Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Your Opinions Please (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/667511-your-opinions-please.html)

kentuckyrider 06-01-2019 11:39 PM

Your Opinions Please

Okay, I need opinions.

I am thinking of putting this cooler on the tongue of my trailer. It would contain a large deep cycle 12vdc battery, and two gallons of gasoline in either two or four containers.

I know ... "Joe! The SPARKS will blow you up!" Well, there will not BE any sparks. I want a clean way to carry extra gasoline ONLY while in the remote areas of Canada and along the road to Alaska, so I don't run out of fuel.

I really like the insulated stainless steel containers, and the cooler itself would be insulated, so heat would not be a problem. However, I have purchased one smaller stainless container and will test it for resilience to gasoline. The plastic cap seems to be high quality, but if gasoline eats at the seal, it will NOT work.

The other option is the more ugly and clunky separate battery box, with the gasoline containers on a rack on either side, and all three items exposed to prying eyes and dirt, bugs, rocks, etc. I am not excited about this option, because gas containers and battery boxes attract THIEVES, but a cooler is less of a target for thieves.

Here are the photos. Your votes count!

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4...f19e92866d.jpg

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4...7445a25060.jpg

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4...6b4191dc54.jpg

kentuckyrider 06-02-2019 12:21 AM

I can make a nice stainless steel bracket to mount on both sides, to hang those handles onto, so the containers do not move at all.

Joe

AZgl1800 06-02-2019 02:13 AM

1st off, those gas containers you have are not Vapor Proof.
I bought a 2 gallon Plastic Jerry Can that has a single Cap that tightens, and is Vapor Proof.... it does NOT have that ugly, useless spout on it.

I carry a Poly Ice Chest on my trailer's front platform.
( for me, it is used for ice/water mix for my Phase Change cooling vest)

My trailer is a wooden box with a "tongue" sticking further about 24 inches.... that is where the ice chest and spare stuff sits.

I would place the battery on the "shelf" or "rack" in front of the trailer, and use a standard Battery Hold down clamp available from auto stores to keep it in place. at the base of the battery should be a ridge/Angle Iron/Wood Strip that will prevent the battery from shifting horizontally. The Battery Hold down had two bolts on it, big long J-Bolts go down past the battery and thru the bottom of the shelf/bracket. Just like in your car.

Battery Boxes, if they fit tight enough, will provide additional protection from flying granite knives kicked up by the bike's tires. IF, there is any room at all for things to shift, it will, that is a given because of the severe terrain you will be traveling over.

I would also get a Solar Panel and Charge Regulator to keep those batteries topped off while traveling. I bought one last month, it puts out 10 amps max, and is just about the size of the top of a motorcycle trailer.

https://www.aimscorp.net/120-watt-po...ystalline.html

The solar panels are packaged into a canvas folding "briefcase" that protects them while not in use. it is dark outside, I will take some pictures tomorrow to show it to you.

the neat thing about the Solar Panel is that while you are stopped and working out of a basecamp, it can keep your batteries in good health. I'm not sure about keeping them from being stolen, you will have to be inventive there.

there is a separate small package that contains the Charge Regulator. I have that with the package.

That solar panel can kick ass, when it was shipped, they crimped on two spade lug terminals and just stuffed them into the ouside pockets to keep them tidy.....
el wrongo!!!

I did not know that, and unfurled the panels on a cloudy day, and the terminals melted right off.... like in about 5 seconds!!! we quickly folded it back up, and then pursued the problem ( chase the good smoke ) and found the melted terminals. we replaced them with a Battery Tender brand, two wire battery connector. end of problem. like I said, pictures tmw.

Speaking of tires. I would highly suggest you put a RF ZP tire on the back, it will provide much better service in Alaska than a m/c tire. Especially pulling a trailer. I pulled my trailer over 4,000 miles "on pavement" and the tire still had the little nipples on the tread when I got home.

AZgl1800 06-02-2019 02:15 AM

my Jerry can holds 2 gallons, and rides in the right side Saddle bag, to the rear, out of sight.

it fits snugly, and I have never, ever, smelled any fumes when the saddle bag door is opened. that is where I store my Frogg Toggs and bike covers, makes for nice fluffy stuffing to hold that can tight.

it has been there for 3 years now, never been opened, and no fumes.
I left two inches of room at the top for expansion in warm weather.

for you? I would recommend two 2 gallon cans.
two riders who went to Alaska have reported on here, that 2 gallons is not enough, they ran out before the next fuel stop. which involved someone else going after fuel.

DaveO430 06-02-2019 05:30 AM

I wouldn't have a problem carrying fuel and a battery together but that cooler is an inefficient design for that. Get a metal or plastic lockable box you can bolt in place.

alwims 06-02-2019 08:13 AM

Damn, that's a lot of weight on the back of a Goldwing hitch.

DenverWinger 06-02-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwims (Post 5844787)

Put some heavy stuff in the Back of the trailer to offset it!

kentuckyrider 06-02-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwims (Post 5844787)

I have been thinking of putting the battery INSIDE the Escapade trailer, at the rear center, and behind the axle. That will put the battery's weight in a position to lift weight OFF of the tongue.

I am trying to avoid loosing the interior length though, because my tent is long when folded. It is a tent from REI. It is 10x10 when set up, and over six feet tall inside. I am beyond the age of crawling into tents on my knees. The tent is an "instant set up" model that one man can set up in about two minutes. It is a really nice tent, but at the cost of being about the size of a long narrow gun case when folded.

I will have to work out the logistics today. I am alo considering having a friend in CommieFornia make a top box for me. I have run out of time to do it here. The top box, made out of aluminum, would be for the bulky stuff that I may not need to access on a regular basis. The rain suit and boots, spare helmet, gloves, and such. He has the same CNC plasma table that I have, but he is FAR more talented than I am at welding aluminum, so we are discussing a design for a box about 28" wide x 32-38" long, with a rounded nose and a rear shape that follows the contour of the rear wing on the lid of the trailer. It would be powder coated.

I have had much more tongue weight than that in the past, and it has never been a problem.

Joe

kentuckyrider 06-02-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5844775)
I wouldn't have a problem carrying fuel and a battery together but that cooler is an inefficient design for that. Get a metal or plastic lockable box you can bolt in place.

This IS a lockable plastic box :wink2: It is also insulated, so the battery and gas would not "cook" inside of it, with the sun beating down on it. I will drill vent holes to air can pass through as the bike moves.

I really wish Escapade would make a LARGER pod trailer of the same design, perhaps three feet longer, and six to eight inches taller.

Joe

kentuckyrider 06-02-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5844769)
my Jerry can holds 2 gallons, and rides in the right side Saddle bag, to the rear, out of sight.

it fits snugly, and I have never, ever, smelled any fumes when the saddle bag door is opened. that is where I store my Frogg Toggs and bike covers, makes for nice fluffy stuffing to hold that can tight.

The 2018 has smaller saddle bags. A 2-gallon gas can will not fit into it at all. I could take a five gallon can inside of the trailer, but we get back to storage space, and I am not excited about gasoline inside of a pod with food, clothing, tools, etc.. I tend to pack heavy, and be prepared for anything that may happen.

Quote:

it has been there for 3 years now, never been opened, and no fumes.
I left two inches of room at the top for expansion in warm weather.
If the gasoline in your can is THREE YEARS OLD, it is time to run it through your lawnmower and put some fresh gas into that can!

Quote:

for you? I would recommend two 2 gallon cans.
two riders who went to Alaska have reported on here, that 2 gallons is not enough, they ran out before the next fuel stop. which involved someone else going after fuel.
I HAVE noticed that my 2018 does not get the range that I got with my 2012. Especially while pulling this trailer, I am expecting a tank range of only 120 - 140 miles at most. I have not done any distances while riding in the "ECONOMY MODE" to check for increased MPG.

A larger (wider and deeper and taller ?) cooler on the tongue would allow me to fit two 2-gallon cans inside. I just didn't want the cooler to be wider than the trailer pod.

IDEALLY, in a perfect world, I would design a fiberglass tongue pod that follows the original body lines of the nose of the Escapade, and it would nest perfectly in front of the original pod, and be painted to match! For the light weight but bulky items (rain suit, motorcycle cover, etc.) I am working on a rooftop container that will separate those items from the things I would access on a more regular basis. It will require stronger gas lifts for the lid as well.

Joe