Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Trailer speed limitation in California? (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/667157-trailer-speed-limitation-california.html)

Pastot 04-30-2019 04:12 PM

Trailer speed limitation in California?

The wife has plans to vacation in California this summer. I had planned to haul our Time Out camper with the Wing but she doesn't sound up to riding this time so perhaps we'll take the cage. I had better destinations planned but she says we're going West this summer. Question is are we limited to 55 mph with a trailer in California?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ALEX BERECZKY 04-30-2019 05:13 PM

Yes, Trailers are limited to 55 mph and also only allowed in the far right lane (except for passing, in which case you can go over an additional lane to the left).

Stupidest rule around... very, very dangerous for a motorcycle (much less with a trailer) to be in the right hand lane on (typically) heavily congested freeways.

Enforcement varies, and it's quite common to see trailers use all lanes ...I've never actually seen anyone pulled over for it.

Chewman 04-30-2019 07:09 PM

Also, motorcycles are permitted to "split lanes" as long as you don't exceed 10 mph faster than the prevailing traffic. Now, I do not know if that pertains to motorcycles pulling trailers. However, even if you are not participating in that practice, it is something that you need to be aware of when you get caught up in some of that freeway chaos. Don't crowd the dotted lines, you may get a new streak down your side.

AZgl1800 04-30-2019 07:22 PM

personally?

I ignored that rule, I ride my bike where it is the safest while pulling my trailer, and I don't slow down to 55 either. never had a problem. that has to be one of the stupidest rules ever.... especially for trucks, "Hey guys, let's just stack them all up in a row so no one can get around them"

SMEDEN(=the blacksmith) 04-30-2019 11:37 PM

In Germany Europe , the speed limit for motorcycles pulling trailers is 37 Mph(60 Kmh) on all roads :surprise:
Actually the police want us to follow the trucks which is electronical regulated to max 55 Mph.

dingdong 05-01-2019 07:07 AM

Ignorance is bliss. We pulled a trailer from one end of California to the other and places in between. I had no idea there was a speed limit. Oh well!

joe in calif 05-01-2019 08:12 AM

Many years I was in central on my wing and pulling a trailer. I was pulled over by a CHP. I was in the #2 lane of a 4 lane highway. He said trailers are suppose to be in the far right 2 lanes. I said I see the signs that say AUTO WHEN TOWING 55 MPH. I said I'm on a motorcycle not an auto and didn't think it applied to motorcycles. He said it applies to all vehicles, he didn't site me. Now I notice the signs are changed to say VEHICLES instead of AUTO. On a 4 or more lane road you can be in the far 2 right lanes. As long as your not being stupid they will let you be. No one sticks to the 55mph, not even truckers, if your going with the flow of traffic your fine. I don't know where you plan on going but take a few days and ride the coast. Hit the redwoods also. So much beauty in Calif. We have it all, mountains, ocean, desert, and everything you cam imagine. I would stay away from San Francisco, iit is real busy and lots of traffic and hills.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...39354-98se.jpg

kgypsy 05-01-2019 09:58 AM

...and to their credit, both truck and motorcycle fatalities are eons lower in Germany than here.

And don't forget they have the autobahn.... but again much lower fatalities rates than the US.....

snowmoer 05-01-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewman (Post 5838729)
Also, motorcycles are permitted to "split lanes" as long as you don't exceed 10 mph faster than the prevailing traffic. Now, I do not know if that pertains to motorcycles pulling trailers. However, even if you are not participating in that practice, it is something that you need to be aware of when you get caught up in some of that freeway chaos. Don't crowd the dotted lines, you may get a new streak down your side.

No splitting with a trailer!!!!! As posted, trailers are only allowed in the right two lanes. Lane splitting is between the left #1 and #2 lanes.

I lived and have towed trailers in CA at 70 mph, MC, utility, and campers, all the time and have not had any problems. It just depends on where you are and if the officer wants to give you a ticket or not. In high traffic areas on more than two lanes, I just stay in the right two lanes with the flow if traffic. Most of the time, that flow was at 65 mph. In the open areas where it is two lanes, I just run at 70 and do not worry about it much. I have had officers pass me when I was running 70 and keep on going.

In the high traffic areas, I can see the speed limit being lower with a trailer. But on the open two lane controlled roads, it is a joke and should be at least 65 mph. Here in UT on the interstates, we can run 80 mph with a trailer if you want!

AZgl1800 05-01-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe in calif (Post 5838849)
I don't know where you plan on going but take a few days and ride the coast. Hit the redwoods also. So much beauty in Calif. We have it all, mountains, ocean, desert, and everything you cam imagine. I would stay away from San Francisco, iit is real busy and lots of traffic and hills.

nothing pretty about San Francisco anymore.
the streets are full of migrants in tents, cardboard boxes, and filth ( human waste ) and trash everywhere.....

My son had to do a job there on a 3 week TDY recently, he sent me back pictures of all that I mentioned.... it is NOT the place that I visited in 1992.