Camera, mount, monopole recommendations for 2015 GW? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800
Camera, mount, monopole recommendations for 2015 GW?

Any recommendations for a bike mounted camera setup, thinking monopole on back of bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have not tried that, what I have tried is the following.
That should give you a clear view above the helmet and windshield.
Stability? depends on how it is secured.

Mirror mount:
results in too much vibration, and you can't see past the nose of the bike to the other-side.

Windshield mount about 1/3 way up from the bottom ( above the vent ). Too much vibration and camera kept falling off the windshield, power leads were distracting to my eyes.

RAM mount off of the handlebars.
Windshield causes distortion and interferes with the view.
Too much vibration, even worse than the windshield. caused so much distortion, that the camera's image auto-stabilizer could not keep up with it.
Also, I don't like video that keeps swishing from left to right, ( helmet mounted cameras aggravate me in this regard )

The best videos that I have seen come from gyro compensated cameras, and from Bullet cameras mounted in the fairing centered as close as possible over the front wheel.

In all cases here, my definition of too much vibration is: Image Distortion or fuzziness.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Garage
Monopole mount.

I saw a friend carry his golf clubs in the bag off of the trailer hitch.
He secured the bag to the passenger hand holds, it rode totally solid, with me following him, I could not see any movement at all.

I would refrain from using the trunk lid/body as a securing point.
the ABS is too fragile, and it breaks easily.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i've never had a camera but those are the things i was concerned about. i like the idea of the gyro compensated camera, will look into those. Have seen video from folks that used a monopole, high mount in the back, provides good perspective. Will look into bullet camera too.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenvect View Post
yeah, i've never had a camera but those are the things i was concerned about. i like the idea of the gyro compensated camera, will look into those. Have seen video from folks that used a monopole, high mount in the back, provides good perspective. Will look into bullet camera too.
I kind of like this idea, have not tried it yet, as I mentioned earlier.

I have a Wheel Witness Hi-Def dashcam, used a 3M sticky tape to hold it to the windshield. the mounting bracket they supply is fragile, the screws fell out, and now it is useless.

I have a Garmin '30' series dashcam. It is neat in that it has a G-force sensor and will trap 3 minutes before, and 3 minutes after a severe event.
That event is stored in a folder call "Events"

Wish I had left it on my daughter's car 2 years ago, a deer jumped a hedge row, and totalled out her car.....

I had the Dashcam in the hotel room messing around with it, pulling off videos. Never dreamed that she would be needing it.

It uses a suction cup, seems to stay stuck because the camera is so light, only a few ounces.

~ John

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:51 PM

Garage
Monopole mount:

if you sprung for one of the 360 degree view cameras, that would give the most awesome recording of them all.

~ John

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

ha, yeah, sounds exactly like something i'd do . yeah, already starting to think 360 deg. saw the video from a guy that referenced use of a monopole mount, was great perspective and very clear, steady video, was impressed. But it was just video, no pics of the mount or system used. Must not be real common because i'm not finding much so far. His wasn't on a goldwing either, so hoping to find someone that's installed. Have never been interested in a camera before, but have some great trips planned, would be nice to capture some of it.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:23 AM

Garage
did some looking, these aren't quite what you and I envision.

https://www.gopole.com/

This is a discussion on mounting methods.
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-preppin...shooting-tips/

https://www.teletrafficuk.com/produc...pt-motorcycle/

~ John

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Thx. How about something like this? Or possibly mount monopole to antenna base? Too much stress? I wouldn’t think so if people use suction cups for camera mounts...camera must not have too much drag - but pole arm will definitely exacerbate the loads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 368BE1E8-7B0C-4E4E-869F-928F5769F716_1566772812353.jpg (32.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg FD205B5E-26EB-49ED-A33C-AB21596989AD_1566772835774.jpg (98.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BD931D4C-44FC-4B8D-9063-B2CB4E26829E_1566772897276.jpg (113.2 KB, 14 views)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Year: 2004
Model: , 1982 GL1100 Standard, 2004 GL 1800
I have a Bullet HD and I mounted it underneath the fairing on the right side adjacent to the wheel. It is not in the way and has anti vibration and sound. Really gives a good picture. You do get part of the wheel in the video but I wasn't looking to sell videos of my trips. Has all the features you could ask for and is a tad expensive. I've been happy with it for several years.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page