I've met God today or so he thought - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
I've met God today or so he thought

Wife ,I ,my son and GF wrote some nice backroads to Titusville not far from where Kennedy launches take place. We stoped and had lunch by the water surrounded by beautiful views.
On return home we took a more direct route because of the heat.
Rt 1in that are is a 4 lane road with very little traffic. We were traveling North on this road when I saw two fire trucks going South. After we past the interception point they made a U turn and were about half a mile behind us with the siren on. It was only them and us on the two North lanes. My son and us were on right lane on the far right side. The fire trucks passed us on the left lane and when they got even with us they blasted their siren to the max as in" get the F out of the way"
There was absolutely no reason for that as they had plenty of room.
I think the law says to give them the right of way and stop IF necessarily. about a quarter mile from that point they made a right in which I had a chance to give them the middle finger.
Whats your take on this?

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:36 PM

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500 SE
Being a firefighter for almost thirty years in my younger days I know there are some drivers that will use the siren as needed and others that will never let off of it. Sounds like you had one of the latter. I don't think the siren was on MAX as they passed you, it just sounded that way since they were right there next to you. I agree that it was unnecessary in a way but I can tell you that in those thirty years, 25 of which I also drove the trucks I had people that had no clue at all you were coming since they never used their mirrors, and this included motorcycles and next thing you know they cut you off. While not necessary to keep the siren going nowadays with electronic sirens I personally would have given it a few blips as I was coming by to make sure I had your attention. As far as flipping them off, That I do not think was appropriate, these guys have a tough enough job as it is and need public support not hate. Just think of it this way, if it were your property burning would you want them to not use the siren because it might upset someone? I have had cops do that to me where they either started right next to me, came up on me so fast I never saw them coming or they came out of a side street and again I never saw them but when that siren goes off in your ear and you never knew it was there I can tell you it give the adrenaline gland a workout!!! I have almost crashed twice due to that, usually into the car next to me.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Retired from Phoenix Fire Dept, AZ.

rarely did our guys hold the siren down all the time....
it would be used appropriately depending on the circumstances.

coming up behind you, the would give a blip to get you to look in your mirrors, but with you all the way over to the right edge of the pavement ( I assume that is what you did? )

they would have just kept tooting it on occasion to be sure no cross traffic got in the way.

Here in Oologah, OK.... IF they are running to an emergency, they hold it down because they will be overtaking traffic.

most of us around here, pull over and slow down or completely stop:
yes, even on the interstates.....

I think you should have hugged the right edge, and slowed way down.
make it obvious to them you know they are there.

IMO, you were wrong to give them any uncourteous actions.

they don't need that hassle. they are already stressed out.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Firemen are just a bunch of thrill seekers, anyway. I mean, these are the guys who will run into a burning building to save your dog, who's cowering from the flames in the back bedroom. These are the guys who get up in the middle of the night and rush to you because you are having chest pains...

...These are the guys who risk their lives to get to your motorcycle accident as quickly as possible, just in case more than your ego has been hurt.

Maybe, just maybe, they deserve our utmost courtesy.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:00 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
Wife ,I ,my son and GF wrote some nice backroads to Titusville not far from where Kennedy launches take place. We stoped and had lunch by the water surrounded by beautiful views.
On return home we took a more direct route because of the heat.
Rt 1in that are is a 4 lane road with very little traffic. We were traveling North on this road when I saw two fire trucks going South. After we past the interception point they made a U turn and were about half a mile behind us with the siren on. It was only them and us on the two North lanes. My son and us were on right lane on the far right side. The fire trucks passed us on the left lane and when they got even with us they blasted their siren to the max as in" get the F out of the way"
There was absolutely no reason for that as they had plenty of room.
I think the law says to give them the right of way and stop IF necessarily. about a quarter mile from that point they made a right in which I had a chance to give them the middle finger.
Whats your take on this?
Well, at least we know the fire trucks presence was no surprise...
but the drivers of those fire trucks didn't have this knowledge.

If they hadn't sounded the blast and were passing a motorcycle or two whose riders didn't know they were there, if one or both motorcycles became "involved" with a fire truck "on a mission", and again if there had been no warning blast, could have been ugly in civil court. I know, the blast are sudden and LOUD and there probably is no volume control, but the driver of the fire truck has what he has and a lot of other to deal with.

They probably didn't see your finger salute.
Peter Goldwing likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:12 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I think the actions on both sides were uncalled for.
Peter Goldwing likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Year: 1992
Model: Aspencade 1500
The 2019 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

316.126 Operation of vehicles and actions of pedestrians on approach of an authorized emergency, sanitation, or utility service vehicle.
(1)(a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, while en route to meet an existing emergency, the driver of every other vehicle shall, when such emergency vehicle is giving audible signals by siren, exhaust whistle, or other adequate device, or visible signals by the use of displayed blue or red lights, yield the right-of-way to the emergency vehicle and shall immediately proceed to a position parallel to, and as close as reasonable to the closest edge of the curb of the roadway, clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
that pretty details the law here in Oklahoma.
I would imagine it is much the same in all 50 states.

~ John

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:04 PM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
I have seen many drivers, motorcycles included that do not yield the right of way to emergency vehicles. Even if the vehicle is coming from the opposite direction, you should at least slow down and move to the right side of the lane.

The use of the siren , and lights, is for people to know there is an emergency vehicle coming.

No i am not a firefighter or ambulance driver or a police officer, but I do yield to all of them. You have no idea what the actual emergency is.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Rambozo, thats a great find. But I think it applies on a two lane road only. I would assume that you're not required to stop when you are traveling a multilane road . If so 99% of the drivers are at fault.
According to that paragraph even the cars that come from the opposing direction have to do the same.
Imagine that on 12 lane rd.

More over here is an extract from the same article

"While en route to such emergency, the emergency vehicle shall otherwise proceed in a manner consistent with the laws regulating vehicular traffic upon the highways of this state.
(4) This section does not diminish or enlarge any rules of evidence or liability in any case involving the operation of an emergency vehicle.
(5) This section does not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.

Have in mind that I rod at at least the highway speed. They made a u turn behind me and caught up to me within 3/4 mile. That tells you they travelled at a very high speed.

I mostly agree with Daves statement. Thanks for all the comments
Peace

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page