Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Decent article on car tires and bikes

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  fireshine 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I just wonder what your insurance company would do if you crashed and they found out you were running a non motorcycle tire on your bike. We all know how they try to get out of paying a claim, I bet they would jump on this excuse not to pay. Then again, it could differ ny what company you have and how good their investigators are.

#4 ·
Joe,
that question has arisen 1,000s of times, and the answer is the same.

They don't care, it has a TIRE mounted on the wheel, and that is all they care about. I have asked 3 agents this question, all gave me the same answer.

Care tires have been on HD motorcycles since the 30s or more. They cannot invalid your claim.

And, no Car tire yet, have ever been posted that it blew up and caused a bike to crash, at least not on this forum, nor on GoldwingDocs, and from what I have read, not on GL1800 Riders either.

only paranoid folks ask this type question, the rest of us just go ride and enjoy 3 to 5 times the mileage, and in the rain double or better traction for 1/3rd the cost or less.

#5 ·
I never ran one and never will so I never had a need to ask my insurance agent about. I'm not paranoid just curious. after watching some youtube video's of a car tire on a wing and seeing the small contact patch when in a corner just scares me,. Didn't I read on a post a couple months back you went back to a M/C tire?

#9 ·
I have yet to see a sidewall marked 'for car/truck use only'.

I admit not looking for it either. :rofl:

I went through a lot of the 'WTH are you doing???'. I am an EVOC instructor with our department (instructing since 2001) and while the other instructors could not understand it, they finally accepted reality hen I eclipsed 100k on non motorcycle 'specific' tires.

#10 ·
there is no where in my manual where it states that a motorcycle tire has to be used it states the brand and size of the tire that came on the bike as long as the tire has a DOT label on the tire its legal i have asked my insurance company about tires on a personal motorized vehicle and after a week that got back to me stating from what they read and understand is that a vehicle has to have a legal dot tire mounted on to the rim that is all they said and asked if that answer my question also ny state inspection on a motorcycle says nothing about the type of tire to be used just the depth of the tread i have been using a c/t for 6 years and never been asked about it further more the first motorized bikes had square edged tires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.