Modulated Headlights - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 AM

Year: 94
Model: GL1500SE
Quite a few years ago when I was commuting back-and-forth from Queens to Connecticut, going over the Throgs neck bridge when they had tollbooth’s I was stopped by a highway po and he asked me why I was flashing my lights at him, I proceeded to tell him I was not flashing my lights at him I have a headlight modulator. He said well that’s illegal I said no it’s not it’s a federal law that states I am allowed to have a headlight modulator on my bike. I proceeded to show him the The law that states it is legal and he really didn’t want to hear it. So I asked to see his CO when the CO arrived he looked at the statute and said I can go . I always carry a copy of the statute in my bike . Federal law trumps local and state laws. I was ready to go to court and to school the highway PO !
AZgl1800, dingdong and captdecker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Year: 94
I know we’re not talking about the legality of the subject ! If I can be seen better I am going to use whatever I can within my legal rights . Now I know you’ll say well cars don’t see cars and they get into accidents and then you’ll say well cars don’t see motorcycles , my point is if you have it use it if not that’s your prerogative so be it .
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:46 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Arizona
Model: Had a 1994 GL1500 with 204,000 miles. Sold when I lost my job. Now that I am employed again, looking
Send a message via AIM to skyrider78 Send a message via MSN to skyrider78 Send a message via Yahoo to skyrider78
I have used them to great advantage. I will never ride with out them. To the gentleman who stated that he didn't like them and he never had trouble seeing bikes please remember your a rider and that's why you see bikes. The people who don't ride don't look.
AZgl1800, dingdong and DaveO430 like this.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 PM

If they prevent one accident are they not worth it? If you do not like looking at them. Don't!

Old, but old is better than the alternative
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Nodnocdar

Year: 1992
Make: HONDA
Model: gl1500A/SE
Send a message via AIM to dnagardner
I bought my first modulator in 1985 after a women crossed the double line and hit me head on. The modulators are the first item I install on a new bike and I've had 4 since the accident. The last bike I bought was a Wing and it took a few weeks to find a matching modulator. During the weeks before the modulator I had numerous occasions where drivers pulled out in front of me and I could see that they were looking both ways. After the modulator there was an obvious change because I could see the driver look and then stare, probably because of the flashing. Maybe those drivers were anti modulator but it resulted in them stopping and staring instead of pulling out. I can understand that the oscillation of light intensity could be annoying and I regret that. However, I hope you can tolerate my need to be seen and be recognized as a vehicle, hopefully avoiding another accident.
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Having ran the modulators on 2 1800s, I do know they work. I have the ability to run with them off or on, and there have been times when running with them off, that cages just seem to ignore you and cross into your lane or cut you off. Not so with the modulator on, though. They see you. Now, if riding in a group, as DaveO430 and others that have ridden with me knows, I usually remember to turn them off to keep from annoying the other riders in front of me. It has never bothered me to see a bike with a modulator, but then again I know the difference between a modulating headlight and a alternating headlight on a emergency vehicle. Now, if I could only get the deer to move to the side of the road when they see me coming.
Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Year: 1994
Make: Honda
Garage
This debate is kind of funny: modulators are designed to make the bike more noticeable, and then some people complain because bikes with modulators are annoyingly noticeable...

Alan Hepburn
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar
San Jose, Ca
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
This debate is kind of funny: modulators are designed to make the bike more noticeable, and then some people complain because bikes with modulators are annoyingly noticeable...
you took the words out of my mouth.
Doug B. likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
If they prevent one accident are they not worth it?
And if they lead to one accident?

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:55 AM

Model: 2000 Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
And if they lead to one accident?

In the history of emergency vehicles using flashing headlights, How many accidents involving emergency vehicles have been directly caused by those headlights?

Carl

Honorary Rhino

NASSIR 6 - NASSIR 7
NASR 10 - NASR 11
NASR 12 Host in Galena

old bikes:
71FX Super Glide
86 Aspencade

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in