LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhunter View Post
In the history of emergency vehicles using flashing headlights, How many accidents involving emergency vehicles have been directly caused by those headlights?
MCs are generally NOT EMVs.

The lights of EMVs are used to demand attention. In my experience of some years use, they alerted people to a fast approaching vehicle, as did the siren and the lights on top or in grille but not always with good results. . Sure, they were usually successful in drawing attention away from normal traffic. There is only so much attention out there to grab, the more demanded by one takes from another, just like squeaky wheels.
In those cases where the demand for attention exceeded the available supply, when something maybe did happen that was not so good, I found that it was the refusal of the dummy to pay adequate attention to driving as a whole that was to blame. Attention is not in limitless supply.

I don't mind flashing headlights on EMVs when operating in emergency response, but I remain of the opinion that modulating headlights have no place on regular traffic.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Model: 2000 Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
MCs are generally NOT EMVs.
----
I don't mind flashing headlights on EMVs when operating in emergency response, but I remain of the opinion that modulating headlights have no place on regular traffic.

I'm not unfamiliar to EMV as I was a Volunteer Fireman a few decades ago. IIRC, in the early to mid 60's, DOT mandated that motorcycles must have their headlights on while in operation to make themselves seen in traffic. With most all car now having daytime running lights, that advantage is lost. Just last Friday, a local motorcyclist was killed when a oncoming car turned left in front of him. I bet you dollars to donuts he didn't have a modulating headlight. DOT says I can use them, If you don't like it, you need to lead a national movement to ban them.

Carl

Honorary Rhino

NASSIR 6 - NASSIR 7
NASR 10 - NASR 11
NASR 12 Host in Galena

old bikes:
71FX Super Glide
86 Aspencade
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
"Emergency vehicles being operated on highways have lights and sirene to enable their operator to redirect attention momentarily, to "distract" others from other mundane tasks. If every class of vehicle is to be allowed to steadily distract at driver's will in whatever fashion desired for their own purpose, reasonable or not, soon there would be no reason to equip emergency vehicles thusly.

A huge concession was made when headlight modulators were first approved, but the approval process included concessions the cyclist agree to, like using approved modulators (no alternating or flashing, certain frequency of modulations, etc). While a legal modulator is legal, I find it is still distracting in my mirror.

Like lane splitting though legal in many places it has it's own set of dangers."

Am I to understand it is OK for an EMV to distract my attention causing me to look away from the task at hand, possibly putting me and others at risk .
Though legal, I should not use a modulator to get other drivers attention , to make them aware of my presence?

What about the tow truck running amber lights for miles at a time . What danger is it making me aware of?
In my area school busses run super brightwhite stobe lights . Buss empty or full. Why ?
Workers of all types wear orange or green vest . The object is to be seen .A modulator serves the same purpose.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
we lost a local rider to a head on collision.
don't remember the facts now, it was some time last week.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhunter View Post
DOT says I can use them, If you don't like it, you need to lead a national movement to ban them.
So is that my only choice I need to lead a national movement to ban something I just personally don't like?

I adjusted to them long ago. I don't have to like them too do I?

I have read these and other accounts of these MC head-on wrecks, I figure some of them had at least a headlight on, and some even had maybe a modulator . but with so many in use (I see them often) I think it just possible that other drivers / riders have become so accustomed to them as to no longer take note.

I don't like lima beans either, but I will still sit down and eat supper with my family and they can have all they want, Ill even pick up the tab.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaWingAndaPrayer View Post

"Am I to understand it is OK for an EMV to distract my attention causing me to look away from the task at hand, possibly putting me and others at risk . Well, that is the purpose of the equipment, to draw your attention. We all know that operating a motor vehicle on a highway is a risk in itself.
Though legal, I should not use a modulator to get other drivers attention , to make them aware of my presence? I never said you should or shouldn't use all legal means to get their attention. If you want to use them, then do so.

What about the tow truck running amber lights for miles at a time . What danger is it making me aware of? He or she is required by law to have warning lights in operation when towing. That vehicle being towed, may not have working lights and it could become a free roller any bump? But you knew that.
In my area school busses run super brightwhite stobe lights . Buss empty or full. Why ? We agree on this one, ie "Why?" when unloaded but my guess is "just a rule" to ensure they aren't "not on" during a run?
Workers of all types wear orange or green vest . The object is to be seen .A modulator serves the same purpose. " I see MCs with just a headlight easy enough, and I see workers wearing vests, even while driving / sitting in the drive through window line. I saw them before the orange & green vests became the "fashion rage" too.
The opening post to which I replied way back on page 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPsycho View Post
So, Im finally going to ask.

Am I the only motorcyclist who gets annoyed by motorcycles with modulated headlights?

My personal opinion is that they should be restricted to ambulances, police and emergency vehicles.

Im curious to find out if Im the only one who feels this way.
I'll only add that if the DOT & various legislative bodies abolish the legality of headlight modulators on MCs, I'll not cry over it.
If they instead all make it legal to equip any motor vehicles with modulators, I guess I'm gonna be buying modulators.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:08 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
CrystalPistal, A good friend of mine was killed by another motorcyclists in a head on collision. Both on motorcycles. My friend had a modulator (in use) on his bike.

The modulator did not save my friends life.........!!

Would this be proof they don't always prevent accidents.....??

Reference post # 3..........!!
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
CrystalPistal, A good friend of mine was killed by another motorcyclists in a head on collision. Both on motorcycles. My friend had a modulator (in use) on his bike.

I am very sorry to hear about your friend.
I have worked a few Head-Ons with MC to MC, and cages to MC, & seen deceased and lost limbs result.
I wish there was a foolproof method to prevent accidents, but short of "not living life", I know of none. I can post examples drawn from my experience, but it always comes back to an inattentive operator.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
And if they lead to one accident?

In your career as a L.E.O., How many accidents have you investigated that the cause was the use of a modulated headlight???????

Carl

Honorary Rhino

NASSIR 6 - NASSIR 7
NASR 10 - NASR 11
NASR 12 Host in Galena

old bikes:
71FX Super Glide
86 Aspencade
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post

I am truly sorry to hear about your friend. I have lost a couple of friends while riding bikes.
There is no guarantee that anything will ALWAY prevent accidents. There is no guarantee the seat belts will always save your life. If you or anybody else don't want to use a Modulator, then don't. That's good news for me as the fewer Modulators that are out there, the more my bike stands out. Just don't whine & cry or tell me I can't use it.

Carl

Honorary Rhino

NASSIR 6 - NASSIR 7
NASR 10 - NASR 11
NASR 12 Host in Galena

old bikes:
71FX Super Glide
86 Aspencade

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page