Your Opinions Please - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Model: 2010
Garage
I understand your concerns. If its in your comfort zone, pack the gas. Actually you burn less gas in the mountains or on gravel than blasting slab in the flats with a tail wind. On my previous trips, I would be gassing up at 1/2 or 3/4 of a tank just cause it was there.
AZgl1800 likes this.

2010 That is Black and has a Black Trailer on the Back.
2003 That is the fastest Red I've ever seen
Riding a 4 wheeler, 2 of them are on the trailer
My hair is white, my neck is red, my collar is blue.
Darkside #1721
2010 Rear-Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55R/16
2003 Rear-Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip 195/55R/16
Wild Rhino
Group of Ten (Those ten guys from Winnipeg)
AKA Wingerpeg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I understand your concerns. If its in your comfort zone, pack the gas. Actually you burn less gas in the mountains or on gravel than blasting slab in the flats with a tail wind. On my previous trips, I would be gassing up at 1/2 or 3/4 of a tank just cause it was there.

I well remember a trip going home from Corpus Christi to Phx, AZ.
Somewhere just north of San Antonio, Texas..... just a small place

the '98SE showed something like half a tank of gas..... and I passed the gas station in front of me...

ah, not to worry, will just stop at the next one...

well, the odometer trip meter was north of 215 miles since last gas stop when I finally saw a small shack by the road..... 1 gas pump, and 20 candy bars for sale.

The yellow light "Fuel Low" had been staring me in the face for what seemed like 10 years.... I remember slowing down to 40 mph for the rest of that segment.... to stretch out what little gas was left in the tank.

That did it for me, I now carry 2 gallons in the right saddle bag at all times, even around here at home.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Model: 2010
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I well remember a trip going home from Corpus Christi to Phx, AZ.
Somewhere just north of San Antonio, Texas..... just a small place

the '98SE showed something like half a tank of gas..... and I passed the gas station in front of me...

ah, not to worry, will just stop at the next one...

well, the odometer trip meter was north of 215 miles since last gas stop when I finally saw a small shack by the road..... 1 gas pump, and 20 candy bars for sale.

The yellow light "Fuel Low" had been staring me in the face for what seemed like 10 years.... I remember slowing down to 40 mph for the rest of that segment.... to stretch out what little gas was left in the tank.

That did it for me, I now carry 2 gallons in the right saddle bag at all times, even around here at home.

On my sweet ol 82, remove the glove box and you had all kinds of extra storage inside that faring. I carried a 3ft - 3/16 diameter rubber hose, empty water bottle, along with all kinds a wiring, connectors, ignition harness, spark pugs, tape, etc. On more than one occasion that hose and water bottle got pulled out, siphoned out of my tank to help someone on the side of the road. Though I never had to use it on myself, but it was there if needed.

2010 That is Black and has a Black Trailer on the Back.
2003 That is the fastest Red I've ever seen
Riding a 4 wheeler, 2 of them are on the trailer
My hair is white, my neck is red, my collar is blue.
Darkside #1721
2010 Rear-Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55R/16
2003 Rear-Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip 195/55R/16
Wild Rhino
Group of Ten (Those ten guys from Winnipeg)
AKA Wingerpeg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2018
Model: GL1800 DCT
Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I now carry 2 gallons in the right saddle bag at all times, even around here at home.
Umm ... two gallons of gasoline in a plastic saddlebag over a hot muffler is an explosion and a fire-y death in a side collision. I would never carry gas in a saddlebag.

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

It occurs to me that small BOATS with outboard motors use gasoline and the gas is generally kept in a metal can next to the battery. The gas cans for boats have a flat bottom, and are shaped like a fat loaf of bread. They are also sealed. So as I head for California, and get with a good friend who has the same CNC plasma table I have, we will design a roof rack for the trailer that will securely nestle a small boat gas tank over the cargo pod, and keep it away from the battery, the exhaust and other hazards.

It would be cool if someone could find a substance that they can pour into gasoline,t hat would float to the top, sort of like oil on water. Then gasoline in a can would have that vapor barrier on top of the fuel, and the gas could be drained out of the bottom of the tank. It would eliminate the risk of an explosion, because the gas would never be able to achieve a vapor state, which is what ignites. This is why you can throw a lit match into a can of diesel fuel. Diesel does not emit volatile fumes that can be ignited. It takes a LOT more heat to ignite diesel.

Frankly, if they ever come out with a turbo diesel Goldwing, I will be one of their first customers!

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
There is one such diesel smoking beast running around.
it has been around the world more than once.
I saw it at one of our rallys, got pictures of it somewhere.

~ John

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrider View Post
It occurs to me that small BOATS with outboard motors use gasoline and the gas is generally kept in a metal can next to the battery. The gas cans for boats have a flat bottom, and are shaped like a fat loaf of bread. They are also sealed. So as I head for California, and get with a good friend who has the same CNC plasma table I have, we will design a roof rack for the trailer that will securely nestle a small boat gas tank over the cargo pod, and keep it away from the battery, the exhaust and other hazards.

It would be cool if someone could find a substance that they can pour into gasoline,t hat would float to the top, sort of like oil on water. Then gasoline in a can would have that vapor barrier on top of the fuel, and the gas could be drained out of the bottom of the tank. It would eliminate the risk of an explosion, because the gas would never be able to achieve a vapor state, which is what ignites. This is why you can throw a lit match into a can of diesel fuel. Diesel does not emit volatile fumes that can be ignited. It takes a LOT more heat to ignite diesel.

Frankly, if they ever come out with a turbo diesel Goldwing, I will be one of their first customers!

Joe

To make an explosion, the oxygen gasoline vapor mixture band is quite narrow. The danger is fire, should the bike be overturned and the fuel spill. I suggest UL approved gas cans and find a way to keep them outside of a closed container. Don't fill them more than 90% and check them whenever you stop.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:25 PM

Instead of a heavy deep cycle battery, why not a good high cApacity lithium ion battery...or 2 if needed. Those will be considerably lighter while providing ample power. As for a solar panel to keep them charged, I use a solar battery maintainer panel from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools ...(about $20 each on sale) to keep my dozers 1100 amp battery charged when it’s parked in the field away from electricity. I leave it connected all winter long and it has never overcharged the battery.
AZgl1800 likes this.

1999 Honda VT1100T Ace Tourer
\'04 GL1800 Goldwing (previous),
and now '04 GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Gas cans

The riders that do the ironbutt have gas containers located somewhere,I just know exactit is or the container they use.
Here,https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...2Yycsw4yeWMt5C
Here.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...omyCXlzgRny_9M

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

There is a separate connector from the bike's battery to the tongue battery. The bike will top off the AUX battery while I am riding.

Wouldn't it be nice if HONDA or some aftermarket genius came out with a high quality AUX fuel tank that would be blow molded to fit snugly and precisely inside of the rear trunk? You could raise up the lid, slip this bad boy into the rear trunk, and have maybe ... four gallons? of extra fuel. A quick connect FACTORY fuel line connection could be added to act as a filler-on-the-go. So when your gas gauge reads empty, you push another button to open an electronic valve. The fuel would simply trickle down to your main tank via gravity, and would automatically shut off the fuel flow when the existing fuel level sensor reached say ... 95%, to allow for slow reading of the fuel level sensor. A flow meter could tell you the approximate quantity of fuel remaining in the AUX tank, along with a calculation of range.

AUX Fuel Tank Remaning: 1.4 Gallons - AUX Range 62 miles

Hell, if you didn't want to give up the ridiculously small rear trunk space on the new Wings, even an external tank shaped to compliment the bike's body lines, in bright fire engine red, that securely fastens to the rear trunk rack could carry two or three gallons easily. For an IBA ride, you could use BOTH, and probably have a range of 400 miles or more.

Am I asking for the world here?

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page