Motorcycle Camara - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Camara

Hey guys, it's been way too long since I've been in here. Have had problems with my password. So now that I've got that straightened out, I need some help.

I'm looking to purchase a bike cam and I need some advice on which one to buy. Must be less then $200.00. And do me a favor, please don't list a bunch of them and say 'check these out'. I have been checking 'these' out. It's like everything is good until I start reading the reviews. then you get these two or three people that hate it. One of them that I'm looking at is the
Motorcycle Camera,P6F, Waterproof,150°Super Wide-Angle Lens,Front and Rear Camera Both FHD 1080P, WiFi Support,Moto Dual Sport Camera, Sony IMX323 Chip,2.0 Inch Screen by MOTOCAM PRO

I'm looking for someone that actually has a cam and can tell me the pros and cons of that particular model. I've had some good fortune in here with some of you guys actually knowing what your talking about. And I can say, my expertise is not that great. I would like to have the best night vision I can get also. And at least a 128GB SD card.

So thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 AM

Since this post is neither buying nor selling, suggest moderators move to a discussion forum.

I have this motoprocam:
https://motoprocam.com/collections/f...-camera-system

I am not a videophile so my needs are simple. Initially I had issues with duration of the individual files. Couple tries at software changes w/o resolution. New unit with new firmware solved this. I do have the accessory GPS. The lat and long on the recordings seems accurate but the speed display is not reliable (shows I'm moving when clearly stopped - maybe an earthquake?). The downloaded software that shows the video alongside a map plot is useless. If it displays at all, the audio is choppy and unintelligible. I do not use the WiFi. No need to view on the fly.

I needed to use a small card to do software loads (16mB) but once running I have used 64 and 128. I bought a couple cards from them to ensure they were fully compatible though, at their suggestion, I bought a new 16 locally to load software changes. They were very insistent on using new cards formatted in their DVR.

I mounted one camera under the nose and one on the shelf between the trunk and rear fender. Using their mount the front one could hit the fender. I used one of the GoPro arms to move the camera up and forward which gave enough clearance. If I had a trunk rack I would have mounted the rear unit higher to clear the trailer. You need a clear line of sight as the wide angle lens will pick up body work.

I would say this meets the basic need of a dashcam and records evidence in case of collision which is what I wanted. I save some videos and compare against my GoPro. Similar but I'm not ready to start a career making movies using either method.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
What do you want to do with it? I use a couple of GoPro cameras. For the GL I use a helmet mount, the CB I use a chest mount. Among other uses, I like to make ride videos. The challenge is editing. A fairly powerful computer is needed.
lionelgo50 and CrystalPistol like this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:27 AM

I used GoPro for a while and still do from time to time. I liked the idea of automatic on/off and looping. Install and forget, no charging, nothing to deal with.

I had the GoPro in various locations including on top of the helmet. I can feel the extra wind resistance from the helmet mount.

On a positive note, with the GoPro on top of the helmet and the record light blinking, I noticed on a handful of occasions where I stared at a car getting ready to blow a yield sign and they then stopped. Whether the red light actually got their attention or they recognized they were being recorded I don't know. I also don't know they wouldn't have stopped anyway. Just a curiosity item. And yes, this was when I had HID bulbs and no modulator.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:58 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: gl1800p
I own a wasp action cam. Comes with a wrist control, is water resistant without an extra case. I really like the quality of the videos. AND it is much cheaper than a GoPro
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:29 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Garmin offers some really neat small Dashcams.

they include an automatic snapshot in the event of a sudden stop, it captures 1 minute prior to event, and records 1 minute after the event.

that is then stored in a folder titled "Events"

~ John

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:20 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I used to mount a not so expensive digital camera, then I bought a couple of weird looking w-shield cams for like $7 each off ebay, cheap, but a hair better than none, they do have IR and a movement sensor for when the car was parked, etc. …
... & then I bought a Go-Pro, but then other issues cropped up in life and I forgot about them all.
I had the GoPro all figured out, but I'd have to start all over now.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:52 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
I've had 2 dash cams. Both were junk. It took me a while to get through the Chinese-English on how to work them and then they went ****-up. I'd sure like to have a working dash-cam. Those bastards in cars are definitely trying to kill me and if one does, I'd like him to do prison time. A dash-cam would assist in that regard.

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Wheel Witness and the Garmin dashcams work flawlessly.

~ John

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbranth View Post
Those bastards in cars are definitely trying to kill me and if one does, I'd like him to do prison time. A dash-cam would assist in that regard.
What makes you think he would do any time?

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page