73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
that trailer for me would never do the job, as I carry a lot of extra stuff, laptops, tools, spare parts ( that never get used )
fireshine likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Ernest,
is this suitable for your Avatar?

if so, I can do that for you, you can change it any time you like, every other day if you find something you like better.
John - here's the picture. That's one big beaver in the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beaverlodge 2.jpg (102.4 KB, 18 views)

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
Looks very cool. But half the weight will rest on the hitch.
Long time ago I was to buy a trailer . But i realized I dont really need one.
Another thing I learned is"never say never" as things and situations are continually changing
I am finding that the front to back loading is not as critical as the side to side. You can tell when the load has shifted to one side or the other. It's a learning experience having this on behind the bike. Cheers

Ernest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Day 3 - June 26 - has come and gone. Into Dawson Creek for a few days to visit the town and enjoy the sites. Day dawned well and no rain in sight. However, this was to be proven wrong.

The road from Hinton to Grande Cache was not bad, but as we got closer to Grande Cache the road improved. There are no amenities en route - 145 Kms - on highway 40, from Hinton to Grande Cache but the scenery is spectacular.

Grande Cache is a small town and when you enter Grande Cache on the highway there is an ESSO and FasGas, A&W, and some other restaurants. Do not miss this gas stop, because once you leave Grande Cache for Grande Prairie, it's 184 Kms with no gas or other amenities. The highway is very good as is the scenery. Unfortunately we hit rain for the rest of the ride into Grande Prairie with construction as well. Bike got very dirty this time.

Gas prices were quite good. $1.24/litre in Grande Cache, $1.14/litre in Grand Prairie.

Took time out in Grande Prairie to have a bite to eat at Tim's and clean the windscreen.

Road to Dawson Creek was good, scenery was nice. Stopped at Beaverlodge for a picture with the biggest beaver I've ever seen.

Stopped for a pic at the BC border. Hit rain on/off for the rest of the ride into Dawson Creek, good news, road is in good condition. Got into Dawson Creek about 1600.

Bike was very dirty so off to the car wash for a quick clean.

Going to be in Dawson Creek for a couple of days to sample the sites and stretch the pins. Bike has been working well, and the new trailer is towing well. Learning how to load it, have been experimenting as we go. A small change here and there.

Thanks for reading. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hinton 1.jpg (146.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Grande Cache 1.jpg (111.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Grande Cache 3.jpg (146.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Beaverlodge 3.jpg (99.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Beaverlodge 2.jpg (102.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Back Into BC.jpg (102.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Coming into Dawson Creek 3.jpg (102.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Coming into Dawson Creek 2.jpg (73.5 KB, 14 views)

Ernest
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:25 AM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
wish we were there.

life is good.
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:36 AM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 1800 nav/xm
Garage
safe travels enjoy the pics and the report, 1 year from today i'll be heading to Alaska cant wait, been a lot of planning, enjoy and stay safe!

sanity,
2012- 1800 white the fastest color, why else would they call it white lightning?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 xl1800 timeout cargo trailer

2014 roll a home wide

2017 africa twin
post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:48 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Goldwing
Model: 2008 88,000 Miles
Nice journey, remember, arrive alive.
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Fireshine - you are going to enjoy your trip. Lots of road time and no reason to stop. So far, lots of gas and places to stay. Roads up to Dawson Creek the way you are coming will be good.

Short update for Day four - 27 June. Staying at the George Dawson Inn just as you ride into town from the south. Reasonable rates, and lots of amenities. Car wash to clean your bike 2 doors down, pay by the minute. Tim's, McDs, Canadian Tire, Walmart and other restaurants very close. Downtown only 1.3 Km.

You get a breakfast and dinner chit with your room. The dinner chit is for a get one drink - second free, or $5.00 off your meal. Went in last night, Sonya had two Caesars, and I had the $5.00 off. We had soup and sandwich, and got to choose whatever sandwich was on the menu. My sandwich was a Reuban - made with roast beef - don't ask, Soya's was a Monte Cristo with cheddar cheese instead of mozza - don't ask. Both were pretty good, but the bill wsas outstanding. Sonya's drinks were free because we were staying at the inn, and I got $5.00 off the soup/sandwich price of $9.00. With tip - 20% - under $20.00 CDN.

Will be doing the breakfast this morning.

Two older gents came in last night so I took the opportunity to have a chat. They are on their way home to Wyoming and Utah after being on the road for some four weeks. Asked about the top of the world highway, specifically the section between Jack Wade and Chicken. They've been up here several times and have never rode this section as it is gravel, and apparently quite nasty. The border guards do not recommend touring bikes take this section on. Apparently a fellow on a GW last year tried, but had a fatal accident. Until it gets paved, won't be doing this section. Intend to ride a portion of the road to say BTDT.

Overcast day today. Hopefully no rain. Doing a walk about of Dawson Creek.

Forgot to mention that your biggest concern will be the drivers. On day 2 heading to Jasper and following a newly licensed driver (we have those stickers on the cars denoting this) crested a hill - two lane road - and saw a semi in our lane, passing on the uphill and not a lot of places to go. Quite interesting. Glad I was behind a slower driver, more time to react.

Cheers
fireshine likes this.

Ernest
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the avatar John.

Ernest
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Day 4 - June 27 - started off good as I mentioned in my other post. Sonya was mentioning that when she was booking our hotel, that closer to Mile "0", the more expensive the hotels. It's only about 1.3 Km to the Mile "0" and prices were about $60.00 more. Just a thought for those of you travelling.

Some of the pics are not so good, but photo work is not my forte so to speak, but trying.

Mile Zero: attachments Alaska Highway Start 1, Mile 0 - 4. Tried a selfie, attachment Mile 0 - 8.

The local museum, attachment Museum 2 and some old equip out front, attachment Old Equip.

We spent the day walking and seeing the historic sites. It has a rich past. Worker's memorial, attachment Workers Monument. There is a good local museum and exhibit about the making of the highway. If you are going to spend extra time in Dawson Creek, only need one day to see everything. One good place to go to is Stuie's Diner - good coconut cream pie.

Lots of murals to be seen as well, attachments Mural 2, Mural 3, Mural 6, Mural 1.

Now the bad news - rain and then more rain - got soaked, and getting tired of it. End of rant.

Thanks for reading/looking. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alaska Highway Start 1.jpg (28.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mile 0 - 4.jpg (30.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mile 0 - 8.jpg (31.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Museum 2.jpg (34.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Old Equip.jpg (36.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Workers Monument.jpg (32.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mural 2.jpg (35.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mural 3.jpg (36.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mural 6.jpg (33.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Mural 1.jpg (28.5 KB, 14 views)
AZgl1800 and fireshine like this.

Ernest

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page