Back in the saddle again - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2005
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 30th year anniversary model
Back in the saddle again

Well, I just couldn't stay away. I bought a 'wing after being bike deficient for these last several years. First it was the sciatica that caused me to sell my previous 'wing. Then, when I was thinking about maybe riding again, I needed surgery on my right shoulder. Some time has gone by since the surgery and my shoulder rehab is done. I also waited for a while after rehab was done to make sure I wasn't going to inadvertently mess it up again.
Today I purchased a 2005 30th Anniversary model in dark gray with 53000 on the odometer. I couldn't believe how much I missed riding until I got on it for the test ride.
There are some things I will have to change. The windshield is one of them. The seat another. One lucky thing is that the previous owner must have been as vertically inseam challenged as I am. I can sit on it and flat foot both feet with a 30" inseam without having to stand up. I need to have the seat built up in the area of the gluts and leave the rest like it is. It may take a couple of tries to get it just right but that's okay with me.
As for the windshield, that has a curl at the top and it is at just the right place for my eyes to see right in that spot. Massive distortion is the problem. Easy fix.
So, yeah, back in the saddle.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes. - James Tiberius Kirk

Good health is merely the slowest rate at which you will still die. - Anon.

Don't worry about old age. It doesn't last very long. - Anon.

Common sense doesn't seem to be all that common anymore. - Me (an adaptation of Voltaire's quote)

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow. - The Procrastinators Code

PHD - taking your BS to a higher level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:43 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Welcome back.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
glad to have you back again.

I suggest you investigate the Madstad windshield, it is completely configurable at anytime, for any situation that you might be encountering.

www.madstad.com is the manufacturer

www.CycleMax.com is the vendor

and the 1800 windshield is at this link.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1...dshield/330530

I can tell you, that IMO, it is the best screen out there on the market for us old foggies who need to adjust to different conditions.

My body no longer adjusts to climate control, when the temps exceed 85F I am done for, I have to find A/C or more air in my face.

So, I just lean forward, unlock the two buttons on the screen, and slide it down to the bottom which is about 6 inches above the dashmat. That lets me get a lot of air onto my chest and keeps me cool enough to continue my rides.

Prior to this, I was using the Tulsa Tall which was 2 inches higher than my helmet, and I was melting down into heatstroke conditions....

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

A friend of mine has been riding with a Madstad for more then 100k miles and swears by it.
(You'll have to forgive him for riding HD's. It was a bad habit he developed while young and in the Navy.)
Anyway, I'll give it a go. At 5'10" the site recommends the 14" so that is what I'll order. Do you have a shaded one or did you go clear? My friend has the light gray.

Common sense doesn't seem to be all that common anymore. - Me (an adaptation of Voltaire's quote)

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I went with Clear because my Shoei helmet has an internal grey sunshade and I also have a pair of prescription sunglasses that I can press into service.

at times, I enjoy using the yellow sunglasses, seems to give me more depth of perception, things are just more sharp at distance when I am looking thru the yellow ones.

~ John

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I have yellow flip-ups for my glasses and really like them. I would like to get a yellow shade for my Nolan N43 but I guess they don't make them anymore.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Got the Madstad installed. Test ride on a short trip gave good results. I could tell there was less buffeting. I need to hit the highway to get it up to my normal cruise speed to see how it does then.
Also found a local automotive/motorcycle upholsterer that will work on the seat. He knows what I'm going thru as he too has sciatica. He is a bit busy and asked me to come back in a couple of weeks.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page