Does making payments, vs. owning your bike effect the way you feel about it? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Does making payments, vs. owning your bike effect the way you feel about it?

A number of years ago I bought my first bike that I was making a payment on. It was used, but more than I could come up with cash. I had that bike for several years, but before it was paid off I traded it in on a new Honda. I had that for several years also. I sold it, then went and bought my current 1996 GL1500SE, but I had to finance it too.

However I recently was able to pay off what I owed and now own it outright. Funny thing has happened though. Now that it is payed off, I am thinking different about the bike. When I owed on it, I kept thinking that maybe I should get something else, its small imperfections bugged me and I dreamed of owning something else. Now that it is payed off, I am thinking differently about it. I am thinking long term, just ordered a new DS tire for the rear, I ordered parts to rebuild some Progressive shocks I bought for the rear. I am dreaming about taking rides on it instead of dreaming about a new bike to replace it. I also have a GL1200 and it is paid for, but it is a project and a post for another day.
I hate debt and have very little other than my house payment and I like to keep it that way. Even my cars are all paid for. (2017 Ford included). I guess I hate debt so much that I connect the debt to the object and I can't enjoy it. Payed for = Freedom. So I guess it effects my love for my bike. Crazy I guess

Do you think different about your bike depending on if it is payed off or not, or am I just crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Year: 2007
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Base
I don't think differently about the bike but I do sometimes feel guilty about making payments, the insurance, tag etc and not riding it as much as I could. I figure if I force myself to ride it I'm not going to enjoy it

Bob
1971 Honda QA50 (gone)
1972 Yamaha JT1 Mini Enduro 60 (YES! I still have it!)
1973 Honda SL175 (gone)
2001 Harley Super Glide
2003 Honda XR70
2007 Honda Goldwing Basic
2008 Yamaha XT250
2008 Yamaha TTR125 (My boys)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
paid cash for every bike I have bought.
had loans on two vehicles, a '65 Plymouth and a '74 Suburban which I needed for family reasons, but with a salary of $600/month, cash was not an option then.

I hated those payments, and swore "never again" and I stuck to it.

Well, I did until 2004, I drove up to Las Vegas, NV to visit old friends.
Just as I entered the city of Lost Wages, the car I was driving developed a horrendous transmission problem. It started slipping badly, but when it cooled down, it would act normal....

My friend drove me around town to go look at a '98 Dodge 1 ton diesel I had noticed while driving thru town to his home. when we arrived, I played hard to get, the truck had a lot of issues, I would not buy it w/o a 1 year warranty.... the salesman said "like hell" and I left.

30 minutes before they closed that night, I got a call from the Manager of the Dodge dealership in Lost Wages..... "what would it take to get you to buy that truck?" told him my terms, he said give me 5 minutes........... he came back to the phone and said "Okay, it is yours, come and get it".

After we got there, I signed papers for my Credit Union to cover the invoice... then I was asked if I wanted a trade in.....
I never once mentioned that car.... I said "well, what would you allow me for that car out front?"

the manager went out and looked at it, started the motor, stuck it in reverse, and forward, shut it off and came back in....

Forget now how much I got, maybe $1600? whatever, I was glad it was gone.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
paid cash for every bike I have bought.
had loans on two vehicles, a '65 Plymouth and a '74 Suburban which I needed for family reasons, but with a salary of $600/month, cash was not an option then.

I hated those payments, and swore "never again" and I stuck to it.

Well, I did until 2004, I drove up to Las Vegas, NV to visit old friends.
Just as I entered the city of Lost Wages, the car I was driving developed a horrendous transmission problem. It started slipping badly, but when it cooled down, it would act normal....

My friend drove me around town to go look at a '98 Dodge 1 ton diesel I had noticed while driving thru town to his home. when we arrived, I played hard to get, the truck had a lot of issues, I would not buy it w/o a 1 year warranty.... the salesman said "like hell" and I left.

30 minutes before they closed that night, I got a call from the Manager of the Dodge dealership in Lost Wages..... "what would it take to get you to buy that truck?" told him my terms, he said give me 5 minutes........... he came back to the phone and said "Okay, it is yours, come and get it".

After we got there, I signed papers for my Credit Union to cover the invoice... then I was asked if I wanted a trade in.....
I never once mentioned that car.... I said "well, what would you allow me for that car out front?"

the manager went out and looked at it, started the motor, stuck it in reverse, and forward, shut it off and came back in....

Forget now how much I got, maybe $1600? whatever, I was glad it was gone.

I hope I am never in that situation, but I know it can happen.
I guess having to make a payment on a vehicle makes it feel more like a burden than an enjoyment.

I still drool over the shiny new bikes out there and think how nice it would be to have one, then I think about how much the payment would be and it starts to look like a mill stone around my neck and not a fun bike.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
2 days ago, we got a "check engine light" on the car, a 2007 Pontiac Vibe.
had the code read out, it says 'evap' problem, YouTube says it is a bad fuel cap so going to spend $5 to $15 to get a new one and "fix" the problem hopefully.

take the car to a dealer, and it is $85 minimum here for diagnostics.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Garage
either way, if you pay cash or finance the bike/car you have a lot of money tied up in it. I financed only 1 bike out of the about 20 I have owned, I treat all of them with great pride of ownership.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I bought a used Harley from a friend of mine that owned the oldest Harley shop in Fresno. It was in 1981 and it was a used bike with 5,000 miles on it. It was like brand new, I paid $5,600 for it and bought it with nothing down, $156.00 a month for 3 years. Had a little payment book that had sheets to mail in each month with the check. Harold shock my hand looked me in the eye and said, Jerry I don't care if this bike is wrecked, stolen burned up in a fire or any other mishap, you owe me that money and I will do what ever I need to do to collect. I paid every payment for 3 years and got the pink and a Thank you in the mail. Harold started that Dealership in 1948 I think and must of sold a lot of Harley's to people on time payments and a hand shake. We used to look good on that Bike, ride 50 miles go to the bar have a beer, get back on for another 50 mile's all day long. Oh to be young again and foolish.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 1800 nav/xm
Garage
i take care of anything i buy either with cash or payments i plan on keeping them for a long time so PM is a plus for me

sanity,
2012- 1800 white the fastest color, why else would they call it white lightning?

2012 xl1800 timeout cargo trailer

2014 roll a home wide

2017 africa twin
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Year: 82
Make: gl1100
Model: interstate
i hate payments, bikes are toys where i live. snow cash only for me...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:11 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
When I was young all the motorcycles I wanted cost more money than I had. That meant payments. Now I'm old and all the motorcycles I want are old and I have enough money to buy them cash. I guess it is just your perspective.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page