg break, which took him many months to recover from, and he said he just never rode it again. I can do basic maintenance myself, but I know I don't want to attempt anything with the carbs.

I haven't owned a bike for the past 5 years, but up until then I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:00 PM

Year: 2004
Model: GL1800
Buy it.
With the knowledge and information available here you can do most of the work needed to get it going. Maybe take it to a shop for the carbs.
I went 6 years after selling my 1500, a 94SE , before I got my current 04.

First thing my wife said?

I liked the old one better!
flylow and dwade like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:13 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I'd go for it. If you never get it running you can probably get you money back selling parts.

I wouldn't do anything before you empty the tank and clean it out real well. Whatever is left in there is no longer gasoline and will just make matters worse if you suck it into the carbs.

And I wouldn't spend any money on brakes or tires, etc. until it's running good.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:13 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I agree with Dennis,
get the bike,
pull the tank out, and clean it up really well.....

be sure all of the jell stuff is gone, and inspect it for any signs of rust...

report what you have, and then we will help you get it in order.
siouxindian likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:36 AM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
That's a great price but there are so many costly things you will "have" to do. $1000 probably wont cover the costs. Another have to do item is the timing belts. Sitting so long will have caused them to "set" and could break any time if you try to run the engine before replacement. If you can't do the service yourself. Who knows the cost. ???

Tom

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Model: 1988 GL 1500, 2012 GL1800, 1977 GL1000 2012 KLR 650
That is a great price. Jump on it!

My 88 sat for 8 years before I got it. If he stored it with gas in the carbs, they will need to be pulled, everything pulled apart and cleaned. Sea Foam will not clean all the small passages. If is sat for a year, then Sea Foam normally works. I just picked up a snowmobile that sat for a year with gas in the carbs. It started and ran, but not past half throttle. I had Sea Foam in the tank and after a few miles, it would run past half throttle. After two tanks of fuel with Sea Foam, it still was not right. I pulled the carbs and found that the low speed jets were still plugged up some. After a good cleaning of all the jets and passages, the thing runs like a top now. Way better then before the cleaning. Save yourself the frustration. Just pull the carbs and clean them.

Pulling the fuel tank on a 1500 is a bit of work. The whole rear of the bike needs to come off. The tank comes out the back of the bike. Mine was full of rust and stuff that used to be gas. Got it cleaned out and it is good as new. Below is a photo with my tank removed.

I put about 1K back in the bike after I got it running. I did a lot more work then just getting it running. I did the extra work and changed all the filters, fuel lines, coolant hoses, timing belts, rebuilt the breaks and master cylinders and new tires. This was a So Cal high desert bike. The dry heat kills rubber parts, so that is why I went to the extent that I did. I did not want to be replacing things every year as they started to go bad.

As others have said, get a shop manual. Clean the carb, get it running, replace the timing belts, and then you can go from there on what other parts may need replacing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9290018__1548949544_69.130.122.225.jpg (37.7 KB, 37 views)
dwade likes this.

Dan
AMA Life
2012 GL 1800 Level 3
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page