Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Decent article on car tires and bikes

pretty much says what we all know here.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...r-motorcycles/

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:39 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I've been looking for this to happen " At some point, one of the tire OEMs is going to "certify" a car tire for bike use, raise the price twenty percent, and clean up. Depend on it."

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 AM

Garage
I just wonder what your insurance company would do if you crashed and they found out you were running a non motorcycle tire on your bike. We all know how they try to get out of paying a claim, I bet they would jump on this excuse not to pay. Then again, it could differ ny what company you have and how good their investigators are.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I just wonder what your insurance company would do if you crashed and they found out you were running a non motorcycle tire on your bike. We all know how they try to get out of paying a claim, I bet they would jump on this excuse not to pay. Then again, it could differ ny what company you have and how good their investigators are.
Joe,
that question has arisen 1,000s of times, and the answer is the same.

They don't care, it has a TIRE mounted on the wheel, and that is all they care about. I have asked 3 agents this question, all gave me the same answer.

Care tires have been on HD motorcycles since the 30s or more. They cannot invalid your claim.

And, no Car tire yet, have ever been posted that it blew up and caused a bike to crash, at least not on this forum, nor on GoldwingDocs, and from what I have read, not on GL1800 Riders either.

only paranoid folks ask this type question, the rest of us just go ride and enjoy 3 to 5 times the mileage, and in the rain double or better traction for 1/3rd the cost or less.

~ John

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
I never ran one and never will so I never had a need to ask my insurance agent about. I'm not paranoid just curious. after watching some youtube video's of a car tire on a wing and seeing the small contact patch when in a corner just scares me,. Didn't I read on a post a couple months back you went back to a M/C tire?

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Model: '98 Valkyrie
Quote:
I never ran one and never will so I never had a need to ask my insurance agent about. I'm not paranoid just curious. after watching some youtube video's of a car tire on a wing and seeing the small contact patch when in a corner just scares me,. Didn't I read on a post a couple months back you went back to a M/C tire?

nice contact patch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qoNDo7o1d6Q
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:51 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
It may look like a small contact patch in a video but it has been proven to be larger and with better rubber than a motorcycle tire. The front tire will loose traction much sooner, trust me.
ValkyrieRider likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Yes,
but you are taking that totally out of context.
You did not read the reason why.
I busted up my right shoulder while on vacation the last week of March 2019.
I have been unable to extend my arm out more than about 15 degrees until just this week 8/10-8/15

I have been in Physical Therapy for over two months now trying to get the use of my right shoulder back. In the little town where I live, the speed limits are 25 mph, and the car tire wants to sit the bike up straight on slow speed turns.

When I was riding with friends on rally trips, and pulling my trailer with me, the Michelin was my friend.... it is awesome in heavy rain, better than any m/c tire I have used.

Due to my medical condition, it is unlikely that I will ever do long trips again on the bike, when the temps get over 85*F my body starts going into heatstroke, and I must find air conditioning, or use my Phase Change ice vest.... which is great..... but I am not comfortable anymore, getting away from home, or reliable air conditioning for more than an hour...

My daughter bought us a Toy Hauler so that we can go to the rallys together, and take our dogs with us, and I can enjoy air conditioning in the Suburban.
I bought a Piaggio MP3 scooter to go in the Toy hauler, the gl1800 weighs too much, and upset the trailer's load balance ratio, so badly that it will dog walk at 40 mph. the scooter is light enough that doesn't happen anymore.

So, riding by myself around here locally, the E4 is more comfortable for my shoulder muscles/tendons.....

~ John

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:24 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
I have yet to see a sidewall marked 'for car/truck use only'.

I admit not looking for it either.

I went through a lot of the 'WTH are you doing???'. I am an EVOC instructor with our department (instructing since 2001) and while the other instructors could not understand it, they finally accepted reality hen I eclipsed 100k on non motorcycle 'specific' tires.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:00 PM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 1800 nav/xm
Garage
there is no where in my manual where it states that a motorcycle tire has to be used it states the brand and size of the tire that came on the bike as long as the tire has a DOT label on the tire its legal i have asked my insurance company about tires on a personal motorized vehicle and after a week that got back to me stating from what they read and understand is that a vehicle has to have a legal dot tire mounted on to the rim that is all they said and asked if that answer my question also ny state inspection on a motorcycle says nothing about the type of tire to be used just the depth of the tread i have been using a c/t for 6 years and never been asked about it further more the first motorized bikes had square edged tires
AZgl1800 and rpeters549 like this.

sanity,
2012- 1800 white the fastest color, why else would they call it white lightning?

2012 xl1800 timeout cargo trailer

2014 roll a home wide

2017 africa twin

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page