bear proof containers - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
Growing up in an area with lots of bears and then practically living in a cabin every weekend where the bears were everywhere around us I know their habits pretty well. They are not generally interested in humans as food unless they are injured or during the spring and the are exceptionally hungry and ornery. The are on the other hand VERY inquisitive animals on par with things like raccoons and they will investigate anything new in the area. If they even think it is food related they will figure out how to get into it. Bears are very persistent. And smart, one they learn how to get into something they do not forget. I have also seen the spam can deal, tow different versions. One was the plain bite the can and it opens. The other was hilarious and this bear had learned it before he came to our cabin. We would sometimes put a can of spam out several hundred yards away from the cabin and watch the bears. They were all over all the time, you had to walk past them to get to the outhouse! This one bear in particular would pick up the can in his mouth, take it to a large flat rock and set it down and then rear up and pounce on it with those huge front feet! POW, Spam everywhere as the can blew open.
Now this is in the Northeast of the country with black bears which are pretty docile as long as you do not provoke them. In the northwest where you have the much larger and more aggressive brown and especially the predatory grizzly I would not try this. Your best information will come from the Fish and Wildlife people in the areas you plan on visiting. They know the areas and they also know the bears, some of them individually.

I agree that they are not interested in humans. We stayed on Skyline Drive for a few days and bears were everywhere. Even hanging your food from a tree will not stop them. They climb the tree and try to shake it down.

I woke up one morning and started the coffee. Another one of the guys came over and said the tree 4 feet from my camper was moving. He thought it was a squirrel. Turned out to be a small black bear that must have been sleeping in the tree. He came down the tree and looked at us like "thanks for waking me" and just walked away. Guess he didn't want any coffee!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:17 AM
big PIA

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Texas View Post
Have a friend that camped in the Searria Nevada’s mountains and his girlfriend was coming up for the weekend and he told her no to leave food in the car because bears were prevalent in that area,she arrived and the camped and went to where she had parked her new Honda and all the doors and trunk were ripped off and back seat was ripped out,she had put the food in the trunk.
Just curious, did insurance cover the damage?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshine View Post
so even though this container is air tight water tight they will still smell food that in its own sealed wrapper thats put in the sealed air tight container, they will still smell this food from miles away? AZgl1800 was your food inside a canister? has anyone used a bear proof canister ? i've watched a few how to make home made canisters that seem to work i believe the main objective is to keep the food smell in the canister and not let it out. i dont plan to cook in my site i will say overnight at so there shouldn't be any food smell would like more info on this there has to be members out there that have used food containers to tell there story
Even an air tight container will have food odor on it and they will find it. A bear can smell even better than a dog, and wile I was a Military Working Dog Handler we were shown a pice of pipe that had caps on each end that were put on with thread sealer. The pipe had been run through a dishwasher cycle. It had 1 oz of Marijuana in it. The dogs could still find it. The bottom line is; You are not going to fool the nose of a bear.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticFour View Post
Just curious, did insurance cover the damage?
He never said,he thought it was funny,he lived around bears while camping.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshine View Post
so even though this container is air tight water tight they will still smell food that in its own sealed wrapper thats put in the sealed air tight container, they will still smell this food from miles away? AZgl1800 was your food inside a canister? has anyone used a bear proof canister ? i've watched a few how to make home made canisters that seem to work i believe the main objective is to keep the food smell in the canister and not let it out. i dont plan to cook in my site i will say overnight at so there shouldn't be any food smell would like more info on this there has to be members out there that have used food containers to tell there story
Remember what I said about bears being inquisitive and smart. If you are alongside a roadway or a campground then the bears know that containers hold food. They do not necessarily have to smell it. They know in the past that they have gotten food out of similar containers and they will at least try to see what is in that one. This is assuming you are in an area where bears are used to raiding human camps. Out in the wilderness if they can't smell food they will probably push it around just to be curious about the container but not damage it. But remember, you handled food while handling the container, their sense of smell is amazing.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
The National Park Service has been trying to build a bear-proof trash can for decades.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page