yellowstone day 1

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
day 1 done no road issues little rain sun warm not much else just road miles

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: CrystalPistol
#8 ·
day 2, lots of driving on the interstates, was sunny warm 81 for the high lots and lots of barren corn fields and lots of corn fields scenery got better once on 90 w in south dakota open prairie with rolling hills dont remember all the hay fields the last time i drove through in 2016 was very windy heading on 90 west also spending the night in murdo s.d. had dinner at the drive-in diner , had a grass finished whiteface burger, i grew up raising white face herfords which we grass feed so i had to ask what grass finished was, the lady said they were feed grain and grass then only grass at the later part, so i had to say so there grass and grain feed she just looked at me funny, anyways the burger was good. Today we have a easy 4-5 hr ride, going though the bad lands then into wall, sturgis, taking 34/24 into devils tower ,KOA where we have a cabin for the night almost forgot, we seen lots of bikes heading back east mostly being hauled.

Attachments

#11 ·
day 3 murdo sd . to devils tower. very windy in the am was calling for rain didn't hit any. quick ride on 90 west till the badlands. was a awesome ride through the badlands very little traffic, stopped at wall, walked through town and the shops, heading on 90 west till we hit sturgis, did some window shopping and had lunch at the Iron horse, weather was hot and sunny, after lunch we headed back on 90 w until we turned on 34 then 24 awesome back roads in S.D. and Wy heading to the devils tower. We had a ok dinner at the devils tower gulch. Not sure why my pics didnt transfer to the laptop through cloud i have a couple that have when they do transfer ill post more . also the garmin didnt complete the days log either.

Attachments

#13 ·
Looks like you're already past SD. Hope you did'nt miss Needles Hwy. if you have never been there. Just got back from 5800 mile jaunt in that part of the world. Just had 1 day in Yellowstone. Motels have you held hostage to see our national parks. Could'nt afford to hang around long enough to see it all. Paid $267 for a KOA cabin south of Jackson.

#14 ·
Just returned from yellowstone country Today

Took my old 87 interstate to visit family in Montana. They all still live in and around the yellowstone river area. We all attended schools in Livingston, Montana. Total trip was only 820 miles from my home in SW washington state to there. Considerably shorter then your trip....I hope you are enjoying the trip and meet some great people.

#15 ·
continuing my trip out to yellowstone aug/.sept 2019 sorry for the delay but with no service or any good wifi on the rest of our trip i just took pics and video and stored them on a ext hard drive and i am just know getting some free time to go through them i have lots of pics so i just took a few of each day . this is a update on day 3 Murdo to Devils tower

Attachments

#16 ·
Day 4 Aug 25 2019 Devils tower to Cody Wy, left early weather was clear and chilly we headed out on 24 to 14 to 90 west to Gillette. took 14 in Gillette to Sheridan, awesome 2 lane road very little traffic, after fill up in Sheridan we took 14 up over Big Horn Mts. We stopped at the medicine wheel not knowing the road went up the side of a mountain we still decided to go it was about ! mile off the pavement on some of the worst road i have ever taken my wing on but it was worth it. We then made our way down the Mountain on 14 A to lovell the view was amazing i have most all the trip on video and didn't get any pics on camera i will get them transfer them over later.After a quick stop in Lovell we made our way to Cody,Wy, we stayed 2 nights at the Ponderosa campground. Diner was at Irma's downtown, had all you can eat prime rib the place was build by Buffalo Bill for his daughter. the food was good the place was like walking back in time they had the original bar and dining area where they served diner. We cruzed the town did a little shopping then back to camp for the night.

Attachments

#18 ·
day 5 Aug.26 was at Cody all day, partly cloudy cool morning, I was up at 6ish, took a spin around town found a car wash washed off the first 4 days of road crime, coffee after that. Went back to camp and picked up Mary Ann we headed out for breakfast at Granny's diner. Did a little shopping in town the headed out on 14 west towards the east entrance to Yellowstone. we rode out as far as the smith mansion to get a pick and also of the burger boy in the field.That afternoon we went to the old trail town museum was interesting had a few old buildings as they were in the old time west. We had tickets to the Cody cattle company dinner,show,and rodeo for that night all was good and fun

Attachments

#19 ·
day 6 aug 27 Cody to Canyon village , We headed out of town to chief Joseph highway the weather was clear and very little traffic. we had the entire highway to ourself the ride was awesome and the views great We stopped in the town of Cooke city in Montana , neat little town a few businesses and a couple gas stations gas was 3.90 a gallon we got a bite to eat and then on the bike to yellowstone north east entrance. when we arrived at the gate there was no one in line. After a nice ride we came into Lamar valley we seen some buffalo whiuch was neat but when we were here 2 years ago we seen buffalo so to us you seen one you seen them all but to some its a all day adventure. After a while at the traffic jam of rubber necks we made it to canyon village and our camp ground.We were excited to be camping in yellowstone till we seen the site i was givin. I reserved a 20 ft site for a camper and a vehicle what we got was a place to park a small car on a slant.. the review i gave them was a good as the site i got, otherwise the campgound was ok we had bought hamburgers at cody for dinner and cooked them over the fire it was a great day of riding and sight seeing.

#21 ·
pics from day 6

Attachments

#24 ·
busy busy been away for awhile and the site has changed alot still not figuring it out but o well

Day 7 of our yellowstone trip this past aug 28th

canyon campground to Jackson ,WY cold start for the day 38* went to get gas first thing just outside the campground very convenient i filled my coffee and Mary Ann got a hot chocolate and we headed to Jackson, WY weather was clear sunny and warming up.

Had a little road jam in Hayden valley buffalo and the tourist made it worst the ride from canyon to the entrance of grand Tetons NP was excellent , open range to pine filled forests.

ran into some construction just after entering GTNP 10-15 min. wait but the road was fresh black top the whole way after that , we stopped into Signal Mt. resort did a little shopping and more coffee and hot chocolate.

We then made our way to Signal Mt road to the summit the views were suburb and very little traffic we continued on to the GTNP loop road stopped into Jenny Lake walked and took some pics

awesome lake with suburb back ground made it to Jackson just in time for lunch.
We walked the town and did yes, more shopping never ends with the wife. we filled the bike and took Moose Wilson road back to Moose.

the road turned to dirt just after Teton Village for a couple miles till we hit Moose, followed 191/89 to Moran. wide open ranges filled with elk and buffalo and a obstacle course with the tourists. we stopped into Colter Bay, checked out the general store and drove the road to the lake.

We made our way to Grant Village got a snack and some drinks very quite out that way but was a big store back on the nice road to canyon village

we made a stop into Yellowstone Lake general store walked the store and then sat out by the lake , huge beautiful lake we arrived back at camp early evening had dinner at canyon village pricey but good headed back to site site and had a fire for the evening like to add a video but cant seem to figure it out
Road Lane Asphalt Tree Mode of transport
Road Asphalt Lane Mode of transport Road trip
Motor vehicle Road Vehicle Asphalt Lane
Property Wall Real estate Building Tree
Bovine Bison Highland Road Wildlife
Log cabin Wood Siding House Building
Road Lane Asphalt Tree Mode of transport
Road Asphalt Lane Mode of transport Road trip
Motor vehicle Road Vehicle Asphalt Lane
Property Wall Real estate Building Tree
Bovine Bison Highland Road Wildlife
Log cabin Wood Siding House Building
Mountainous landforms Mountain Natural landscape Mountain range Wilderness
Road Wilderness Vehicle Mountain Mountain range
Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Natural landscape Wilderness
Body of water Mountain Mountainous landforms Nature Lake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.