11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:52 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
build a new trailer yourself.... but it seems that time is a limitation for you.

My wood box trailer measure 32x32x16 inside dimensions.
I use a loose wood panel as a divider between the spare parts, spare battery, in the rear, and my duffle and clothes in the front. It balances out well that way.

Being a square box, camping chairs stack on top very well. It has permanent elastic "tie downs" on top to hold the chairs.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2018
Model: GL1800 DCT
Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
1st off, those gas containers you have are not Vapor Proof.
I bought a 2 gallon Plastic Jerry Can that has a single Cap that tightens, and is Vapor Proof.... it does NOT have that ugly, useless spout on it.
The new ugly spout is meant to tip the can, insert the nozzle into the (lawnmower/motorcycle/boat tank/etc.) and then press down on a lever to allow air in while gas flows out. I do not like the fact that they sell it WITHOUT a good standard cap, so you can REMOVE the spout for transport.

Quote:
I carry a Poly Ice Chest on my trailer's front platform.
( for me, it is used for ice/water mix for my Phase Change cooling vest)
That is what this box is, a poly ice chest.

Quote:
I would place the battery on the "shelf" or "rack" in front of the trailer, and use a standard Battery Hold down clamp available from auto stores to keep it in place. at the base of the battery should be a ridge/Angle Iron/Wood Strip that will prevent the battery from shifting horizontally. The Battery Hold down had two bolts on it, big long J-Bolts go down past the battery and thru the bottom of the shelf/bracket. Just like in your car.
The current setup is a CNC cut stainless steel tray that the battery box is bolted to, through the bottom. It is quite secure, and the cables and mount hardware are concealed.

Quote:
Battery Boxes, if they fit tight enough, will provide additional protection from flying granite knives kicked up by the bike's tires. IF, there is any room at all for things to shift, it will, that is a given because of the severe terrain you will be traveling over.
The bumps and shudders of the trailer riding over rubble do not really translate to the tongue so much. That is why I would prefer to put the battery and gasoline there.

Quote:
I would also get a Solar Panel and Charge Regulator to keep those batteries topped off
The trailer battery will be charged off of the bike while it is running. I will look at a solar panel option for longer stays at camp sites.

I REALLY wish Honda would make a 200 watt propane powered super quiet generator the size of a grapefruit!

Quote:
Speaking of tires. I would highly suggest you put a RF ZP tire on the back.
I am a Darkside Rider already

Joe
AZgl1800 likes this.

Any excuse for a ride!
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
build a new trailer yourself.... but it seems that time is a limitation for you.

My wood box trailer measure 32x32x16 inside dimensions.
Oh, man! If I built my own trailer, it would blow the motorcycle camping world away! I would do just that, but I am out of time. I will say it would be a LOT bigger than 32x32x16

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:51 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrider View Post
This IS a lockable plastic box It is also insulated, so the battery and gas would not "cook" inside of it, with the sun beating down on it. I will drill vent holes to air can pass through as the bike moves.

Joe
I can see it's a lockable plastic box but unless you put ice in it it's still going to get hot inside & the insulation takes up space, that was my point.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 AM

Model: '98 Valkyrie
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
I'm not sure what is more crazy, asking for opinions on this forum of putting gas and a battery in a non-vented cooler.
siouxindian likes this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
Put some heavy stuff in the Back of the trailer to offset it!
Oh, that's where I carry my gold bricks!

Joe
DenverWinger likes this.

Any excuse for a ride!
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I purchased the smallest Wal-Mart stainless steel insulated container. It is built exactly like the larger ones, except that it only cost $10.00, instead of $40.00.

Well am I GLAD I only bought the small one to test it. I figured that the cap and seal on the smallest bottle would be made out of the same material as the larger units.

I poured about a quart of premium gasoline into it and sealed it. I laid it on it's side in the sun, just to see how the seal would react to the gasoline.

The GOOD news is, the O-Ring was in perfect condition. The gasoline didn't have any effect on it whatsoever.

The BAD news is, I found only the O-Ring lying on the ground below the bottle opening. The gasoline had completely consumed the cap, and dissolved in into a small puddle of black goo.

So at least I know that this will NOT work for gasoline.

would anyone be interested in a $10.00 O-Ring?

Joe

AZgl1800 likes this.

Any excuse for a ride!
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 AM

Model: 2010
Garage
Have you checked gas station availability on your route. Hell you can ride to Prudhoe Bay without an issue.

2010 That is Black and has a Black Trailer on the Back.
2003 That is the fastest Red I've ever seen
Riding a 4 wheeler, 2 of them are on the trailer
My hair is white, my neck is red, my collar is blue.
Darkside #1721
2010 Rear-Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55R/16
2003 Rear-Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip 195/55R/16
Wild Rhino
Group of Ten (Those ten guys from Winnipeg)
AKA Wingerpeg

post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Have you checked gas station availability on your route. Hell you can ride to Prudhoe Bay without an issue.
It is not practical, and maybe not even possible to plan for all gas stops along a 7,000 mile route for a bike that gets a nail biting 120 Miles per Tank of fuel while towing a trailer.

Once I cross into Canada, I am not at the mercy of the distance between gas stations. I am at the mercy of the distance between gas stations that are OPEN, and HAVE fuel, and can DISPENSE fuel.

The same goes for the roads in Alaska. A gas STATION up the road does not guarantee GASOLINE up the road. It is great to know that the next station is "only 90 miles up the road", but what happens when I get there, and it is closed, or out of fuel, or there is no power for their pumps, or it burned down and someone forgot to send me the MILEPOST update insert flyer?

Having never ridden through Canada from The U.S. border to Prudhoe, Alaska, nor across the country from coast to coast, west to east, I have absolutely no idea what I will encounter in the 7,000 miles + distance, but I do know I am not going to rely on the smaller gas tank of the new Goldwing! The North is hilly country. I am TOLD that sections of the road are less than perfectly paved, so dodging construction, slowing for gravel, and other obstacles will also eat away at the tank range. I believe Canada and Alaska not the places to set new high MPG records.

Honda had their heads deeply wedged up their rectums when they did that. A Goldwing should have a 300 MILE range or better, not "140 miles on a good day with a tailwind, and less if you are towing a trailer."

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page