Yukon-Alaska 2019 - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Day 10 - July 3 - Part 2

Next stop was Johnson's Crossing, named after one of the military Commanders from the highway build, attachments Johnson Crossing 1, Johnson Crossing 2, and Johnson Crossing 3.

Apparently this stop has the best cinnamon buns in the area, not hard to do when you are the only game in town.

Rest of the trip into Whitehorse was uneventful, no sign of the wildlife that is supposed to be there. Road was good and weather pleasant.

Whitehorse is a nice little town, attachments Whitehorse 1, Road into Whitehorse, and Whitehorse 2.

Another little tidbit before signing off for today. Met a fellow from Ontario riding an F6B. He was having an extended stay in Watson Lake because his rear tire was threadbare. He was having a tire sent in from Whitehorse, but the tire fellow he found in Watson Lake went on holidays. He mentioned that he was going to try and do it himself, had been on the internet to find out how to remove the tire and such. He mentioned that he was going to remove the tire by laying his bike on the side. Was hoping to see him this morning, but that did not happen, would like to have talked to him about this issue. Moral of this story, if you are heading North to Alaska, start with new tires and consider a change in your furthest destination. I have read where people have contacted shops in the north and arranged for tire changes. barring this for you touring bike riders, go to the dark side. Tires are about the only concern I have, but mine were new before I left.

I mentioned in yesterday's post that the clutch MC had acted up. Fluid top up and all has been well today. Still monitoring.

Thanks for reading. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnson Crossing 3.jpg (24.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson Crossing 2.jpg (34.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson Crossing 1.jpg (33.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Whitehorse 1.jpg (37.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Road into Whitehorse.jpg (25.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Whitehorse 2.jpg (34.1 KB, 7 views)

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:16 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Really enjoying your posts, and with the well documented pictures, it is a treat.
Feel like we are with you.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:18 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post

Coming into Teslin there is a very long grated bridge, hate grated bridges, attachment Teslin 1.
I learned to let the bike do its thing. It will self correct in a short period of time. So just relax.

Great pics!
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:49 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
I've been following your trip somewhat on Google Earth, Dropping in to street view and looking around in the towns. Surprising the coverage where street imagery is available. Seems they've shot the entire length of most every highway and got the streets of even the smallest towns. Looks like HWY 1 has coverage end-to-end.

When I dropped into Watson just by chance I landed right in front of the Sign Forest. That place is huge, your photo doesn't do it justice, neither does this wide shot from Google Earth street view! (photo from 2009)

Safe Travels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (80.5 KB, 34 views)

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #45 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:43 AM

I've been riding along with you following your nicely narrated and picture documented trip. since I cant ride with a broken leg it's great to see a good road trip. Hopefully I'll be riding myself soon. Really enjoy the ride along with you for now.

Dave
Ride Safe and Ride Often, Keep the Shiny Side up and Many Happy Miles and Smiles.

In God We Trust; All Others Must pay Cash!!!

Current Goldwing 2016 Gl1800 Matte Silver

Other Rides

2007 Honda 110cc

Past Rides

2 1985 Goldwing Aspencades, 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 2006 Goldwing Navi, 2007 Honda Rebel, 1994 1500cc Goldwing Interstate, 2010 Gl1800 Trike, 1997 GL1500 SE, 2012 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
post #46 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Day 11 - July 4 - Whitehorse. Where to start. I can understand why a travel thread may, or may not get completed. Takes a lot of thought and for us non-journalistic types, even more.

Started the day off with coffee and a muffin at the local McD's, then a stroll down by the Yukon River to the other side of town. Whitehorse is not that big and you can walk from one end to the other. There are some nice parks with interesting sculptures, attachments Park 1, Park 3.

There is a trolley that operates at the height of the tourist season, attachment Trolley 1
We took some pics of the mighty Yukon River, once the lifeline between Whitehorse and Dawson City, attachments Yukon River 4, Yukon River 2, Yukon River 3.

We walked over the the SS Klondike exhibit, attachment SS Klondike 1.

There were several of these boats on the river and during a 5 month season made approximately 5 round trips from Whitehorse to Dawson City, attachments SS Klondike 2, Engine Room Machinery, SS Klondike Upper Deck.

Part 2 next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Park 1.jpg (27.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Park 3.jpg (22.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Trolley 1.jpg (27.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Yukon River 4.jpg (34.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Yukon River 2.jpg (28.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Yukon River 3.jpg (22.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SS Klondike 1.jpg (22.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SS Klondike 2.jpg (30.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Room Machinery.jpg (36.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SS Klondike Upper Deck.jpg (30.2 KB, 10 views)

Ernest
post #47 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Day 11 - July 4 - Part 2

We left the SS Klondike and headed for some lunch at the Klondike Rib and Salmon Restaurant. This restaurant was featured in the Canadian food show called "You Gotta Eat Here", similar to the US "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives", attachment Klondike Rib and Salmon. Good food, friendly staff, and prices commensurate with the north.

Left here and went to the local museum. Got some pics of local town murals, attachment Whitehorse Mural 1.

The museum was well laid out and informative. Had a lot of murals as well, attachments Museum Murals 4, Museum Murals 1.

There was Sam McGee's cabin, the original, and the story of his life, attachment Sam McGee Cabin 1.

Robert Service penned the poem about the Cremation of Sam McGee, attachment Robert Service.

The reality is the myth caught on, and Sam McGee who loved the north, but moved south, came back once and a street person wanted to sell him an urn with the ashes of Sam McGee in it. He apparently laughed and carried on, not wanting to burst the fellows bubble. Here are a couple of more pics of the Sam McGee exhibit, attachments Sam McGee Cabin 2, Sam McGee Cabin 3, Sam McGee Cabin 6.

The rest of the day has been laundry and for me, reflection on the trip so far. Reality and the romance of a place is totally different, but a person must travel and see these places. For us Canadians, we have a beautiful and great country, and lots to see. It's nice when I get back home and hear people talk about places, and I've been there. Know people who have never ventured too far from where they live, but will travel to Europe and down south. So much to see, and so little time.

I have been thinking about lesson's learned from the trip so far. Not too much to date except that a good tool kit is required, not a large one, but one that is strategic to what you may need to do. Had to buy a small socket set, a hex key set, but it could have been worse. If you have maintenance to do that you may think can wait until you return home, do it before you leave, not a lot of help up here and towns that can provide service are a ways apart. New tires before you leave and a possible replacement half way depending on your destination and mileage/kilometers to be traveled. There's more I'm sure and the list will probably get longer.

Been a relaxing day, we are off to Dawson City tomorrow. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Klondike Rib and Salmon.jpg (38.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Whitehorse Mural 1.jpg (34.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Museum Murals 4.jpg (38.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Museum Murals 1.jpg (34.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sam McGee Cabin 1.jpg (37.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Robert Service.jpg (32.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Sam McGee Cabin 2.jpg (29.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sam McGee Cabin 3.jpg (32.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Sam McGee Cabin 6.jpg (34.9 KB, 10 views)

Ernest
post #48 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:51 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Hey hey, dont quit on us. I have nothing to go with my coffee in the AM. Thanks for the report and pics

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #49 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 AM

Year: 2010
Make: HONDA
Model: GL1800 VIIA
Garage
I'm really enjoying your trip report! Please keep it coming!
post #50 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I'm following you every inch of the way as well as Bob Joynt on his 4 corners USA tour

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...sLqkertC0XmQVc

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page