Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Modulated Headlights (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/668075-modulated-headlights.html)

MotorPsycho 07-11-2019 08:34 AM

Modulated Headlights

So, I知 finally going to ask.

Am I the only motorcyclist who gets annoyed by motorcycles with modulated headlights?

My personal opinion is that they should be restricted to ambulances, police and emergency vehicles.

I知 curious to find out if I知 the only one who feels this way.

DaveO430 07-11-2019 09:43 AM

Doesn't bother me much, I try not to stare at them, at least they are noticeable.

DBohrer 07-11-2019 09:49 AM

Been riding Gold Wing's (different ones) since 1979, more miles than I care to remember, never needed one to keep me safe.

I do ride in a lot of traffic at times (check my location)....!

I find them a bit annoying (even though I don't stare at them).

Pastot 07-11-2019 10:30 AM

Not so much annoyed as frustrated. There is a defined variance between flashing and modulated, legally and visibly. A lot of flashing LED projector lights are available for cheap and there are motorcyclists issuing them, then claiming their joy over cars getting out of there way. I can tell the difference visibly, but you still don't know if you should give a vehicle the lane or hold your ground.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

galaxyhunter 07-11-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorPsycho (Post 5852793)

Am I the only motorcyclist who gets annoyed by motorcycles with modulated headlights?

My personal opinion is that they should be restricted to ambulances, police and emergency vehicles.

As one that will never have a bike without Modulated Headlights, I don't give a Rats Rear End who I might annoy or pi$$ off. My safety is worth way more then your feelings.>:)

CrystalPistol 07-11-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorPsycho (Post 5852793)

No, you aren't the only one. 0:)

I hate them and if it's right near behind me, whether I'm riding or driving, I find them extremely distracting.

I have been on rides where I was leading the group and if someone was close behind with them, I just pulled over into a parking lot, etc and give up the lead (if I needed to give directions to aid them, there was a CB) so I didn't have to put up with it (if I knew the rider, if not, I just slowed some as I figured it was "safer for me" to slow in my distracted state) and let them "be the canary". :wink2:

When I was on the job, I'd even look for whether they were indeed flashing or modulating, and I tended to react accordingly. If modulating, I just grinned and bore it. :|
If flashing, we exchanged signatures at the least. :laugh:

I've never had trouble seeing and noticing bikes with a regular "on all the time" headlight. :smile2:

Bike...and Dennis 07-11-2019 01:54 PM

We don't really see them much around here. They don't really bother me though.

Bright lights are the big problem in this neck of the woods.

dingdong 07-11-2019 02:27 PM

Two thumbs up in favor of modulators.

DBohrer 07-11-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxyhunter (Post 5852823)
As one that will never have a bike without Modulated Headlights, I don't give a Rats Rear End who I might annoy or pi$$ off. My safety is worth way more then your feelings.>:)

And if an irritated 4-wheeler decides to take you on (such things can happen), who wins the battle.....??>:)

DaveO430 07-11-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalPistol (Post 5852827)
[

I have been on rides where I was leading the group and if someone was close behind with them, I just pulled over into a parking lot, etc and give up the lead :

They really should no be used during a group ride.