Finally laid her over... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200A
Finally laid her over...

I'd decided I'd take a trip over to Iowa City for the long weekend (it's around a 400 mile round-trip) and apparently decided to start the journey in a memorable way, but dumping the 1200 in the driveway.

I'd decided to wear some new boots for the trip and apparently they're just a wee bit longer in the toe than I'm used to. Since I tend to warm the bike up and climb over while it's running, I managed to toe the shift lever into first while getting on - the bike jumped forward, folded the side stand and down she went. Fortunately, I was able to slow the fall to little more than a soft landing, but there was no way I could hold her up enough to prevent it. She landed right on the guards and sustained no damage. Fortunately I still have enough left in my tank to get her back upright, but I paid for it in soreness the day after.

That said, I felt pretty stupid. Since then I've been warming her up and then shutting her down, getting on and starting again.

Aside from that, the trip was pretty good. It's not very scenic, being mostly the Interstate, but traffic was generally light and I rarely had to dip below 80. The bike held up beautifully, made 38mpg on the way there and 34 fighting a rough wind on the way back.

I did wind up with some oily feet, as the rocker covers are seeping. I think the rubber retainers that actually hold it on are long-since shot, but I've been super timid about dropping the exhaust, removing the crash bars and trying to get the bolts free to replace them. I'm not very well equipped to handle breaking studs or snapping those weird shouldered bolts. The only other concern is the exhaust leak that I still haven't managed to track down. The bike is plenty loud because of it, and I don't care for it. Fortunately I ride with earplugs so I don't notice much once I'm underway.

So, all in all, a fun ride. Glad I did it, and I'm certainly glad I got some seat time in before winter inevitably eats Chicagoland alive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190830_160009c.jpg (70.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190831_125636.jpg (94.8 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:17 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
It won't be the last time. Watch the videos of how to pick up a big bike correctly.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:41 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
I've been super timid about dropping the exhaust, removing the crash bars and trying to get the bolts free to replace them.

PB Blaster is your friend.

I have seen a 110 pound (soaking wet) girl pick up a GL1500 Gold Wing.....!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:02 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I learned to approach the bike to mount from the bike's left side, same with trike. That way, I don't take my left foot off the ground until seated. I stand near the bike or trike on it's left side, facing it. I raise my right leg high and extend my leg out, over the seat . and one hop towards bike or trike gets right leg across the seat. Only thing over on far side there is a brake pedal.

Glad you didn't get body parts caught under bike.

Bought my '85 Aspencade in 1995, read an article in a Gold Book one night soon after on righting a GL, next day I was getting bike out, grass was damp, I come up slight hill and rear spun, bike stopped & went down.
A little "salt" for you. She got it done too. This is NC drill team a few years ago. I think she weighs near 110 at most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pick Up Wing NCDrTm 050215 VA-R.jpg (175.3 KB, 22 views)
Shorty Thompson likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Fortunately, walking the bike back up isn't that bad - if it was, I'm not sure I'd have been able to do it alone. I'm heavily arthritic and am bone-on-bone in both knees - it's just not a comfortable process, lol.

I figure as long as I've got pavement or something to grip the boots well, it's not so bad. I'd hate to have to try doing it on gravel or dirt.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Happens to the best of us. I dropped my 12 last summer. It was fully loaded with about 150# of camp gear. It took a lot to pull it up. The technique in the video was very helpful.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:31 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
I've noticed that the bike is easier to pick up when you first drop it. Must be the adrenal gland working overtime wanting to get the bike up before someone sees it on it's side.
CrystalPistol likes this.

Charlie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:45 PM

Year: 1993
Model: '93 GL1500 SE "Blue Angel"
Send a message via Skype™ to gipsy42
Virto;
Don't you feel bad, I beat you.
Last year I did the same as you did; with the difference of having made a wrong movement and end up with a broken #12 vertebra.
Ride safe.

Mario
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:31 PM

Year: 1986 ,1984 , 1982 , 1985 , 1983 .
Make: Honda , honda , honda , honda , Suzuki
Model: Interstate , Aspencade , Interstate
I'm 5'4" tall, I weigh in at 190+ lbs. I'm 60 years old. I live by a simple philosophy. If you can't pick it up, you shouldn't be riding it. I've grunted it up the wrong way twice, but I got it up. On a brighter note however. I watched another man that had to have 3 other people help him upright his Voyager. Lean how o pick it up the right way.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Thompson View Post
I'm 5'4" tall, I weigh in at 190+ lbs. I'm 60 years old. I live by a simple philosophy. If you can't pick it up, you shouldn't be riding it. I've grunted it up the wrong way twice, but I got it up. On a brighter note however. I watched another man that had to have 3 other people help him upright his Voyager. Lean how o pick it up the right way.

Howdy to another Illinois-ian.

Yep, that's kinda how I feel about it. Whenever it gets to the point that I'm unable to ride safely and pick a bike up solo, I'll probably look into moving to a trike.

Fortunately, I've got plenty of experience picking up bikes from my youth, and nothing about walking the bike back up again was new to me, but it was certainly the heaviest bike I've lifted, and I'm certainly the oldest I've ever been. Given my back and knee issues, I'm sure my doc would tell me to consider giving up riding, but no way am I doing that.
AZgl1800, PAPete, gipsy42 and 2 others like this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page