Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   bluetooth helmet headsets (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/666313-bluetooth-helmet-headsets.html)

MaynardGKrebbs 02-14-2019 08:52 AM

bluetooth helmet headsets

I am looking at cutting the cord, I have a 2004 GW with factory CB. I want to use everything Audio, intercom, CB, add on GPS and cell. I need some info on helmet systems. Cardo, Sena, Uclear all have models and I have read at all sites. what I need is some user feedback. If you believe factory info, they are all the best thing since sliced bread. For the price, I don't want to purchase something that expensive and not get good performance.

From what I have learned, a bluetooth dongle would work plugging into rider 5 pin. This would get audio and gps. Intercom would be taken care of by rider/ passenger bluetooth sets. Cell also would be handled by BT. The CB is where I get brain lock. How to get Mic signal to system.

Sena freewire, seems to have it all, but I really dont want to spend another $250-$300. I was hoping there was a generic work around that someone had figured out.
Any with experience on any or all the brands of helmet systems comments would be welcome.

corkya 04-04-2019 07:38 PM

I just yesterday ordered a Scala Packtalk Bold duo for a buddy and I to split (we are in different states). Yes it was expensive but we were getting frustrated with not being able to easily pair with other rides. I'll post here what we discover.

lionelgo50 04-05-2019 07:23 PM

I just got a used 2016 Goldwing and it came with two helmets, the Sena 10 Bluetooth headsets and two freewire units. I'm still learning how to use them, but they seem to be pretty good. On the Sena website they are supposed to be able to pair with other brand Bluetooth sets and are advertised to transmit up to a mile away, but I would be happy if they actually work 1/2 mile away, haven't ridden with another Bluetooth rider to try that part out yet. Good communication with passenger though. The video comes out good when recording with it.

corkya 04-15-2019 09:02 PM

Scala folks are working with me on this but Siri, from my iPhone, is not able to give voice commands but she can't..yet

Dannyboy1949 04-17-2019 02:33 PM

Sena makes excellent systems and may also make an interface that allows full use of your existing equipment. I've relied on this brand for about 7 years now with no disappointments. Whatever you buy, consider buying through Cycle Gear and pay the extra few dollars for their no-hassle extended warranty. These comm systems are doggone spendy and CG offers very cheap insurance.

MaynardGKrebbs 04-17-2019 08:52 PM

Ok , Thanks to all . I bit the bullet and bought sena 20 evo headsets. I originally purchased a set of Uclear Amp pros. I was told that they worked cross brand. But I couldnt get them to pair with my sena freewire. They paired to each other and to my phone OK. They sounded great, and I liked the hidden mic setup. Plus a simple 3-butoon control.

But since the original intent was to use the GL's sound system and CB was not achieved, I exchanged them for the sena 20s. So far it's all good, although I havent mastered full voice command yet. The 20s Evo is feature rich, and requires a learning curve for control of it's features. Fortunately there are multiply ways to reach each function, so if you forget how to get what you want, you can fake it.
I went to DennisKirk to by them, they are great. I carefully unpacked the kit, and attempted a benchtop pairing, when it didnt work like I wanted, I repacked it, and exchanged it for the sena units, just payed the difference. 90 days No Questions return/exchange.

fireshine 04-26-2019 07:14 PM

i just purchased the j&m bt4 head sets for our modular helmets and upgraded to the larger speakers and also got the dongle for the wing, that is a transmitter you install on the bike it plugs into the front head set cord area. you can use the cb,navi,xm,am/fm radio,aux and weather from the bike and it will transmit it to your head sets you can talk to the passenger make calls from your phone receive calls. it cost around 1200$ , if works great if you have any questions PM me and i can answer any questions