LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2018
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 DCT
Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaTrider View Post
Instead of a heavy deep cycle battery, why not a good high cApacity lithium ion battery...or 2 if needed. Those will be considerably lighter while providing ample power. As for a solar panel to keep them charged, I use a solar battery maintainer panel from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools ...(about $20 each on sale) to keep my dozers 1100 amp battery charged when itís parked in the field away from electricity. I leave it connected all winter long and it has never overcharged the battery.
I have seen some smaller Lithium-ION batteries, but never one large enough to give any real power reserve to a heavy load. They are usually for recharging cell phones and such, but with this deep cycle marine battery, I could set up campsite lights, run a computer or two for many, many hours, run a CPAP machine all night long (I haven't yielded to that admission of old age quite yet) and even jump start my own bike or another bike, ... or that old Beetle stranded on the side of the long lonely country road driven a beautiful young nymph with a cute pouty face and body that could cause the Pope to kick in a stained glass window, sitting in the driver's seat in barely enough clothing to be legal in public because of the hot night air ...

Hey, it COULD happen!

I travel alone, but I take TWO helmets. Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared!

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:07 PM

Year: 1984
Model: GL1200I
Garage
+1 on the LiPo batteries. WAY smaller and lighter. Really robust too. You could put two LiPo batteries in a fire bag for less than the cost of a decent deep cycle. Two 7.4 volt LiPos in series will start my truck no problem. 5.2 amp hour, 14.8v nominal, about $45.

Why not get like a proper tongue box from Harbor Freight? They're cheap, light, and designed for this.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonimusMaximus View Post
+1 on the LiPo batteries. WAY smaller and lighter. Really robust too. You could put two LiPo batteries in a fire bag for less than the cost of a decent deep cycle. Two 7.4 volt LiPos in series will start my truck no problem. 5.2 amp hour, 14.8v nominal, about $45.

Why not get like a proper tongue box from Harbor Freight? They're cheap, light, and designed for this.
Because the box alone is 46 pounds.

Joe

Tongue Box

Any excuse for a ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonimusMaximus View Post

When you say two 7.4 batteries will START your truck "no problem", are you saying they will start your truck ALONE, or are you just using them to give your regular battery a quick boost? Because those two small batteries would have to produce some 400 cold cranking amps of power during the time you are cranking your engine.

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 AM

Year: 1992
Model: Aspencade 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrider View Post
Hell, if you didn't want to give up the ridiculously small rear trunk space on the new Wings, even an external tank shaped to compliment the bike's body lines, in bright fire engine red, that securely fastens to the rear trunk rack could carry two or three gallons easily. For an IBA ride, you could use BOTH, and probably have a range of 400 miles or more.
I saw one aux tank that sits in the passenger seat, it held close to 5 gallons.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
My "Camping" battery is a 110 Amp-Hour Deep Cycle. Heavy as hell but lots of juice!

Besides pulling our Trav-Lite Camper with the bike it is often hitched to the back of the Jeep. We enjoy rock-hopping thru the 4X4 Forest Access roads in the Colorado high country and camping in the forest. There's plenty of roads not so "gnarly" we can't get the camper down them. When we do that, the camper is loaded very light - just blankets, foldy chairs and light stuff that doesn't care about getting bounced around, and most of the gear (Battery, too) is in the Jeep.

One of our favorite spots is at almost 10,000 ft Altitude, and it can get downright COLD (below freezing) at night. Been more than one night we hotted up an electric blanket on the AC inverter.

180 Watt 120v electric blanket = roughly 2 amps 120v AC, or 20 Amps 12v DC, add another 5 amps for inverter inefficiencies. Of course, the blanket isn't on constant, it cycles on and off. With a 110 Amp-Hr battery that's over 4 hrs of blanket "On" time. The battery also powers some strings of lights around the edge of the pop-up canopy and lighting above the cookstove and propane grill, the JVC Boom Box (Gotta have our tunes) and a laptop computer - We might watch a movie or two. If we don't use the blanket the battery will last a 4 day weekend on one charge, otherwise recharge it from the Jeep in the morning.

Try doing THAT with a Lithium Ion pack.

We don't usually need the battery when Bike camping, we're usually in a campground with power. But if there's room in the trailer I bring it anyway.

I want to make a box on the trailer tongue for the battery, but the BBQ sits there bungy-corded to the spare tire. Don't want that messy thing inside the camper. Will have to look at moving the spare tire and grill forward to do that.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post

I want to make a box on the trailer tongue for the battery, but the BBQ sits there bungy-corded to the spare tire. Don't want that messy thing inside the camper. Will have to look at moving the spare tire and grill forward to do that.
Or have a talented welder extend the tongue! Tongue weight is ONLY an issue when it is close to the ball hitch. Three feet back, it is less of an issue.

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambozoClown View Post
I saw one aux tank that sits in the passenger seat, it held close to 5 gallons.
Hey! Now There's an idea! A life-size hollow plastic fuel tank in the shape of a heart-stopping 22-year old well endowed female!! Take the helmet off and open the filler cap at the top of the head. Left leg feeds the engine, right leg is the reserve tank! Get snap-on biker chick clothing, some chaps to keep her cool, and a cool pair of sunglasses, and IBA, here we come!

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:22 AM

Year: 1992
Model: Aspencade 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
Try doing THAT with a Lithium Ion pack.
Not a problem with lithium iron phosphate. Half the weight but 5 to 10 times the price.

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/...m-ion-battery/
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:31 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrider View Post

Wouldn't it be nice if HONDA or some aftermarket genius came out with a high quality AUX fuel tank that would be blow molded to fit snugly and precisely inside of the rear trunk? You could raise up the lid, slip this bad boy into the rear trunk, and have maybe ... four gallons? of extra fuel.

Except it would exceed the trunk carrying capacity. But unless you are stick people you already exceed the bike's capacity anyway.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page