1Likes
  • 1 Post By joe in calif

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1800 and Bushtec Quantum GL
Screwed buy the date code

Our new to us 02 1800 needed a new rear tire when we bought it. Lucky us, the P O threw in a new excedra with the bike . Only it turns out when I went to get it changed the mechanic
came out and says he can't get it mounted because the rubber is so hard. We checked the date code and lo and behold it come's up week 30 of 2010. This was a one of a pair of tires the PO said were purchased 4/16. The tire we took off was dated week 4 2014. If you order tires from Motorcycle Superstore as he says he did be sure to look at the dates when they are delivered . I just had to buy another new tire . I sure hope one of you buys our old wing soon because this one is causing me to BLEED MONEY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:29 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I bought an E4 from Dennis Kirk last fall, don't think I even looked at the date code.
I will do that tmw.

as the E4 is relatively new production, it should be just fine.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Garage
A friend of mine bought a set of front tires for his motor home. he checked the date code and it was a fresh tire. So he bought them and had the shop mount them. About 6 months later he had a blow out on the right front, rubber came up thru the floor board and almost took off hos wife leg. After the tire was changed he checked the date on the tire that blew and it was about 10 years old. They switched tires at the shop he bought them from. he couldn't prove it was the tire he bought because it was 6 months later and the shop said there was no way he could prove it was THE tire he bought there. So if you have your tires mounted at a shop, check the date after they are mounted.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
A friend of mine bought a set of front tires for his motor home. he checked the date code and it was a fresh tire. So he bought them and had the shop mount them. About 6 months later he had a blow out on the right front, rubber came up thru the floor board and almost took off hos wife leg. After the tire was changed he checked the date on the tire that blew and it was about 10 years old. They switched tires at the shop he bought them from. he couldn't prove it was the tire he bought because it was 6 months later and the shop said there was no way he could prove it was THE tire he bought there. So if you have your tires mounted at a shop, check the date after they are mounted.
Hindsight tells us it would be a good idea to have the seller record the DOT #s on the tire receipt.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Gave it no thought, but the Walmart store in Alma, AR recorded the DOT# on the invoice when I got two new tires there.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Garage
That is a great idea. I will make sure that happens next time I buy tires, As a side note, I had to buy a tire for my Nissan Titan truck, it only had about 5,000 miles on it and I did something dumb and tore up a rear tire. I went to Goodyear to buy a matching tire. They automatically add road hazard warranty with the price of the tire. I said I didn't want that added and the salesman said all your tires are the same, if you have a road hazard on any tire just bring it back, we have no idea which tire the warranty is on. I wonder how many places actually record the DOT number on the bill.
AZgl1800 likes this.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:40 AM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 1800 nav/xm
Garage
i just bought a Yokohama c/t for the rear from amazon the code was 2712 the dame tire was 7 years old i sent it back and got it off tire rack

sanity,
2012- 1800 white the fastest color, why else would they call it white lightning?

2012 xl1800 timeout cargo trailer

2014 roll a home wide

2017 africa twin
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:39 PM

Model: 1999 GL1500A 84 GL1200A/82 GL1100I/79 GL1000
Garage
Our Walmart notes the DOT number on all tire sales. They also check to ensure they are repairing a tire that is covered.

Larry
99 Aspencade Totaled 6/14/18(Deer)
84 Aspencade
79 GL1000 with VW carb

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page