Yukon-Alaska 2019 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Yukon-Alaska 2019

Day 1 started out well. Last minute packing and changing the placement of a few items. Headed out and caught the 0700 ferry to the mainland. Lovely breakfast buffet on these BC ferries. Would have taken the 0600 ferry, but no buffet, life's too short to not start off on a good note. Met up with a couple of friends who are off to Alberta to do some varmint shooting for some farmers. They travel a bit faster so were about an hour in front of us.

Not into the photo mode yet, but will get into the swing of things.

My friends followed me for a bit when we left the ferry, very complimentary of how the trailer was tracking behind the bike. Had a look at the tire track when the road was wet and only one track behind the bike.

First stop off the ferry was at Tims in Hope before the trek on the Coquihalla, quickest way to Kamloops. Stopped for fuel in Merritt. Cheapest gas so far at $1.179/litre, much better than the $1.379/litre in Victoria, Hope was $1.259/litre. During the gas stop in Merritt was told of an accident on the Coq about half way to Kamloops. Apparently there was a weather front that came through, dropped hail/snow and a ton of water, and three/four cars went for a **** in a hand basket. Upended, overturned, hydroplaned, whatever. My friends saw the incident and phoned to warn us. We were about an hour back, stopped for 40 minutes in the rain. Saw one of the cars on a flatbed, demolished. Haven't heard of any injuries or such. I was driving quite gingerly during this rain.

Made it into Kamloops for a rest stop. Weather cleared up a bit, made for a nice ride into Clearwater where we have stayed the night. Nice little hamlet, quite civilized, has a Tim Horton's, A&W, and a Dairy Queen, couple of pubs.

Had all the weather of the four seasons. Low temp of 6 deg C, high of 20 deg C, dry and wet with a sprinkling of hail and snow. Not bad for one day. Roads are in good condition. The ruts that trucks make in the road move the bike a bit. With Sonya on and towing the trailer, 100 Kms/hr is a nice speed. Also getting good fuel economy that is surprising me, 17/18 Kms/litre (you can do the conversion - 3.78 litres per USG or 4.5 for imperial gallon), it's quite good.

Today we're heading to Hinton, Alberta. Good day shaping up. Will be cool this morning.

Here are a couple of pics, will get Sonya in there as well. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (86.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (115.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 3.jpg (112.9 KB, 24 views)

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Give us a nice picture of you, Sonya and the trailer, and I will make that your Avatar.

okay?

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What is the Forum Index?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download it here:

post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Bon Voyage. Wish you a safe trip with good weather. Post as many pics as you can.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Day 2 dawned with great promise. Started the day off well with a coffee at Tim's and browsing the forums. Had breakfast at the Old Caboose Pub, not expensive, but it's hard to find a cheap breakfast for under $10.00.

On the road by about 0900, and had a lovely start to the ride. Water in the rivers is a brilliant light emerald green, extremely cold, but captivating.

Riding with no rain is a treat, but didn't last long. After about 150 Kms, more wet, suited up in Valemount. Did another 150 Kms into Jasper for a quick bite to eat. Rain abated after Jasper, and the ride into Hinton, Alberta was much more pleasant.

Gas was reasonable by Victoria standards. $1.349 in Clearwater and $1.209 in Jasper. Roads are extremely good with some construction going on. The scenery was spectacular when it wasn't raining. I am not a good stop and do photos when it is raining. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. We're off to Dawson Creek for a three day walk about, apparently lots to do and see.

Have to say that riding in the rain for long distances is fatiguing and tiresome. Would rather be doing an iron butt ride in good weather.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clearwater Morning.jpg (86.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Mad River.jpg (149.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Valemount.jpg (95.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Terrible Picture.jpg (137.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg End of Day 2.jpg (153.1 KB, 18 views)
dwade likes this.

Ernest
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:34 AM

Unusual rig you have. How many wheels does it have?
Its amazing to see snow in late June.
Its quite hot around here with temps mid 90 F but Id rather have that then bellow 50F

Follow me on the spot

post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:08 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
Ernest, I totally agree on the Iron-Butt vs Rain...

Wacky weather this year! Don't know what altitude the snow photo was, but last week the Colorado mountains got another half-foot of the stuff, Arapahoe Basin Ski resort is still open this weekend, and last I heard they expect to be open for skiing the July 4th weekend, too.

But the cool weather is coming to an end, Denver is expecting to see its first days in the 90's starting today (extremely late) and this will likely put an end to the ski season after the 4th.

Ride safe, and keep the photos coming!

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Ernest,
is this suitable for your Avatar?

if so, I can do that for you, you can change it any time you like, every other day if you find something you like better.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
Unusual rig you have. How many wheels does it have?
Its amazing to see snow in late June.
Its quite hot around here with temps mid 90 F but Id rather have that then bellow 50F
Always told myself I'd never tow a trailer, but times change as do requirements. Had a two wheel trailer but sold it, didn't like the swivel hitch concept. This is a uni wheel, wheel at the rear - 16 inch bike tire, front wheel off a Buell and it tracks the same as the bike. Bike leans it leans to match. The hitch is articulated for low speed turning. Tucks in nicely behind. The width is a plus as you don't have to worry about where it will go, fits where the bike goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer 4.jpg (91.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer 5.jpg (116.3 KB, 15 views)
dwade likes this.

Ernest
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Ernest,
is this suitable for your Avatar?

if so, I can do that for you, you can change it any time you like, every other day if you find something you like better.
We're going to get a good pic for you. Thanks
AZgl1800 likes this.

Ernest
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 PM

Looks very cool. But half the weight will rest on the hitch.
Long time ago I was to buy a trailer . But i realized I dont really need one.
Another thing I learned is"never say never" as things and situations are continually changing

Follow me on the spot

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page