Trailer speed limitation in California? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800
Garage
Trailer speed limitation in California?

The wife has plans to vacation in California this summer. I had planned to haul our Time Out camper with the Wing but she doesn't sound up to riding this time so perhaps we'll take the cage. I had better destinations planned but she says we're going West this summer. Question is are we limited to 55 mph with a trailer in California?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Yes, Trailers are limited to 55 mph and also only allowed in the far right lane (except for passing, in which case you can go over an additional lane to the left).

Stupidest rule around... very, very dangerous for a motorcycle (much less with a trailer) to be in the right hand lane on (typically) heavily congested freeways.

Enforcement varies, and it's quite common to see trailers use all lanes ...I've never actually seen anyone pulled over for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:09 PM
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ

Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: 1500SE
Garage
Also, motorcycles are permitted to "split lanes" as long as you don't exceed 10 mph faster than the prevailing traffic. Now, I do not know if that pertains to motorcycles pulling trailers. However, even if you are not participating in that practice, it is something that you need to be aware of when you get caught up in some of that freeway chaos. Don't crowd the dotted lines, you may get a new streak down your side.

Current:
\'94 GL1500 SE w/ Friendship III sidecar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past:
\'76 BMW R90/6 {26 years!}
\'82 Yamaha 650 Special
\'91 Suzuki 650 Savage {2 of these}
\'82 Suzuki GL650
\'85 Honda 1200 Aspencade
\'98 HD 1200 Custom Sportster
\'03 Yamaha XVS 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:22 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
personally?

I ignored that rule, I ride my bike where it is the safest while pulling my trailer, and I don't slow down to 55 either. never had a problem. that has to be one of the stupidest rules ever.... especially for trucks, "Hey guys, let's just stack them all up in a row so no one can get around them"

~ John

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:37 PM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
In Germany Europe , the speed limit for motorcycles pulling trailers is 37 Mph(60 Kmh) on all roads
Actually the police want us to follow the trucks which is electronical regulated to max 55 Mph.

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:07 AM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
Ignorance is bliss. We pulled a trailer from one end of California to the other and places in between. I had no idea there was a speed limit. Oh well!

Tom

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune Sold

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:12 AM

Garage
Many years I was in central on my wing and pulling a trailer. I was pulled over by a CHP. I was in the #2 lane of a 4 lane highway. He said trailers are suppose to be in the far right 2 lanes. I said I see the signs that say AUTO WHEN TOWING 55 MPH. I said I'm on a motorcycle not an auto and didn't think it applied to motorcycles. He said it applies to all vehicles, he didn't site me. Now I notice the signs are changed to say VEHICLES instead of AUTO. On a 4 or more lane road you can be in the far 2 right lanes. As long as your not being stupid they will let you be. No one sticks to the 55mph, not even truckers, if your going with the flow of traffic your fine. I don't know where you plan on going but take a few days and ride the coast. Hit the redwoods also. So much beauty in Calif. We have it all, mountains, ocean, desert, and everything you cam imagine. I would stay away from San Francisco, iit is real busy and lots of traffic and hills.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 AM
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Year: 1995
Make: Honda (of course!)
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
...and to their credit, both truck and motorcycle fatalities are eons lower in Germany than here.

And don't forget they have the autobahn.... but again much lower fatalities rates than the US.....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 AM

Model: 1988 GL 1500, 2012 GL1800, 1977 GL1000 2012 KLR 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewman View Post
Also, motorcycles are permitted to "split lanes" as long as you don't exceed 10 mph faster than the prevailing traffic. Now, I do not know if that pertains to motorcycles pulling trailers. However, even if you are not participating in that practice, it is something that you need to be aware of when you get caught up in some of that freeway chaos. Don't crowd the dotted lines, you may get a new streak down your side.
No splitting with a trailer!!!!! As posted, trailers are only allowed in the right two lanes. Lane splitting is between the left #1 and #2 lanes.

I lived and have towed trailers in CA at 70 mph, MC, utility, and campers, all the time and have not had any problems. It just depends on where you are and if the officer wants to give you a ticket or not. In high traffic areas on more than two lanes, I just stay in the right two lanes with the flow if traffic. Most of the time, that flow was at 65 mph. In the open areas where it is two lanes, I just run at 70 and do not worry about it much. I have had officers pass me when I was running 70 and keep on going.

In the high traffic areas, I can see the speed limit being lower with a trailer. But on the open two lane controlled roads, it is a joke and should be at least 65 mph. Here in UT on the interstates, we can run 80 mph with a trailer if you want!

Dan
AMA Life
2012 GL 1800 Level 3
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I don't know where you plan on going but take a few days and ride the coast. Hit the redwoods also. So much beauty in Calif. We have it all, mountains, ocean, desert, and everything you cam imagine. I would stay away from San Francisco, iit is real busy and lots of traffic and hills.

nothing pretty about San Francisco anymore.
the streets are full of migrants in tents, cardboard boxes, and filth ( human waste ) and trash everywhere.....

My son had to do a job there on a 3 week TDY recently, he sent me back pictures of all that I mentioned.... it is NOT the place that I visited in 1992.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page