2018 Goldwing Test Ride - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2016
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Audio Comfort
2018 Goldwing Test Ride

I took my Goldwing to Muscleman Honda, in Tucson this morning, to have my back tire replaced.

I went in the showroom to drool over their chrome. I really like the CB1100 EX. It's a really well designed retro vertical four.

A salesman and I started talking Goldwings. They had two 2018s on the floor, as well as a couple of new previous year models.

After a bit, the salesman mentioned that they had a 2018 to test ride. At first, I declined, telling him I wasn't in the market. He suggested I take it out anyway.

What the heck. They hadn't even started on my bike yet.

I gotta say I was impressed with some aspects of the new bike. It's handling in parking lots and on twisty roads is a lot better than my 2016. It felt a lot lighter than I expected with the 110 lbs difference. Also, the walking forward and reverse is far superior to the previous Goldwing reverse.

Alternatively, I prefer my seat comfort and windshield/faring coverage, better than the new Goldwing.

I was mixed on the DCT. It was nice while tooling on the highway, but less so on the twisty roads.

My short test ride take away is that I'd get one, if I could justify and afford a stable of motorcycles. The new Goldwing would be my goto for trips around town and close to home. But my bigger Goldwing would still be my choice for longer highway rides and any multi day trips.

But then, if I could own a stable of bikes, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to buy the CB1100 EX first, or add another Goldwing. Retro frequently appeals to me and the 560 lb CB1100 is in an entirely different weight class than the Goldwings.

IBA 31586

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

-Helen Keller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:27 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPsycho View Post

I really like the CB1100 EX. It's a really well designed retro vertical four.
Me too. Beautiful bike.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:08 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Me too. Beautiful bike.
Me three, but I prefer the earlier dual muffler models with the cast rims.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
A good portion of my riding is to-from work on that 15 mile parking lot called I-70, the traffic congestion is getting to where regardless of the bike water-cooled is a must!

I still see a lot of Hardleys out there, I wonder how many miles of that stop-go traffic they tolerate before having to do a top-end rebuild.....

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

CB1100 EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Me three, but I prefer the earlier dual muffler models with the cast rims.
Personal preference, but I'm opposite there. I like the spoke wheels and dual vs quad exhausts. I always thought the quad exhausts looked heavy and excessive. The spoke wheels bring the late 60s motorcycles to mind. I'm assuming they are still tubeless, but I haven't checked.

I remember a tube blowout while turning a corner on a CL350. I didn't go down, but it was a close thing.

IBA 31586

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

-Helen Keller
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Oil Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
... regardless of the bike water-cooled is a must!
The CB1100 EX has a good size oil cooling radiator mounted above the exhaust header. There's no fan, that I saw, but it's a larger radiator than any of the aftermarket oil radiators I've seen added to Harley's.

I gotta stop. I might actually start thinking about getting one.

IBA 31586

-Helen Keller
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Personal preference, but I'm opposite there. I like the spoke wheels and dual vs quad exhausts. I'm assuming they are still tubeless, but I haven't checked.
Nope, they're tube-type. That combined with the job of keeping the chain lube cleaned off the rear spokes is a deal breaker for me.

Just a little "too" retro.

I don't recall a 4-piper model. Single, or dual.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Nope, they're tube-type. That combined with the job of keeping the chain lube cleaned off the rear spokes is a deal breaker for me.

Just a little "too" retro.

I don't recall a 4-piper model. Single, or dual.
I'll admit to not being all that familiar with the larger vertical fours, but the early CB750s and smaller fours had four exhausts.

Tube tires are a deal breaker. Chain drive would be hard to go back to, but I considered it, briefly, for nostalgic reasons.

IBA 31586

-Helen Keller
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:20 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
The earlier, 2013 I think, had cast wheels, but it had a small fuel tank. They changed to spoke wheels and a larger tank in 2014. I definitely dislike tubes, if I was to buy a new one (most unlikely) I would try to find some tubeless wheels.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I'll admit to not being all that familiar with the larger vertical fours, but the early CB750s and smaller fours had four exhausts.
I was referring to the CB1100 models. They had a single muffler, then a "Deluxe"? model came out with two mufflers. Both had cast wheels, as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
The earlier, 2013 I think, had cast wheels, but it had a small fuel tank. They changed to spoke wheels and a larger tank in 2014. I definitely dislike tubes, if I was to buy a new one (most unlikely) I would try to find some tubeless wheels.
I think that the "Deluxe" model also had a larger tank.

The model doesn't seem to sell well, no matter which version is on the market. I think it's one of those cases where everyone (like us) gets nostalgic over some model that sells well in Europe, or looks good on paper.

But, when Honda pulls the trigger and offers the model here, we realize "that's a lot of money for a toy I'll only ride around town, or maybe once a month on a local twisty road".

Both things our 'Wings actually do very well already.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page