Trailer speed limitation in California? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:58 PM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500A
If you plan on being in the LA or Bay Area, you will see that there is a web of freeways. Staying in the far right lane would mean you have to cross over a few lanes of traffic if you want to continue on the same freeway or you'd be forced onto another one. The traffic would be going at least 20 mph faster than you so you would be creating a hell of a mess crossing their path. Even going the posted speed limit for all other traffic, you will find yourself being passed by cops and people pulling boats. Yes, there is a speed limit but it is seldom enforced. They used to have special lanes for vehicles that had two or more passenger. I used to feel safe in these lanes when riding a bike because they were the only lanes people couldn't dart in and out of. However, my son who lives in the Bay Area says that they are making those toll lanes. You can bet your ass they will enforce that one. As Joe says, there are a ton of things to see all over California as long as mudslides and forest fires don't prevent you from getting to them. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
nothing pretty about San Francisco anymore.
the streets are full of migrants in tents, cardboard boxes, and filth ( human waste ) and trash everywhere.....

My son had to do a job there on a 3 week TDY recently, he sent me back pictures of all that I mentioned.... it is NOT the place that I visited in 1992.

stay away from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800
Garage
I appreciate the insight, experience and advice provided. Sounds like a lot less of a vacation and more like a stressful endurance run. I think we'll pop in from the north border to the redwoods and then sneak back out that way. My last trip was to SF 6 years ago, that was to be at UCSF hospital and none of that trip was enjoyable. Once I'm actually retired and have nothing but time on my hands I can waste it at 55 but on the back roads and trailer whatever I want and not risk getting rear ended or worse. It was bad on I-80 years ago but I want incumbered by a trailer. All in all probably a better reason to change destinations. Thanks all

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Year: 2001
Model: GL1800a
Like anything else- ride reasonably and don't draw attention to yourself / rig and you'll be fine. Cops have a lot more to sweat than chasing down bikes w/ trailers. The best roads probably don't have more than 2 lanes each direction any way- (or less) so find the secondary roads and enjoy California. The options and views are endless .

P.S.- hit Alice's Restaurant on skyline (CA 35) if you make it the bay area. then head down through Big Basin to the coast.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Year: 98 and 81
Model: gl1500 and gl1100
I travel to southern California regularly pulling my Bushtec trailer. I've never had a problem exceeding that 55 limit. While on the interstates I generally keep it around 70 + . Most of the big trailer pulling trucks are at 65+ so really I'm just going with the flow of traffic. On secondary roads (posted 55) I try to keep it around 60, that is if I think there is a possibility of a CHP sneaking around. I have had CHPs pass me up on the interstate when I was at 70 they didn't even look at me. So good luck and don't worry about it.......
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewman View Post
Also, motorcycles are permitted to "split lanes" as long as you don't exceed 10 mph faster than the prevailing traffic...

There's no speed limit for splitting lanes in CA... it's up to the officer to decide if you're "Safe" or not.
In practice, CHP on bikes routinely splits lanes MUCH much Much faster than this (relative speed vs surrounding traffic)... 40 mph (relative excess) is not uncommon.
Which is to say, that CHP will not cite you for your speed while splitting lanes ...rather, they will blow your doors off as they pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page