OIL !!! but for my Briggs 'n Stratton 23 hp YTH23V48 - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
I have had a lot of John Deere mowers and multi grade will go out the valve guides,and the more hours,the more oil will go out,that’s why they recommend straight grade oil in air cooled motors,Onan can use multi grade in the winter to allow them to turn over better when cold,but expect oil usage,mine uses John Deere Torque Guard Diesel oil 30 weight.
John,I’ve had valves stick in the Briggs motors and pull out the guide,what I do is run some used oil in the gas for lubercating the guides,half qt in tank,they aren’t fun to fix.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Texas View Post
I have had a lot of John Deere mowers and multi grade will go out the valve guides,and the more hours,the more oil will go out,that’s why they recommend straight grade oil in air cooled motors,Onan can use multi grade in the winter to allow them to turn over better when cold,but expect oil usage,mine uses John Deere Torque Guard Diesel oil 30 weight.
John,I’ve had valves stick in the Briggs motors and pull out the guide,what I do is run some used oil in the gas for lubercating the guides,half qt in tank,they aren’t fun to fix.

I will start doping the gas with TWC3 or MMO then, or a few drops of the 'new oil'... don't want the valve guides to stick on this thing.

My Suburban has been a tad expensive over the last 5 weeks....
Exhaust headers fell off, had them welded up, looked good. that was in Savanna, GA

then in Fulton, MS the exhaust header flange at the end of the headers, where the tail pipe bolts up to the headers.... that flange just slipped right off the header pipe.... did not look like it had ever been welded from OEM.
took an hour for the backwoods shop to fix that, but it don't leak or pop anymore.

we stayed at the state park in Fulton, MS for 3 days. nice place.

3 days before that, we were just entering Fulton, MS when I noticed the voltmeter drop, and a red "Battery Low" light come on...... Cyndi Googled auto shops and found the one we used, they called up the auto supply and had a new alternator on the bench by the time we idled into their shop....
55 minutes and we rolled out with a new alternator. Good folks in the backwoods.

then just east of Alma, AR the front tires were bouncing so bad, that I decided we had to them replaced..... a result of a huge hole in west I-240 at Memphis, TN.... busted belts in the left front tire.

so, 2 new tires, and Cyndi drove us home.... I was finished for the day.
went to sleep in the right seat.

NASR 12
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

Forum link=>
https://bit.ly/2RsUJos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 04-15-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
What engines are in those John Deere mowers? I have one with a Kawasaki engine.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Year: 2004
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
If that engine has a pressure oiling system with a filter, I would go with oil such as the torqueguard 30w. Dipper/ splash oil systems should use the non-detergent. Pressure/filter systems should be detergent oil.

MGK
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
What engines are in those John Deere mowers? I have one with a Kawasaki engine.
Dave,most of the newer John Deere’s do have Kawasaki,I had Onans in the ones that I had but I had a Huskavarna that had Briggs in it,I bought it new but my JDs were all found parked in fields and yards and I restore them like new,hers on that 56 years old and has Koehler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC604CAD-5B85-4996-A866-5415475D329D.jpg (88.6 KB, 3 views)

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I will start doping the gas with TWC3 or MMO then, or a few drops of the 'new oil'... don't want the valve guides to stick on this thing.

My Suburban has been a tad expensive over the last 5 weeks....
Exhaust headers fell off, had them welded up, looked good. that was in Savanna, GA

then in Fulton, MS the exhaust header flange at the end of the headers, where the tail pipe bolts up to the headers.... that flange just slipped right off the header pipe.... did not look like it had ever been welded from OEM.
took an hour for the backwoods shop to fix that, but it don't leak or pop anymore.

we stayed at the state park in Fulton, MS for 3 days. nice place.

3 days before that, we were just entering Fulton, MS when I noticed the voltmeter drop, and a red "Battery Low" light come on...... Cyndi Googled auto shops and found the one we used, they called up the auto supply and had a new alternator on the bench by the time we idled into their shop....
55 minutes and we rolled out with a new alternator. Good folks in the backwoods.

then just east of Alma, AR the front tires were bouncing so bad, that I decided we had to them replaced..... a result of a huge hole in west I-240 at Memphis, TN.... busted belts in the left front tire.

so, 2 new tires, and Cyndi drove us home.... I was finished for the day.
went to sleep in the right seat.
Google “Briggs Stratton stuck valves” for some reason the do and it usually the v twin.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Google “Briggs Stratton stuck valves” for some reason the do and it usually the v twin.

just verified that, so I will take pains to be sure it does not do that.
I only use Pure Gas 87, never use ethanol.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/o...in-engine.html

just looked at the hour meter, 516 hours. thought it was 550

We used it 6 weeks ago, it has sat since then.....
it fired right up tonight and Cyndi mowed 2 acres with it.

NASR 12
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

Forum link=>
https://bit.ly/2RsUJos

~ John
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Dave,most of the newer John Deere’s do have Kawasaki,I had Onans in the ones that I had but I had a Huskavarna that had Briggs in it,I bought it new but my JDs were all found parked in fields and yards and I restore them like new,hers on that 56 years old and has Koehler
That's a nice one. Mine is a 1987 model so I guess that means it "newer".

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
That's a nice one. Mine is a 1987 model so I guess that means it "newer".
Lol Dave ,mines a 65,I have it for sale,I only use battery powered stuff now,yard is small and my shoulder hurts so I can crank them,my dewalt battery mower will mow most of my yard on one battery,it’s 40 volt

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
the label on the engine says 30w SAE non-detergent
this is the typical aircooled engine, it is a V-twin Vertical Shaft, horizontal cylinders in my Husqvarna 48" deck lawn tractor.
It has 550 hours on it now, and is using about 1/2 quart per 5 or 6 hours of use.... it runs at a continuous 3,600 RPM ( because of the grass blades ) … etc ...
and the lowly tractor is on SAE 30w non-detergent.

now tell me why, it should be non-detergent?
why not use a multi-weight in it too?

the manual has this note:

LUBRICATION •

ENGINE
Only use high quality detergent oil rated with API service
classification SG-SL. Select the oil’s SAE viscosity grade
according to your expected operating temperature.

NOTE: Although multi-viscosity oils (5W30, 10W30 etc.)
improve starting in cold weather, they will result in increased
oil consumption when used above 32°F/0°C. Check your
engine oil level more frequently

=============

so, stick with the SAE 30 non-detergent?

I use quality detergent oils in my B&S engines, often straight 30 wgt but 10w30 is OK in my one Vanguard V twin as it has pressure lube and filter. 30wgt OK in splash system.

Not so sure about switching over from Non-Det to Det at 550 hours though, and if I did … I'd do next few oil & filter changes more frequently.

I also check oil levels before each start.

My gen has a OHV 13 HP B&S, but my 1981 Wheelhorse is on B&S V Twin #2 … it came with single cyl Kohler but that was underpowered and tired, so I swapped to Vanguard and then accumulated grass in cooling fins led to overheated rear head …. so I replaced again with another new one. I also upgraded deck 20 years ago, from 36 to 48".
AZgl1800 likes this.

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )

NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page