Modulated Headlights - Page 6 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:08 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhunter View Post
In your career as a L.E.O., How many accidents have you investigated that the cause was the use of a modulated headlight???????

DBohrer likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 PM

42: Douglas Adams' Amazingly Accurate Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything

Seriously gentlemen (and safety is serious business - life & death). There is qualitative data, there is quantitative research and there are exceptions to every rule. We have all seen zombie cage drivers that don't see a neon yellow fire engine with Wig-Wag headlight flashers, revolving flashing and strobing red, orange and blue lights, air horns, loud straight pipes and switching siren/wail/yelp/phazer audio devices. There's always that one.

As I have said before, I personally have no intention of irritating, aggravating or distracting anyone else for any reason, even my own self defense. But I am a supporter of all motorcyclists having available what ever tools technology provides to defend themselves. Some choose to use some or all of them. Personal choice that I support. I choose gloves with fingers, pants with crotches, jackets with sleeves and headgear of carbon fiber not cotton fiber. But I don't force these decisions on others. If I see another motorcyclist using a modulator, I know why he has it and I applaud his decision for the six seconds it takes for him to go the other way.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:19 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Cote View Post
42: Douglas Adams' Amazingly Accurate Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything

Seriously gentlemen (and safety is serious business - life & death). There is qualitative data, there is quantitative research and there are exceptions to every rule. We have all seen zombie cage drivers that don't see a neon yellow fire engine with Wig-Wag headlight flashers, revolving flashing and strobing red, orange and blue lights, air horns, loud straight pipes and switching siren/wail/yelp/phazer audio devices. There's always that one.

As I have said before, I personally have no intention of irritating, aggravating or distracting anyone else for any reason, even my own self defense. But I am a supporter of all motorcyclists having available what ever tools technology provides to defend themselves. Some choose to use some or all of them. Personal choice that I support. I choose gloves with fingers, pants with crotches, jackets with sleeves and headgear of carbon fiber not cotton fiber. But I don't force these decisions on others. If I see another motorcyclist using a modulator, I know why he has it and I applaud his decision for the six seconds it takes for him to go the other way.
"and headgear of carbon fiber not cotton fiber."
- I think you are right. Good humor, I had almost lost my morning coffee.

The winner is the man with most tools !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:45 PM
Nodnocdar

Year: 1992
Make: HONDA
Model: gl1500A/SE
Send a message via AIM to dnagardner
I need to add an additional thorn to this issue. After getting my first modulator I found that there was a product to "Wig*Wag" the brake lights. I don't know if it is modulation or flashing but I like it because it provides the driver behind me with an unusual attention getter and that keeps them from tapping my rear fender. This is sort of like a light show, for free. I notice that folks will stop 1-2 car length behind me, sometimes more. Maybe it's only a feel good thing but I like the feeling I get when they stop far back from hitting me. And that happens EVERY time when in city traffic.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnagardner View Post
I need to add an additional thorn to this issue. After getting my first modulator I found that there was a product to "Wig*Wag" the brake lights. I don't know if it is modulation or flashing but I like it because it provides the driver behind me with an unusual attention getter and that keeps them from tapping my rear fender. This is sort of like a light show, for free. I notice that folks will stop 1-2 car length behind me, sometimes more. Maybe it's only a feel good thing but I like the feeling I get when they stop far back from hitting me. And that happens EVERY time when in city traffic.

You're talking about a "Back Off" device that flashes some lamp or lamps upon application of brakes either automatically or manually. Not all brake lamps can be hooked up so, not legally. People are acclimated to seeing brake lamps come on and stay on when brakes are applied. With a GoldWing, you keep the lower steady burning brake lamps, it's the trunk brake lamps that are flashed and since they flash, they no longer meet the definition of brake lamps, they become signal lamps signaling stop. I use a "Back Off" on my trike, it does not follow people in their mirrors. My lower fender brake lamps are steady burning in nature as long as my brakes are applied, the trunk signaling lamps flash a series, then stay solid lit as well.

Different than headlight modulators.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
My '94SE had the WigWag for the brakes.

that has been so long ago, I no longer remember if it had a positive effect for me in Phoenix, AZ traffic.

~ John

post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Year: 1994
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
"Wig wag" lights are illegal unless you are a police or emergency vehicle. The "Back Off" products available for the brake lights flash the brake lights, but are not "wig wag" lights. By definition a "wig wag" system will flash a set of lights in a "left-right-left-right" fashion. Back Off modules simply flash the light or lights they are connected to in a simultaneous "on-off-on-off" fashion.

Alan Hepburn
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar
San Jose, Ca
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
"Wig wag" lights are illegal unless you are a police or emergency vehicle. The "Back Off" products available for the brake lights flash the brake lights, but are not "wig wag" lights. By definition a "wig wag" system will flash a set of lights in a "left-right-left-right" fashion. Back Off modules simply flash the light or lights they are connected to in a simultaneous "on-off-on-off" fashion.
Hmmmm,
I know of one rider who has his set to Wig Wag / left / right

~ John

post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:09 AM

Brake lights are a different kettle of fish than headlight modulators (probably should be a separate thread).

First, there is no standard for state statutes and they do vary widely. Flashing, modulating, strobe, all may have different meanings in those statutes. Many states talk about accessory lights vs. stock lights and most states will specifically address alternating between the stock brake lights and the white backup lights. Research your state and anywhere you may be riding to know the facts before making a decision.

Conversely, the MSF recommends that you pump your brakes for the sole purpose of flashing your stock lights. They also recommend that even after you stop, keep pumping until the cage behind you comes to a complete stop.

There are numerous options available. Generally they are actual flashers and not modulators (off/on as opposed to bright/dim). Some give the option to flash continuously or flash a number of times then go steady.

There are single wire units that you splice into the factory brake light wire. Existing brake light(s) flashes or flashes then steady.

For bikes with two or four brake lights, while more work, you can buy a unit that will toggle left to right and back. Sometimes called Wig-Wag style. If you have four brake lights you could also split and toggle one pair while leaving the other pair stock.

If you have added brake lights such as one in the spoiler, you can also insert the flasher unit into only those lights and leave the stock lights stock.

There are also motorcycle specific added lights that flash. SoCalMotoGear makes a replacement assembly for the Honda spoiler that has a built in flasher for the brake light. Hyperlites makes universal kits and a GL1800 specific kit that are available solid only, flash then go solid or even a flashing version that is California statute compliant.

Lastly, many folks have added emergency vehicle strobe lights from Whelan, Sound Off Signal, etc. The Whelan TIR3 is a common one as it directly fits in the location of the GL1800 rear reflector. These lights have multiple flash patterns and some offer the rapid flashes then steady feature. As a general statement, these are the brightest and most attention getting.

I have used many of the options. I have not performed scientific research so all I have is my own qualitative experience on which to offer my opinion.

After a Honda Civic tried to mount my GL1500 I purchased a Sound Off Signal six LED strobe and mounted it high on the backrest. This worked amazingly well. Eye level, very bright, rapid flash all would readily get the attention of tailgaters or routine traffic. I liked it so well I mounted one in a similar manner on my Valkyrie Interstate and my Mini Mate camper trailer. I may yet mount one on my GL1800 and/or new cargo trailer. I would recommend for anyone or any bike.

I have used the Hyperlites on two cruiser style bikes and my current cargo trailer. The small modules mount cleanly under the cross bar on the rear sissy bar luggage rack. They did not have a taillight function so when they came on it was like a car third high brake light and worked very well on these bikes, even with the small rear profile. Several positive comments from cage operators. No negatives specifically to the lights just one Prius once that continued to tailgate, even after I waved him around. He probably didn’t have enough horsepower to pass or was afraid the Valkyrie would suck him down the air filter like a bug. On the trailer they are lower but out of the direct sun. The trailer gets so much attention that I can’t clearly attribute all goodness to the Hyperlites alone. Also used their directional lights and they work great as well.

On the GL1800 the SCMG replacement spoiler brake light had not come out yet. I probably would have just gone with that. Instead I have the spoiler with the EC upgrade, the Sentinel lights from Add-On on the speaker boxes and the F6B harness to turn the lower center tail light into a tail and brake light. I installed the Signal Dynamics XP flasher on those lights and left the stock brake lights alone. I certainly notice people “Back Off” when I activate them. So far so good (knock on wood).

When it comes to lighting, I try to maintain the triangular pattern. GL1500 had the rear fender reflector replaced with the brake/tail light. Addition of the light on the backrest gave a triangle (four 1157 across the fender/bags, two in the trunk and the strobe on top. The Valkyrie Interstate was similar except two 1157 in trunk plus strobe on top. The Mini Mate, again, two steady Superbrite LED brake lights plus the higher strobe. The cruisers had an inverted triangle with stock brake and the two higher Hyperlites. The GL 1800 is also inverted with Sentinel and spoiler on top, narrower stock lights in trunk and single brake light between the directionals.
dnagardner likes this.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Cote View Post
Brake lights are a different kettle of fish than headlight m … etc …
And besides that, they are often on different ends of the vehicle.
DBohrer and Ken Bergen like this.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page